Movies to watch during lockdown? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Movies to watch during lockdown?

Tonight my wife and I decided to introduce our kids to the Back to the Future trilogy. Should be fun.
My son was FIRED up at the end when he realized there was another movie, asked to make sure there was, then asked if we had it recorded too, and the answer was yes.

Also... if Back to the Future was made now I feel like Mayor Goldie Wilson would have a spinoff show on like Hulu or something.

And I'd watch it.

I'm impressed. Are you a cost accountant?
No, although I do like numbers. To this day, whenever I'm going down a long flight of stairs in an office building, I fear that the floor I'm going to won't really be there.

To show my age I am going to throw a couple of movies almost no one other than me has heard of but that I love from back when. the first is a movie called fate is the Hunter. It is about the investigation of a airplane crash. Glenn Ford stars. The second is Mirage with Gregory peck. If you are ever up at 2 a.m. and can't sleep, they might be on. Really liked both.
Back in the day, before movie channels or even VCRs, it was a big deal when networks showed theatrical movies. NBC used to have "Monday Night at the Movies," ABC had "Movie of the Week" and so on. I think I saw "Mirage" on the NBC movie night when I was about 7 or 8. I also remember seeing "The Birds" on NBC... a bit intense for a 7 year old.

Funny story...

Back in college we used to screen upcoming movies and the actors of the movies would attend the screening and discuss the movie business with us. We saw Empire Records during one screening and a young actress named Renee Zeilweger discussed the movie.

We had another screening of Mallrats. Pretty dumb movie. One of the actors came in. I thought he was pretty bad in the movie. Anyway, he was discussing what he was going to do next. Said he was headed up to Boston to shoot a movie that he and his best friend wrote.

The best friend was Matt Damon. The guy was Ben Affleck. The movie was Good Will Hunting.

Empire Records is probably in the top 5 of movies I've watched the most times in life.

Wes Anderson is my spirit animal.
I got to see him introduce/speak in a panel at a premier of Grand Budapest Hotel. That was something.
Fun Fact: my stepson is named Anderson because of him.

Fun Fact: my stepson is named Anderson because of him.
What is a spiritual Animal? Also i realize that we are all Animals but isnt strange to pick another human as ones spiritual Animal?

Just curious if we could start a thread with some good movie options during this time with nowhere to go. I will start...my wife and I are watching Bohemian Rhapsody tonight...
In the last couple weeks, I have watched

Iron Lady - Meryl Streep as Thatcher
Laudromat - Amusing story of Meryl Streep following the money trail
War Machine - Brad Pitt as General McMahon
Defiance - true story about 4 brothers sheltering over a thousand jews in the forests of Belorussia during the German occupation
Medici series with Dustin Hoffman as Giovanni de Medici
All on Netflix

What is a spiritual Animal? Also i realize that we are all Animals but isnt strange to pick another human as ones spiritual Animal?
Quoted wrong one on that one. Think it was meant for Zelda.

Dunkirk,
Glory,
Lawrence of Arabia,
Patton.

Movies about people heroically overcoming odds...even though some people die. The kind of stuff we need today. And they are all true stories
Hacksaw Ridge is another that would fit nicely on that list.

Just watched “The Peanut Butter Falcon” ... into my top 10 of all time right away. Nicest funniest most genuine movie ever and had some great cameos. Based on the character in the movie. A must watch
I watched that on an airplane a while back. It was so good.

Just watched “The Peanut Butter Falcon” ... into my top 10 of all time right away. Nicest funniest most genuine movie ever and had some great cameos. Based on the character in the movie. A must watch
That’s on tap for tonight. The trailer got me tearing up.

Reactions: cto
Glory has been one of my favorite movies since it's come out. My other favorites have changed, but it's always stayed with me. Love that movie.

Some others that I personally enjoy:
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Roadhouse
Point Break (original)
True Romance

I can watch all of them on loop.

Separately, my guilty pleasure of late 90s/early 00s romcoms:
10 Things I Hate About You
Can't Hardly Wait
She's All That
True Romance... My #1 favorite movie of all time.

In my more “bro” days (ok, maybe I still do it sometimes) that movie would be my go to move.

I’d always watch it with my date, and not too many have seen this movie so it’s always a good one to suggest. Women love it for the Arquette/Slater story arc, and then at the end... credits roll, music score plays, and I look over and say “You’re so cool...”

Works every time.

I’m watching an officer and a gentleman tonight with my wife

I used to date a woman who was raised Muslim and was not exposed to TV or radio growing up. We would have the best times getting wine, cheese, hummus or other noshables and watching old romantic classics.

Some of the movies she loved:

Casablanca

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Sabrina

It Happened One Night

Bringing Up Baby

These are all great to watch with a significant other.

The Bridge On the River Kwai
Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House

I used to date a woman who was raised Muslim and was not exposed to TV or radio growing up. We would have the best times getting wine, cheese, hummus or other noshables and watching old romantic classics.

Some of the movies she loved:

Casablanca

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Sabrina

It Happened One Night

Bringing Up Baby

These are all great to watch with a significant other.
I love all of those. Bringing Up Baby is in my top five. Kate and Cary are madcap magic.

'Dark Waters' is a spectacular movie now out now on PPV & Redbox. A true story based upon Dupont's decades of chemical waste (relative to its Teflon product) being dumped into land fills & the Ohio River in Parkersburg, WV. Mark Ruffalo is great in it, and it has a pretty solid cast as well. The movie was based upon this NY times article below.

I love all of those. Bringing Up Baby is in my top five. Kate and Cary are madcap magic.

Yes, they had some of the best chemistry I have ever seen on screen. Also, director Howard Hawks invented the rom-com.

Unbanned: The Legend of AJ1

On Hulu. All about how the first Air Jordans really shook things up both on and off the court. Right up my alley! Love how they give the context of the other b-ball sneaker brands/stars of the era before Jordan showed up first.

* There’s a very brief clip(like 2-3 seconds) of UNC running through their offense at the Dome. This must’ve been before they played Cuse in 83-84? The tourney wasn’t held at the Dome that year was it?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom