Most overrated team? | Syracusefan.com

Most overrated team?

It’s going to be delicious when we end Tag’s stay at FSU with a brutal old fashion yankee beatdown in Tallahassee. Slam the door on his hype in 2018, slam the door on his career in 2019.

We aren’t reloading, 95% of our talent is back.

I think many outsiders are cautious about our team. Those who don’t follow closely see the loss of Dungey as monumental. We also came off back to back 4-8 seasons before winning 10 games last year. These experts like to point out the fact the ACC was down last year.

It’s not their fault, but I can understand the view.

Last edited:
I think many outsiders are cautious about are team. Those who don’t follow closely see the loss of Dungey as monumental. We also came off back to back 4-8 seasons before winning 10 games last year. These experts like to point out the fact the ACC was down last year.

It’s not their fault, but I can understand the view.

DearAdeptFishingcat-size_restricted.gif

Not awful, consensus 2nd or 3rd with a 50% choice to beat FSU on the road. Nothing to complain about there.
For the most part, I think the majority of the previews for the 2019 campaign have been fair. Even when we are being talked about as taking a step backwards, most have us winning 8-9 games. The level of respect we are gaining is great to see.

Sort of hedging bets with some teams in the overrated column also in the underrated column. Obviously not much conviction.

Very fair. I mean we all just want to see what transpires week 1 and 2 going into Clemson. Not all but a number of questions will be answered or at least partially answered those first two games. Until then it's hard to tamper excitement or be upset by a few doubts out there by analysts.

Sort of hedging bets with some teams in the overrated column also in the underrated column. Obviously not much conviction.

I don't think anyone has a feel about the ACC. NC State should take a step back because they lost a lot more than we did. Who knows with FSU? They theoretically have a ton of talent, but can their o line improve? Wake might be the most underrated, I feel like they will end up 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic; but again, who knows? I think we're going to be really good, but even 8-4 is a great season for our program; though technically it would be a step back. I'm sure BC will win their customary 6 games. Will a Coastal team step up; though I imagine everyone is cheering for UVA to be the 7th team in 7 years to win the division.

after Slayton, im not sure we lost anything that isnt replaced with a higher ceiling.. now as to whether that means these guys play with the same consistency time will tell. ED was the heart but he also almost lost the job too. 7-8 might be disappointing but its still a step in the right direction. next yr is the yr that shows if we have trended.. i can see 7-11 this yr.. next yr worries me

after Slayton, im not sure we lost anything that isnt replaced with a higher ceiling.. now as to whether that means these guys play with the same consistency time will tell. ED was the heart but he also almost lost the job too. 7-8 might be disappointing but its still a step in the right direction. next yr is the yr that shows if we have trended.. i can see 7-11 this yr.. next yr worries me
Slayton, Dungey, both OTs, Guthrie, Custis as a 6ft 5” deep threat — going to miss those guys. Those losses are offset in part by improvements in other spots. The questions are injuries, pass protection, durability and escapability at QB. And how good are the opponents?

I'm cautious about this season because of 2 reasons. We have no idea how this OL is going to do yet and I'm extremely worried about the interior DL. RF has assured me there is nothing to be worried about but so far I'm right in my concerns as 1 of the 3 got hurt and is now out. There's no way we can hold up inside with only two guys. I don't care to hear about the warm body backups they've shown zero in 2 seasons including springs. We may be extremely susceptible to power running inside and then pray our LBs can hold up at the point of attack.

I'm thinking 8-4 ceiling but could see 7-5 or 9-3 depending on how things break. Beating FSU at their place will still be a tall order.

Last edited:

Well, since the season hasn't started yet, you would think that a lack of conviction would be appropriate.

Well, since the season hasn't started yet, you would think that a lack of conviction would be appropriate.
Not when creating a list of underrated/overrated teams. If you don't have a strong opinion about it, why bother writing about it? If a team is overrated, can't put it as underrated too.

Clemson not being even challenged made me laugh. We have given them fits the last several years. Granted we may not win, but let's not act like they are going to steamroll everyone either.

Clemson not being even challenged made me laugh. We have given them fits the last several years. Granted we may not win, but let's not act like they are going to steamroll everyone either.

There's a very good chance that's exactly what happens. They are going to have more high first round picks on offense than most NFL teams do. They have a QB and TB that are Heisman front runners, and that's for a reason.

Not when creating a list of underrated/overrated teams. If you don't have a strong opinion about it, why bother writing about it? If a team is overrated, can't put it as underrated too.

It was the input of multiple people.

The answer is anyone in the PAC 12 that gets ranked until that conference wins a game vs a decent P5 team.

I don't think UCLA has a shot @ Cinci who isn't even P5 and I bet Auby goes 2-0 vs UW and UO week 1 back to back years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see WSU pick up a loss vs the AACk when they travel to Houston week 3.

Probably basing it on how Clemson did following the Syracuse game last year and who returns. It's not an outlandish take but I don't think it will happen.

Probably basing it on how Clemson did following the Syracuse game last year and who returns. It's not an outlandish take but I don't think it will happen.
Clemmy is rolling. They put on a show the end of the year. And Dino is going to need to do a masterful job in keeping a lid on our boys talking smack prior to the game. Remember fellas - Lawrence missed the 2nd half in our game. He's likely the best player in the country.

Clemson could easily be a huge blowout
QB - 1st rounder and maybe 1st pick overall
RB - 1st rounder
WR - 1st rounder
Oh they lost their DL, np incoming 5 stars that will be 1st rounders etc etc etc

Slayton, Dungey, both OTs, Guthrie, Custis as a 6ft 5” deep threat — going to miss those guys. Those losses are offset in part by improvements in other spots. The questions are injuries, pass protection, durability and escapability at QB. And how good are the opponents?
We don't know how those losses will affect us. Prior to last year, we didn't know Custis would be able to do what he did. We're better equipped to replace him than we were when replacing Ishmael. It's the same story at LB. We could take a step back or we could be better. If the staff has recruited well we should be about the same at OL, but it's an unknown at this point.

Where we're most likely to drop back is with replacing Slayton. We may also get an idea of how much Dungey has bailed us out of trouble the last few years but hopefully TD's better passing and wider variety of weapons trumps that.

There's always a chance we drop back a bit, partly because the chance things that went for us last year could go against us this year. Overall, I think we'll be a better team though.

Last edited:
We don't know hownthose losses will affect us. Prior to last year, we didn't know Custis would be able to do what he did. We're better equipped to replace him than we were when replacing Ishmael. It's the same story at LB. We could take a step back or we could be better. If the staff has recruited well we should be about the same at OL, but it's an unknown at this point.

Where we're most likely to drop back is with replacing Slayton. We may also get an idea of how much Dungey has bailed us out of trouble the last few years but hopefully TD's better passing and wider variety of weapons trumps that.

There's always a chance we drop back a bit, partly because the chance things that went for us last year could go against us this year. Overall, I think we'll be a better team though.

Amba, Ish, Curtis... I think T Jack is the next man up but given Devito throws a better long ball we have handful of guys that can prep the top off defenses this year IF the OL allow time.

Things that will be hard to make up for is Slaytons strength, motor, and self less work and Dungeys pure ability to personally will us to first downs and redzone tds BUT unlike years past we've got capable next men up. Hell Tommy sounds like and has identical demeanor to Dino in interviews and we KNOW he's got a winners mentality and can absolutely sling it. Inside Ruff and Black and co are freakshows as well and should be working vs single blocks due to DEs... We just need the LB group to grow quickly and keep our D off the field for extended series to keep the boys fresh