My 10 favorite SU basketball moments (when I was actually present)... | Syracusefan.com

My 10 favorite SU basketball moments (when I was actually present)...

cto

Administrator
I didn't count anything I watched on tv (such as the Regionals against Georgie and Kansas in 1996). Just the ones I witnessed in person.

10) John Thompson ejected from game at Dome - 1990 --OR beating Pitt at Dome - 2003 (a tie)
9) First game at Manley (it was a freshman game with Dave Bing and walk-on Jim Boeheim) - 1962
8) Sitting in Mike Hopkins office when Hakim committed via phone - 2000
7) Beating UNC in Elite 8 (to go to my first Final Four) - 1987
6) Beating Oklahoma in Elite 8 - 2003
5) First Duke game at the Dome - 2014
4) Beating UVA in Ellte 8 - 2016
3) The GMac Big East Tourney - 2006
2) The six-overtime game - 2009
1) New Orleans - 2003

What are some of the other personal favorites?

Last edited:
2. Nova game in 2010 when we broke the attendance record.
1. Duke game in 2014 when we broke it again.

Those are my two favorites where I was actually in attendance. The Duke game was so unbelievably awesome. (Duh) My daughter couldn't go - it's still a sore subject - so I went with the son of friends who is such an ardent SU fan and so bball savvy. We stood and screamed and yelled the entire game and in the second half he had to hold me up because I was weak from cheering. This young man had been going through some really rough times and to be able to experience that victory with him was one of my best moments, ever. I have never experienced samadhi, but if it's anywhere close to what I felt after that game, I greatly look forward to the afterlife.

b94cf208-0226-351b-9ef0-bc38cfc03134

Good list, but were you there when Bill Smith scored 47 points against Lafayette on my birthday?

I didn't count anything I watched on tv (such as the Regionals against Georgie and Kansas in 1996). Just the ones I witnessed in person.

10) John Thompson ejected from game at Dome - 1990 --OR beating Pitt at Dome - 2003 (a tie)
9) First game at Manley (it was a freshman game with Dave Bing and walk-on Jim Boeheim) - 1962
1) New Orleans - 2003

Amazing list! I was at 10 and 6 with 6 being my #1 experience as a fan. However I would add a couple before the Pitt win

1.) 2006 Senior Day Ceremony for GMAC (McNamara's Band)

2.) 2003 Rutgers (Melo's last home game and team clinched undefeated record at home)

1) New Orleans - 2003

Amazing list, cto. My question about the Hak commitment. At the time, Hak was a plan B to Julius Hodge and he was not regarded as some kind of huge get. Are you putting that on the list in hindsight or was Hop expressing that Hak would make a large large impact on the program?

Amazing list, cto. My question about the Hak commitment. At the time, Hak was a plan B to Julius Hodge and he was not regarded as some kind of huge get. Are you putting that on the list in hindsight or was Hop expressing that Hak would make a large large impact on the program?
Not in hindsight. It was kind of a surreal moment to be there. Hodge was the prime target for our final scholly, and Hakim was the "back-up." Mike Hopkins had established a very good relationship with Hakim and his mother and had convinced Hakim to wait until the Hodge decision before committing elsewhere. On the day that Hodge committed to NC State, Mike literally learned the news from syracusefan.com (we had an observer at his announcement) and called Hakim to formally offer the scholly. But Hakim was not at home at the time, so he spoke to his mother. I was in Syracuse for some forgettable reason (literally cannot remember), and had walked into Mike's office right before Hakim called him back. It was an indelible moment... hearing the conversation between Mike and Hakim -- with both of them being very excited.

Last edited:

1) New Orleans - 2003

11) & 12) would be SU beating #1 Georgetwon at Dome in 1985 with Pearl hitting the game winning shot and SU beating 'Nova for Big East championship in 3OT

10) Oklahoma 2003
9) Texas 2003
8) North Carolina 2009 - (My son's first SU game at the Garden)
7) Georgetown 2009 - (My son's first hoops game at Dome)
6) Wisconsin 2012 (My son's first NCAA Tournament game)
5) Marquette 2013 ( My son's first elite eight win to get to Final Four)
4) Michigan 2013 (My son's first final four)
3) North Carolina 2016 (the whole trip, not just the game - my son was so into it this time, he still talks about going to the final four just about every day - and is already talking about next year's brackets)
2) Mississippi State 1996 (my first final four game live)
1) Kansas 2003

Great List
Just the ones I witnessed in person-

9) My first game at Manley - 197? Bill Smith, Kid Kohls, Sweet D. My Orange fever has not subsided in all these years

7) Beating UNC in Elite 8 (to go to my first Final Four) - 1987 The Florida game was also a blast.
6)
5)
4)
1) New Orleans - 2003

I would add-
Leo's tip in to beat Nova and Earn us a trip to the dance (which got lost in the mail)
All of the Big East tournaments in MSG (17 of the 19 years) - Pearl's show, Pearl's round house to Ewing after his dirty elbow, Sherm's shows, Dave Johnson elevating over Mourning for a ship, Sherm's hike (that was a pre-season NIT game) many times from the vantage point of another school's band section.
Coming back to beat Furman in the Palestra after being down 19
Louie's full court game ending lay in to beat St Johns at Allesmbly Hall
Atlanta FF 2013
Watching the future SU talent (GMAC, Do it all Paul, Devo...) and targets at the ABCD camp when they used to have it at FDU

Amazing list! I was at 10 and 6 with 6 being my #1 experience as a fan. However I would add a couple before the Pitt win

2.) 2003 Rutgers (Melo's last home game and team clinched undefeated record at home)

I got tears in my eyes watching that. Thank you so much! I was there but didn't put it on my all time favorites because . . . geez, it was so darn sad. But you cannot tell me there is a more beloved SU bball player than Gerry. I just don't know who that would be. I loved Carmelo. I loved Hakim. But they were not beloved to me.

<SIGH>

What a great video. Too bad it was made a week before before he owned the Big East tourney that year.

Last edited:

1) New Orleans - 2003

You pretty much hit on all of mine, Dnic's game against St Johns at the dome, when he had 37, and we needed every point of those. The Oklahoma st game in 03, I think we were down 16 at one point, I thought for sure our season was over, what a comeback that was.

big john thompson II getting ejected.
dome ranger and otto getting ejected
my hero george hicker getting ejected
and my all time fave...
miss daisy dukie getting ejected.

-06cafa6515ec3845.JPG

still luvyalots babe.

Last edited:
Do the moments posted have to actually be during the game, as long as we were present at the game? ;) (one of mine came after a game)

I am a firm believer that NCAA tourney games always get the top spots. (except the losses)

1)Beating Oklahoma in 2003 Elite 8
2)Beating Wisconsin in 2012 Sweet 16
3)Beating Kansas State in round of 32, 2012
4)Beating Gonzaga in round of 32, 2010
5)Beating Vermont in 2010 first round
6)Beating Central Michigan in 2014 first round
7)Beating UCONN 6 OT in 2009
8)Beating Hoyas in 2013 BET semifinal
9)Beating Pitt in dome 2003
10)Beating Duke in Dome 2014

Last edited:
Just to add a future game to the list, whenever Jb's final game at the dome is, provided we know ahead of time, the atmosphere for that game is going to be incredible.

My guess is you won't know when his last game will be until after it's over.

This.

No way JB does the Jeter or Kobe Fairwell Tour. Not his style.
We'll find out after his last game, that it was his last game.

I hope thats not the case, Jb deserves one last sendoff.

While he deserves it, I agree with the others that he won't want a farewell tour and he'll announce it after the year is over. If that's the case, hopefully they set up a JB Day the following season where the home fans can give him the send off he deserves.

In person would be that 1990 Georgetown game, Gerry's last dome game, UNC FF game, win vs. Arizona in the dome in 1995 (I think it was 95) which was my wife's intro to Syracuse basketball, the Bobby Knight Texas Tech blowout game which was my first time at MSG. I am pretty sure I was at the Pearl half-court shot game, but somehow I can't completely prove it to myself memory wise so I won't count that. What I do have a strong memory of though is being at Lawrence Moten and John Wallace's first ever games at the dome.

While he deserves it, I agree with the others that he won't want a farewell tour and he'll announce it after the year is over. If that's the case, hopefully they set up a JB Day the following season where the home fans can give him the send off he deserves.

Knowing Jb he won't want a farewell tour, but Jb's last game at the dome would be an epic day in Syracuse sports history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom