Most wide open college football season ever? | Syracusefan.com

Most wide open college football season ever?

Eric15

Living Legend
Can anyone remember a college football season that was so incredibly wide open as this one? A 16 team playoff this year would be the most exciting sporting event of all-time.

There is literally no team on this list that couldn't defeat any other team on this list.

1Mississippi State7-0
2Florida State7-0
3Auburn6-1
4Ole Miss7-1
5Oregon7-1
6Alabama7-1
7TCU6-1
8Michigan State7-1
9Kansas State6-1
10Notre Dame6-1
11Georgia6-1
12Arizona6-1
13Baylor6-1
14Arizona State6-1
15Nebraska7-1
16Ohio State6-1
17Utah6-1
18Oklahoma5-2
19LSU7-2
20West Virginia6-2

With so many of these teams playing each other down the stretch, it feels like one big playoff.

Just burns my retinas seeing West Virginia on that list. Gameday there this weekend. So jealous.

Can anyone remember a college football season that was so incredibly wide open as this one? A 16 team playoff this year would be the most exciting sporting event of all-time.

There is literally no team on this list that couldn't defeat any other team on this list.

1Mississippi State7-0
2Florida State7-0
3Auburn6-1
4Ole Miss7-1
5Oregon7-1
6Alabama7-1
7TCU6-1
8Michigan State7-1
9Kansas State6-1
10Notre Dame6-1
11Georgia6-1
12Arizona6-1
13Baylor6-1
14Arizona State6-1
15Nebraska7-1
16Ohio State6-1
17Utah6-1
18Oklahoma5-2
19LSU7-2
20West Virginia6-2
it's such a shame they made the regular season so meaningless with this giant 4 team playoff!

did you guys see the 538 column yesterday about it? it's so dumb i don't even want to link it

it's such a shame they made the regular season so meaningless with this giant 4 team playoff!

did you guys see the 538 column yesterday about it? it's so dumb i don't even want to link it

Crazy isn't it? I love this every week is a playoff thing going on right now.

UGA currently sitting 11th but win and their in. ESPN talking about it this am with having the highest proability of winning the SEC (43%) and vegas has them joint highest to win the Natty at 6:1. I said similar about them on Monday and now Gurley will be back for Auburn as well. Nice to have a dawg in the fight since SU aren't close.

Just burns my retinas seeing West Virginia on that list. Gameday there this weekend. So jealous.

Holgerson went from hot seat to game day in year 3.

year 1 / 7-6
year 2 / 4-8
year 3 / 6-2

The only fraud in the top 16 IMO is Ohio State. They have beaten up a bunch of mediocre/bad B1G teams and were destroyed by a bad Virginia Tech team. They aren't good Michigan State will smoke them next week.
IMO we are getting 2 SEC teams then I would say the order of controlling their own destiny looks like this.
2 SEC teams.

Florida State(they win out)
Oregon, Utah, Arizona(if they win out) Pac-12 1 loss team is a lock for the 4th slot IMO.

TCU(if they win out)
Michigan State(if they win out)
Notre Dame(if they win out)
Kansas State(if they win out)

I always like to think back to 2007 when the number one and number two team in the country that week both lost in the second to last and last week of the season. Four top two teams going down in the last two weeks!!

year 1 / 7-6
year 2 / 4-8
year 3 / 6-2
Holgerson had Trickett fall into his lap because of Jameis Winston and the guy give him credit has recruited the hell of Texas, Jucos, and Florida to bring in talent to WVU on both sides of the ball. Rich-Rod/Stewart never recruited any defensive talent.

year 1 / 7-6
year 2 / 4-8
year 3 / 6-2
he took all the great parts of the air raid (simplicity, repetition) and said hey we can run out of this.

180 ypg on the ground

They're average in yards per play defense 5.36. a little better than average in yards per play offense 6.15. and they amplify it by running a million plays

It's not that hard to be top 25. be 59th in defense, be 40th in offense, take that slight advantage and multiply it by as many plays as possible.

their yards per play margin is .79, our's is .34.

we don't run enough plays. 59th in offensive plays. part of that is stupid drive killing playcalling but some of that is just pace

And expanding the playoffs beyond 4 would be dumb. Devalues the regular season.

And expanding the playoffs beyond 4 would be dumb. Devalues the regular season.
The only reason to expand the playoffs is $$$. The NFL which has a great postseason structure is going to expand to 14 teams for money.

If college football went to an 8 team playoff and gave each P5 conference automatic berth and then had 3 at-large wild cards. How the hell would the regular season be devalued? You would need to win your conference to get a playoff berth and would still be encouraged to play a tough non-conference schedule to be able to show the committee you were worthy of an at-large bid.

You know what is devalued? Regular season college basketball, NBA, NHL games. Who the hell cares as you play a lot of games. Football games will never be devalued. The only people who like the current system are organizers/501 c(3) employees of bowl games that make 6 figures a year to do nothing, but host a bowl game.

I feel like Bama found their stride and they will continue to destroy teams.

How does 8/126 teams making a playoff devalue the regular season?
Then you'll start getting teams with multiple losses with a shot at the National Title

I think the perfect playoff system for college would be just like the NFL… 12 teams, with the Top 4 teams getting byes for having elite regular seasons. That would constitute less than 10% of teams making the playoff, which is still far less than college basketball or any pro sport.

Then you'll start getting teams with multiple losses with a shot at the National Title

So? A 2-loss LSU team won the BCS in 07. If the P5 conferences start playing more OOC games against other P5 teams, you're going to get more OOC losses.

The 10-6 New York Giants beat the 16-0 New England Patriots in Feb 2008(this loss still hurts)
The 9-7 New York beat the 13-3 New England Patriots in Feb 2012( loss didn't hurt because this Pats team wasn't that good)

All sports have multiple loss champions. LSU won the FB title in 07 with 2 losses. Being undefeated doesn't make you the best or else Marshall would be a NC contender this year. Give me the 5conference champions from the B1G, ACC, SEC, B12, P12, and 3 at-large teams and you have a fair playoff.

The 10-6 New York Giants beat the 16-0 New England Patriots in Feb 2008(this loss still hurts)
The 9-7 New York beat the 13-3 New England Patriots in Feb 2012( loss didn't hurt because this Pats team wasn't that good)

All sports have multiple loss champions. LSU won the FB title in 07 with 2 losses. Being undefeated doesn't make you the best or else Marshall would be a NC contender this year. Give me the 5conference champions from the B1G, ACC, SEC, B12, P12, and 3 at-large teams and you have a fair playoff.
Eventually people started blasting the old BCS Bowls because of automatic berths. Some teams having three extra games is a little excessive with conference title games and everything.

Eventually people started blasting the old BCS Bowls because of automatic berths. Some teams having three extra games is a little excessive with conference title games and everything.
People blasted the old BCS rules because they capped the appearances by conference to a max of 2 per season. When the SEC would have 4 worthy BCS teams.

There were 4 BCS Bowls and 6 automatic qualifiers Big East, ACC, Big XII, Big Ten, Pac-12, SEC. That left only 2 at-large spots and when they expanded to 5 BCS bowls there were 4 at-large bids and the SEC could only get 1 of those 4 which let unworthy Pac-12/B1G/ACC/B12 teams get an extra bid whent he SEC should have gotten 2 or 3 some years.

I doubt the SEC would object if there was an 8 team playoff that the B1G/B12/ACC/P12 should get 1 slot as long as there were 3 at-large spots which the SEC would probably vie for 2 most years and pretty much be guaranteed to 1 at-large each seson.

People blasted the old BCS rules because they capped the appearances by conference to a max of 2 per season. When the SEC would have 4 worthy BCS teams.

There were 4 BCS Bowls and 6 automatic qualifiers Big East, ACC, Big XII, Big Ten, Pac-12, SEC. That left only 2 at-large spots and when they expanded to 5 BCS bowls there were 4 at-large bids and the SEC could only get 1 of those 4 which let unworthy Pac-12/B1G/ACC/B12 teams get an extra bid whent he SEC should have gotten 2 or 3 some years.

I doubt the SEC would object if there was an 8 team playoff that the B1G/B12/ACC/P12 should get 1 slot as long as there were 3 at-large spots which the SEC would probably vie for 2 most years and pretty much be guaranteed to 1 at-large each seson.
So one at large spot makes that much of a difference? Enough of a difference to warrant adding 2 extra weeks to some teams season? And to your point about LSU winning the title with 2 losses, if a 2 loss team can be one of the top 2 teams in the country, then how bad were the 7th and 8th teams? Brutal. I don't want them getting a shot at a national title, I'm sorry.

So one at large spot makes that much of a difference? Enough of a difference to warrant adding 2 extra weeks to some teams season? And to your point about LSU winning the title with 2 losses, if a 2 loss team can be one of the top 2 teams in the country, then how bad were the 7th and 8th teams? Brutal. I don't want them getting a shot at a national title, I'm sorry.
I guess every player at the FCS-D1-AA who plays for a playoff team(they have a 16 playoff) should sue for having to play extra games.
The only reason the bowl season exists is so people can make money with non-profits or have their corporation get a tax write off so they can sponsor a bowl game instead of paying that money to the government in taxes.

Go look at Auburn's road schedule they play/ed @ Kansas State, @Mississippi State, @Ole Miss, @Georgia, @Alabama so if 3-2 in those games against all top 11 teams they shouldn't get a shot at the NC, but Florida State has played Clemson, Notre Dame at home, @ Louisville and Florida at home should get a NC shot because they are undefeated? Auburn at 10-2 should be a playoff team.

Okay. I guess the best teams don't matter its just the teams with 0 or 1 losses that matter.

I guess every player at the FBS who plays for a playoff team should sue for having to play extra games.
The only reason the bowl season exists is so people can make money with non-profits or have their corporation get a tax write off so they can sponsor a bowl game instead of paying that money to the government in taxes.

Go look at Auburn's road schedule they play/ed @ Kansas State, @Mississippi State, @Ole Miss, @Georgia, @Alabama so if 3-2 in those games against all top 11 teams they shouldn't get a shot at the NC, but Florida State has played Clemson, Notre Dame at home, @ Louisville and Florida at home should get a NC shot because they are undefeated? Auburn at 10-2 should be a playoff team.

Okay. I guess the best teams don't matter its just the teams with 0 or 1 losses that matter.
Auburn is in the playoff right now. Four teams is perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom