Movies to watch during lockdown? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Movies to watch during lockdown?

Watched contagion again last night it's like a blueprint of what we are going through right now.

Just watched “The Peanut Butter Falcon” ... into my top 10 of all time right away. Nicest funniest most genuine movie ever and had some great cameos. Based on the character in the movie. A must watch
Very sweet film. Thanks very much for the recommendation.

Watched with my wife and son. Both really enjoyed it.

Think I’m going to have my son watch About Time with us tomorrow. I love that picture

I'm jumping in on this action...

With the wife:
Just Friends (Ryan Reynolds is always clutch)
The Proposal (Ryan Reynolds... again, with Sandra Bullock)
Date Night (Steve Carrell & Tina Fey kill it - there is so many accuracies in it)
We're The Millers

Personal Favorites:
Book of Eli (I love how it tackles the values of Faith & Integrity without being sappy & cheesy)
Training Day (just too good not to watch)
Gladiator (I own the Extended Version DVD, just a few added minutes & scenes)
Lord of the Rings & the Hobbit Extended DVD Trilogies
Braveheart
The Patriot
The Edge of Tomorrow (Live. Die. Repeat. - Tom Cruise Sci-Fi where he relives the same day over & over)
Money Talks (Chris Tucker at his FINEST!)
Saving Private Ryan
Four Christmases (Vince Vaughn is hilarious - it's my favorite Christmas movie)
Band of Brothers Series
Zoolander*

Movie List Sleeper Pick:
The And1 Mixtape Tour DVD's! - I unashamedly grew up as a hooper loving the And1 Tour & modeling my game with a little handle & flare. I still to this day own ALL the DVD's - Every Individual Number, European/Asian Tours, ESPN Seasons, etc. I know the And1 Mixtape tour is not for everyone, and absolutely the game is certainly different... but man, is it entertaining & some of the skillsets are truly amazing. If you haven't ever seen them & you want some hoops, go find 'em! I got to go see the Tour live at MSG way back when, one of my favorite personal memories.

*My brother & I used to do the "Zoolander Test" when we were dating someone. The Zoolander test involved inviting new girlfriend over to the house, grabbing some snacks & all of us watching Zoolander together. My brother & I would pay attention not just to the movie, but IF new girl laughed at the right parts. If she "didn't get it" that relationship was not going to work out. As far as I know, it's a method with 100% success rate... "But why male models?"

I'm jumping in on this action...

With the wife:
Just Friends (Ryan Reynolds is always clutch)
The Proposal (Ryan Reynolds... again, with Sandra Bullock)
Date Night (Steve Carrell & Tina Fey kill it - there is so many accuracies in it)
We're The Millers
*My brother & I used to do the "Zoolander Test" when we were dating someone. The Zoolander test involved inviting new girlfriend over to the house, grabbing some snacks & all of us watching Zoolander together. My brother & I would pay attention not just to the movie, but IF new girl laughed at the right parts. If she "didn't get it" that relationship was not going to work out. As far as I know, it's a method with 100% success rate... "But why male models?"
Is your wife aware she’s with you only because she passed the Zoolander test?

Don’t F### with Cats —
Holy. The ending is like a Sixth Sense kind of thing. Insane. Literally.

We watched Back the the Future II last night. My son was not as impressed. He's skeptical of III now.

I have to believe he'll grow into having some taste.

I always liked A History of Violence with Viggio Mortenson
Blue Velvet ( Dennis Hooper awesome in it)
Also, Columbo is out there on the Firestick, love the 70's era shows

In the last couple weeks, I have watched

Iron Lady - Meryl Streep as Thatcher
Laudromat - Amusing story of Meryl Streep following the money trail
War Machine - Brad Pitt as General McMahon
Defiance - true story about 4 brothers sheltering over a thousand jews in the forests of Belorussia during the German occupation
Medici series with Dustin Hoffman as Giovanni de Medici
All on Netflix
Boy who harnessed the wind...true story about a boy who builds a makeshift windmill and saves his village during a drought in Malawi. netflix.

Some movies I’ve watched recently:
Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood - worth watching for the recreation of Hollywood and the performances of DiCaprio and Pitt, but the actual movie itself was kinda disappointing.

The two new Jumanji movies - one of the most pleasant surprises of my movie viewing life. Went in expecting them to be absolutely terrible...they’re actually quite charming and funny. I’ll definitely see the 3rd whenever they make it.

Uncut Gems - Better than Once Upon a Time IMO but still not all that special. Always fun watching Sandler when he tries though.

The Bad Boys movies - just a couple fun action movies

Knives Out - Just a really good movie. Loved it a lot.

Last edited:
We watched Back the the Future II last night. My son was not as impressed. He's skeptical of III now.

I have to believe he'll grow into having some taste.
Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood - worth watching for the recreation of Hollywood and the performances of DiCaprio and Pitt, but the actual movie itself was kinda disappointing.

The two new Jumanji movies - one of the most pleasant surprises of my movie viewing life. Went in expecting them to be absolutely terrible...they’re actually quite charming and funny. I’ll definitely see the 3rd whenever they make it.

Uncut Gems - Better than Once Upon a Time IMO but still not all that special. Always fun watching Sandler when he tries though.

Uncut gems was just weird. Sandler was pretty good but it was just a weird movie.

If you have Comcast, there's a ton of free movies on demand including The Jerk, Airplane, Wrath of Kahn, Rocketman, and many others. Watching Airplane now!

It's a Korean movie related to conoravirus.
I tried to find the streaming link with English subs for you guys even tho I'm not Korean. Haha.Worths to watch since it's happening like déjà vu.

It's on the Netflix. ”The flu” F youtube

Last edited:
If anyone wants to see what dating may be like post lock down watch Blind Date on Netflix.

Also, I am a big fan of Film Noir and Turner Classic movies shows a Noir film every Saturday night. I just watched Elevator to the Gallows, which was last Saturday's feature. For film buffs it was equal parts of Film Noir and French New Wave both of which I loved. Fantastic movie for those who may be fans of either genre.

Is there any reason not to just subscribe to Disney+ for a month, just to watch The Mandalorian?
That's doable, right? Is there anything else worthwhile there?
What about Apple TV?

Is there any reason not to just subscribe to Disney+ for a month, just to watch The Mandalorian?
What about Apple TV?
I'm actually planning on picking it up in April so we can watch Onward as a family, the kiddos can watch Frozen 2 a bajillion times, and me and the *mrs. can watch The Mandalorian.

*She doesn't actually care to watch the show.

What about Apple TV?

Mandalorian was a very fun watch. Don't worry if it feels like a couple episodes in the middle seem to be declining...it finishes on a high and brings everything full circle pretty well. The Clone Wars is the very highly rated animated series...that would probably take much much longer to watch (I'm personally in Season 2; and there's a list of the order in which you should watch those episodes just like there is for the movies but it's mostly just going in order with a couple detours here and there).

I haven't really used Disney+ for much more than that yet. It makes sense if you just want to punch it out during the quarantine, but if you wanted to wait and get the better bang for your buck, they'll eventually have the new Marvel stuff coming/you could always wait until Mandalorian Season 2 and just run through both seasons at once.

Mandalorian was a very fun watch. Don't worry if it feels like a couple episodes in the middle seem to be declining...it finishes on a high and brings everything full circle pretty well. The Clone Wars is the very highly rated animated series...that would probably take much much longer to watch (I'm personally in Season 2; and there's a list of the order in which you should watch those episodes just like there is for the movies but it's mostly just going in order with a couple detours here and there).

I haven't really used Disney+ for much more than that yet. It makes sense if you just want to punch it out during the quarantine, but if you wanted to wait and get the better bang for your buck, they'll eventually have the new Marvel stuff coming/you could always wait until Mandalorian Season 2 and just run through both seasons at once.
Thanks.
I can't watch much animation. I think i saw a minute of an early Clone Wars episode when that first started, but as much of a Star Wars fan as i am, i couldn't do it.
I guess i could even do The Mandalorian during the free 7 day trial... Seems like an easy binge.

Thanks.
I can't watch much animation. I think i saw a minute of an early Clone Wars episode when that first started, but as much of a Star Wars fan as i am, i couldn't do it.
I guess i could even do The Mandalorian during the free 7 day trial... Seems like an easy binge.

If you're staying at home this week, you can definitely knock it out in the 7 day trial with ease. It's only like 8 episodes if I remember right. It's worth watching the credits at the end of each episode IMO...(1) you get the beautiful theme song and (2) you get some cool concept drawings that went into each episode.

If you're staying at home this week, you can definitely knock it out in the 7 day trial with ease. It's only like 8 episodes if I remember right. It's worth watching the credits at the end of each episode IMO...(1) you get the beautiful theme song and (2) you get some cool concept drawings that went into each episode.
Didn't know that. I'll remember it for when we get Disney+. I'm amazed my wife and kiddos have held out this long. They're big-time Disney nuts.

The new Bad Boys was really (surprisingly) good

The new Bad Boys was really (surprisingly) good

Yeah, that's what I had heard and that's what inspired me to go back and watch the first two (which I had never seen before). Haven't gotten to the new one yet but I plan to soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom