Mt Rushmore of pro football coaches | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mt Rushmore of pro football coaches

Belichick was gone, HC in Cleveland.

Parcells really screwed the Giants, he quit in May. think about that...

Handley, was actually a rising star coach who many thought would be great. NYC and the bigness of being a HC was too much for him.

i dont think he really had his heart in it, he wanted to be a lawyer and almost left 1x.

people have speculated that Coughlin couldve got the job then, but he was already at BC.
Young said he wouldn't have hired BB. I was furious when he said that because I too, felt that Parcells f'ed us

Belichick was gone, HC in Cleveland.

Parcells really screwed the Giants, he quit in May. think about that...

Handley, was actually a rising star coach who many thought would be great. NYC and the bigness of being a HC was too much for him.

i dont think he really had his heart in it, he wanted to be a lawyer and almost left 1x.

people have speculated that Coughlin couldve got the job then, but he was already at BC.
Kaiser, Handley had other problems.

In the top 4? Why not Marty Shottenheimer?
I should have used Shottenheimer in my post. Being a Browns fan though, I still haven't gotten over The Drive and The Fumble.

Vince Lombardi (3rd highest winning %, highest playoff winning %)
Don Shula (most wins, 10th highest winning %, undefeated season)
George Halas (2nd most wins, 9th highest winnning %)
Bill Belichick (tied most Super Bowl wins-shortest time, most Super Bowl appearances, 14th highest winning %)

The Mt Rushmore never to win a super bowl besides Halas? ;)

Bud Grant, George Allen, Marv Levy, Chuck Knox

Edit: I don't think any of them won a SB. Too lazy to look up.
they didn't

#1 Vince Lombardi
#2 Bill B 4 super bowls
#3 Chuck Noll
#4 Bill Parcells

Parcells is vastly overrated by so many people, Gibbs body of work is actually better if you look at it, even with his second stint with redskins which was a mistake. don't get me wrong parcells was a great coach but he isn't top 4 of all time. Life time winning percentage is like .54 or something. He was probably top 10 not top 4. Pete Carroll will have better numbers than parcells when all is said and done. Parcells just had a big ego and a loud bark and good interviews. Gibbs was a gentleman and a quiet professional but his numbers are better than parcells, can't dispute it

Last edited:
#1 Vince Lombardi
#2 Bill B 4 super bowls
#3 Chuck Noll
#4 Bill Parcells
Can't have Parcells over Shula. Shula went 6 Super Bowls and has a Perfect Season under his belt. Parcells resume isn't close to that

Parcells is lucky to be Top 10 all time coaches (im not even sure if he makes the Top 10 honestly) lord knows he isn't the Top 4.

Super Bowl records are not a good measure of a coach.
I think Marv Levy belongs on this list...

Marv Levy, who could never win a Super Bowl, being in the Top Four?

He's probably enshrined next to the Coke machine of the way up to Mount Rushmore. But above that is a delusional Bills fan ranking.

Parcells isn't top 4 but they guy is the Godfather of this New England patriots run. He basically turned a team like Jacksonville now and turned them into the Dallas Cowboys. New England made it to Super Bowl 20 but beyond that they sucked for the most part before Parcells took over in 1993.
Parcells from 93-97 turned NE around and then went to the NYJ in 98 and turned them around. Then he went to Dallas and rebuilt that team to a team that went 14-2 and if they had Parcells over Wade Philips in 07 Eli likely doesn't get that first ring.
Parcells is top 8 but I wouldn't put him top 4.

Parcells isn't top 4 but they guy is the Godfather of this New England patriots run. He basically turned a team like Jacksonville now and turned them into the Dallas Cowboys. New England made it to Super Bowl 20 but beyond that they sucked for the most part before Parcells took over in 1993.
Parcells from 93-97 turned NE around and then went to the NYJ in 98 and turned them around. Then he went to Dallas and rebuilt that team to a team that went 14-2 and if they had Parcells over Wade Philips in 07 Eli likely doesn't get that first ring.
Parcells is top 8 but I wouldn't put him top 4.
I don't understand what Parcells, who I put on mt rushmore, has to do with eli winning in '07? And you give him too much credit for the Pats. It was at least 3 years and two coaches before the pats became elite.

I don't understand what Parcells, who I put on mt rushmore, has to do with eli winning in '07? And you give him too much credit for the Pats. It was at least 3 years and two coaches before the pats became elite.
Parcells drafted Ty Law, Willie McGenest, Lawyer Milloy, and several of the starters on that 2001 SB title. Parcells took the Pats to SB 31 and had BB on his staff. It was during that year Kraft met BB and fell in love to hire him in 2000. Kraft has said he never hires BB without Parcells having him on staff.
After the 2006 season Parcells retired from the Cowboys. He rebuilt the roster so well they went 14-2 in 2007 under Wade Philips. If Parcells coaches that team I think they aren't as undisciplined as they were even with that 2007 season. In the 07 playoffs Tony Romo had the Mexico vacation drama story with Jessica Simpson Romo doesn't likely pull that off with Parcells as HC. The next week the NYG went into Dallas and won on their way to the SB.
Parcells as HC for Dallas I think they win the NFC that year. Do you like to a argue with me because unlike others I can actually come back with logic please keep trying to bully me it makes it fun.

Parcells drafted Ty Law, Willie McGenest, Lawyer Milloy, and several of the starters on that 2001 SB title. Parcells took the Pats to SB 31 and had BB on his staff. It was during that year Kraft met BB and fell in love to hire him in 2000. Kraft has said he never hires BB without Parcells having him on staff.
After the 2006 season Parcells retired from the Cowboys. He rebuilt the roster so well they went 14-2 in 2007 under Wade Philips. If Parcells coaches that team I think they aren't as undisciplined as they were even with that 2007 season. In the 07 playoffs Tony Romo had the Mexico vacation drama story with Jessica Simpson Romo doesn't likely pull that off with Parcells as HC. The next week the NYG went into Dallas and won on their way to the SB.
Parcells as HC for Dallas I think they win the NFC that year. Do you like to a argue with me because unlike others I can actually come back with logic please keep trying to bully me it makes it fun.
LOL Honest. This is all in your mind. I have nothing against you. By any means. This is the second time you have said something like this and Honest to God, if I am lying may the Orange never win another game in any sport, I had no idea of what you were or are talking about. I disagree with you from time to time. I actually think you are a good poster.

LOL Honest. This is all in your mind. I have nothing against you. By any means. This is the second time you have said something like this and Honest to God, if I am lying may the Orange never win another game in any sport, I had no idea of what you were or are talking about. I disagree with you from time to time. I actually think you are a good poster.
I take you at your word I apologize then.

I take you at your word I apologize then.
No, No. I must have said something along the way. I'm sorry. I was going to write if you wanted I wouldn't respond to your posts. I like a good, heated debate. I never take it personal. And as I said, I enjoy your posting. I also disagree with your stance on parcells with the Pats. And being a Giants fan I really disagree with your take on the Giants vs Cowboys game. Romo was always going to throw that pick late. It's just what he does. Anyway, glad to have that cleared up.

It truly is amazing how the Patriots, Bellichecks and Tom Brady's legacy changed because of dumbass Pete Carrol. 3-3 in the super bowl with losing 3 in a row is a VASTLY different story than 4-2.
Brady's Offense left the field with the lead in the 4th quarter in the 2 Super Bowls he lost. Could be 6-0 if the defense could have made stops. That's the way it goes.

Kaiser, Handley had other problems.
im aware of Young saying he wouldnt have hired BB, but since it wasnt an option i never considered debating it. (like if Well got involved or what-not).

what was Handley's other problems, other than trying to make it his team and starting hoss over Simms in 91??