most important newcomer for the coming season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

most important newcomer for the coming season

i like many of the players named, especially Reed and Stonehouse.

But I think the biggest newcomer to this team is going to be Rocky Long. Though Tony White did a fine job and brought the defense up to a level we haven’t seen in a long time.

No dig on him but while there was major improvement on defense under Tony, he never figured out how to stop a good running team and he inability to make adjustments when teams started running on us with success cost us some really important games.

I think Rocky is going to take the defense to the next level. He is the master of the 3-3-5 and will show it this year. I expect our run defense will be much improved and we will finally see a lot of the switching of roles the defense is known for when he coaches it.

Watch our for Bellamy at CB. I think he might surprise there.
Wait. Are you just saying Rocky so that you can give the same answer next year? Because I doubt he plays at all this year.

I’m going with More at RT. I think he brings immediate competency. I wanna say Reed but do we know he is going to start day 1 like we know More is? Physically Reed is easily the best OL prospect on the team. Excited to see what that means on the field.

Wait. Are you just saying Rocky so that you can give the same answer next year? Because I doubt he plays at all this year.
I thought the word newcomer includes anyone associated with the program.

If you want to limit this to just players, I will pick Stonehouse. Our punting was really bad last year. Maybe the worst in the ACC.

Awful distance, awful hang time, and we had some punts blocked too. The trifecta of stank.

I expect in 2023, Stonehouse will be one of the top 3 or 4 punters in the ACC.

If Reed could be as good as Vet was last year (and cut down on the penalties), I would be thrilled.

So I am picking Stonehouse because if he is even average, that would represent a huge improvement for the team in 2023.

If you want to limit this to just players, I will pick Stonehouse. Our punting was really bad last year. Maybe the worst in the ACC.

Awful distance, awful hang time, and we had some punts blocked too. The trifecta of stank.

If Reed could be as good as Vet was last year (and cut down on the penalties), I would be thrilled.

So I am picking Stonehouse because if he is even average, that would represent a huge improvement for the team in 2023.
In Jack we trust

I was just busting on you since the OP said someone that hasn't played a down yet. I'm certainly looking forward to what Rocky will do for us.

‘Trifecta of stank”, classic - This is the stuff that keeps me coming here.

White did an amazing job. Im sure Rocky has him beat on the X and Os but how do the kids respond to him. They would run through a wall for White

White did an amazing job. Im sure Rocky has him beat on the X and Os but how do the kids respond to him. They would run through a wall for White
I am as big a fan of White as anyone and I agree that I think you pointed out his best attribute. Getting buy in and passionate/hard play out of his unit.

However, I am hoping Rocky can fix one thing that bothered me that I never wanted to bring up (I hate being negative about current personnel and he had an exponential increase in effectiveness over the last regime)

The one issue is that I thought White consistently took something off his fastball whenever he had a margin of safety instead of tightening the vice grip on the offense. These situations were anytime we had 3rd and more than 5 to go and 4th quarter leads where I thought we turned into a marshmallow at times (we blew a few Q4 leads under him actually)

I hope Rocky brings the pain for 4 downs and 4 quarters, we certainly have the athletes for it!

Last edited:
Looking at the roster it is great to see so many Eastern kids. This year's incoming NY list is very impressive.

Goddard Clement and Perry all look like grown men. Pretty impressive trio

I am as big a fan of White as anyone and I agree that I think you pointed out his best attribute. Getting buy in and passionate/hard play out of his unit.

However, I am hoping Rocky can fix one thing that bothered me that I never wanted to bring up (I hate being negative about current personnel and he had an exponential increase in effectiveness over the last regime)

The one issue is that I thought White consistently took something off his fastball whenever he had a margin of safety instead of tightening the vice grip on the offense. These situations were anytime we had 3rd and more than 5 to go and 4th quarter leads where I thought we turned into a marshmallow at times (we blew a few Q4 leads under him actually)

I hope Rocky brings the pain for 4 downs and 4 quarters, we certainly have the athletes for it!
We’ve been a marshmallow for 20+ years on third and long. i Have no stats only emotion but it feels like we are the worst at this. it’s Usually some well crafted play or worse yet some sort of personal foul which gives the other team first down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom