Much deserved ending! | Syracusefan.com

Much deserved ending!

Rocco

Watching you.
Now that was special and you could see how much this school, his players and staff mean to Shaf. That was tough to watch him get emotional while Trudo and Robinson carried him off the field. Hats off to Addazio for being such a class act. He got emotional when they were hugging at midfield, then went over and slapped him on the back when he was being carried off the field.

Thank you for all of your hard work and perseverance Coach. Sorry it didn't work out, but good luck the rest of the way. You are a stand-up guy who will always be welcomed in Syracuse.

No way he doesn't get picked up as DC of a power five school.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him land one of the MAC HC jobs.

Ugh, that was brutal. Can't help but feel horrible for the man.

I really liked HCSS, thought he was the complete answer but bad luck (injuries, young team with no depth), slow learning curve really got in the way. I think a change actually was needed BUT if the right changes are not made (Syracuse putting money in the till for well paid coaches, continued monies for upgrades in the facilities, and Coyle not hiring a replacement that is better than what we already had) then this will have been a huge mistake. At the end of the day HCSS did give the University and its program something to hang their hats on; character, integrity, academia, university and community responsible young men.
I wish HCSS the best of luck, with his staff included. These young men in the toughest of seasons never gave up, didn't stop showing great character, or love for one another and the University they represented.
As said in another post/thread my dream world has a replacement coach that can aid us in getting back on track, but one that also hires HCSS as his Defensive Coordinator. I know, I know it will never happen, but...
HCSS and staff left the next in line with a young developing talented team. The cupboard is not bare. The individuals are more talented now, of high character young men that whoever comes in can take pride in what was left for he and his staff.
Thank You HCSS!

Attachments

• HCSS  #1.jpg
    HCSS #1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

I don't know about a hc job, he is going to have go back to being a dc.

He deserves a shot as a MAC head coach. But I think he is more likely to take another P5 Def. coordinator spot before that happens.

I will not be surprised at all if/when he gets his next HC job at a MAC or AAC team, he actually has a great year and wins 9-10 games after a couple years at whichever school it ends up being.

Not often do you see a coach who has had seasons back to back like Shafer keep the locker room. Not often do you see players love the coach like Shafer's players do. NOT OFTEN DO YOU SEE A STAND UP, GREAT GUY LIKE SHAFER. Being the head coach may have not worked out but he should at least know he is leaving with his dignity and a bunch of fans, players, and a whole community cheering for him in LIFE. That to me is more important than wins and losses. Shafer has absolutely nothing to hang his head about, he worked his ass of while he was here and did nothing but positive things for the community. Yeah it would be nice to get some more wins but wins only carry you so far in life and the way Shafer handles himself in life will go far beyond any win. GOODLUCK COACH SHAFE WHERE EVER LIFE TAKES YOU AND GO ORANGE!

I believe that he will end up being a head coach at a MAC school but first might have to go the DC route. He is a class act and a fantastic coach who on his next go round will end up being a really good HC.

I loved Shafer prior to this, but fitting end (bad timeout call) on top of "the patch"! Seriously!

Orangepace said:
I loved Shafer prior to this, but fitting end (bad timeout call) on top of "the patch"! Seriously!

Might want to stop posting about the patch. Been wrong about that twice now.

Orangepace said:

Are these posts performance art?

I didn't watch the game at all. was doing the radio city xmas show thing instead. I was wondering if he exited to cheers. glad it went down the way I'm reading in this thread. if anyone has a vid link, would be muchly appreciated. if not, I'll Hunt for one (pun intentional)

I didn't watch the game at all. was doing the radio city xmas show thing instead. I was wondering if he exited to cheers. glad it went down the way I'm reading in this thread. if anyone has a vid link, would be muchly appreciated. if not, I'll Hunt for one (pun intentional)

There are some highlights available on ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/video?gameId=400756995

Check the 'Postgame and Sunday Articles' thread, too.

Thank you to the 30,317 fans who came out today to say thanks to the seniors, HCSS and the other coaches. I was very concerned that we'd end up with a Gerg-like crowd or worse and this group of players and coaches deserved much better. Sure, it would have been great to have had a larger turn-out but in this era, and with two 3-win teams trudging up to the finish line with no chance of a medal the true Syracuse fans did well.

Now that was special and you could see how much this school, his players and staff mean to Shaf. That was tough to watch him get emotional while Trudo and Robinson carried him off the field. Hats off to Addazio for being such a class act. He got emotional when they were hugging at midfield, then went over and slapped him on the back when he was being carried off the field.

Thank you for all of your hard work and perseverance Coach. Sorry it didn't work out, but good luck the rest of the way. You are a stand-up guy who will always be welcomed in Syracuse.

Ditto. Wish him the best and I know he'll land on his feet somewhere. Glad he want out with a W and now we can start the next chapter of SU football on a positive note.

Game was terrible, but glad Shafer was able to go out on a high note with a W.

He deserved that moment at the end with the players. Great to see.
ALL BC games are terrible. They have a way of turning games into artistic disasters.

I don't know about a hc job, he is going to have go back to being a dc.

I mean maybe, but it's not out of the question. He can build a team of recruiters and has developed relationships in many key areas.

If not a HC, then he could be ripe for the DC job at Michigan if that guy moves on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom