My (Belated) Take | Syracusefan.com

My (Belated) Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Not sure where to even start. It was hard to find time to make any posts while in Atlanta; there is a lot to do here.

Really like the town, no question it is really well suited to host an event like the Final Four (and one can see some of the major challenges Syracuse faces in its quest to someday host the Final Four.

Let's try a chronological approach.

Flew in from Rochester, which saved me over $500. First time I have done that. Was fine, Rochester has a decent little airport, much like the one Syracuse has, only a bit bigger and nicer.

There were a lot of people in orange there. To show you just how clueless some Rochester natives are, I was asked 3 times what was goin on with so many people wearing orange. Anyway, if you need to get somewhere and the flights out of Syracuse aren't cutting it, consider Rochester. Just over an hour to get there, interstates the whole way.

Transferred through Philly. As I like long bus rides, it was a treat for me to visit.

Had a really hard time getting a hotel room and a flight...the real issue was celebrating the victory over Marquette in Clyde's too late into the evening, and fielding phone calls from friends after that, when I should have been making reservations. But...the celebration was a really good one.

Decided not to rent a car on this trip given how much I had heard about MARTA, the Atlanta mass transportation system. That worked out okay; MARTA was solid. As a matter of fact, I have a Breeze card with 3 days left on it for sell for a very reasonable price.

Ended up getting a good price on a room at the Sheraton Gateway near the airport. Isolated but quiet, nice enough and pretty easy to get to downtown from, though you needed to take the hotel shuttle to and from the airport MARTA stop.

I went to the midtown Hudson Grille Friday night to get dinner, meet up with people on the board and listen to the radio show. Didn't recognize anyone on the board though. The food was okay though.

On Saturday, I made another trek in to pick up the tickets I ordered. Was happy to get ones on the lower level. They set the court up in the center of the football field, which ensured almost no one who attended had a good seat. This is a terrible practice and I hope to God Syracuse is never stupid enough to impose this awful setup on Syracuse fans, even for a one time major money grab.

The tickets are really cool; they are mostly clear with a nice design; Oversized and really modern looking. i haven't seen anything like them before. Nice to get something decent as a keepsake considering the tickets cost $310, not including donations tonSUnto 'grease the wheel'.

I ended up walking over to Mary Mac's Tea Room next for lunch. It is a little off the beaten path, 4 or 5 blocks from the nearest MARTA station. The neighborhood is maybe a little bit dicey but I ran into what appeared to be a driver's ed class for in lines that was quite amusing to watch.

Kind of a different way to order there; you fill out an ordering card and give that to the waiter. Good food at reasonable prices.
Mary Mac (I think) also personally checked in on many of the customers, including me.

The fried chicken and banana bread pudding were excellent. Didn't like the homemade mac and cheese. I haven't ever found a version I like more that the Kraft kind out of a box. Not sure if this makes me trailer trash. Maybe I just lack the homemade mac and cheese gene.

Went back to the Hudson Grille in Midtown again after that. Nice sports bar, was impressed by Tuler Ennis' play but didn't see anyone from the board again.

Eventually met some friends at the Sheraton Midtown, talked up the game for a bit and headed to wherever it was that The syracusefan.com people were drinking at. After some determined passes and some invaluable help from TexanMark, I met up with the gang. Good to see old friends and new ones. Jarhead still looks like he could rip phone books apart with his bare hands. And Swish disappeared just before I got there so I missed him. Bummer.

Walking to the Georgia Dome and the bar the peeps were at was interesting. With 78k attending the game and another 100k or so attending the free outdoor concert in the park next to the Dome, the organizers created a massive sea of humanity the likes of which this humble reporter (always wanted to write that) has never seen.

I think it was a mistake that would really be exposed once the games ended. More on that later. Anyway, lots of people in that crowd moved really slowly, one of many times my fast paced Northern upbringing made me a really frustrated dude. Also, I saw a lot of people smoking in public. Hard to get used to after leaving on the Northeast, where you rarely run into this sort of thing anymore.

My flight home is about to leave so I will post this as part 1 of a 2 part My Take.

"Not sure if this makes me trailer trash" - classic. Always enjoy reading your take, Tom.

I'll jump in later with my takes...about to board a flight too.

Ah man, so sorry I missed you. I made a last minute decision to pay the $65, and meet some HS friends at the 'official' tailgate.

I really wish that were less, $50 or so, is more appropriate.

I need to make attending an SU event an annual tradition. We should have more opportunities now that we are in the ACC.

Well I had a fun filled weekend. I finally booked a nonstop flight from San Antonio to Atlanta for $475 on Delta after a fruitless search to find another person to share the driving. I left at "Oh-Dark Thirty" (Zero Dark Thirty in the movie) to ATL...got in early greeted by rain and cold. The weather improved as the day went along. In fact Saturday to Monday was awesome mid 70s and sun). I had some time to kill and went to Siracusa's for lunch to do a scouting trip. The airport gave me a muted green Fiat 500. Anyways it was fun to drive and I was glad no one saw me driving it. The food at Siracusa's was very good. I recommend it for any native of Syracuse. Wings were done well...medium was closer to hot. Pizza is classic (fold in half) NY style. Other items looked well prepared. Staff was friendly and loved having Cuse folks there. The owners are from Syracuse and the place screams Syracuse.

After eating I checked in at the LaQuinta in Marietta. Swish was sharing the room and driving in from Orlando late Friday so I had some time to kill. JarheadJim was arriving Saturday around Noon and was going to crash on an inflatable mattress in the room. I couldn't make the shoot around in time but I still drove to the MARTA station (Dunwoody Station on the North Side) from the Motel MARTA is pretty easy to figure out. Signage wasn't good at all in Atlanta marking the stations locations from freeways. I took the train down to the Peachtree Station and walked about 6-7 blocks to the Hudson Grille. The shoot around was ending in a few minutes and got a table at Hudson Grille instead. This Hudson Grille (corner of Olympic Centennial and Marietta and next to Phillips Arena) is a new location. I meet Moontan (nee Jurrie) and his son for a very late lunch. The food was good at Hudson Grille but I'd rate typical sports pub quality. After eating we chatted a bit and then Moontan had to leave and take his son home. I did get to meet llandz and OrangePA. I spent about 30 mins chatting all things Cuse with them. Small world: my older sister went to law school with OrangePA at SU. They were on Moot Court together. My sister told me OrangePA was the smartest guy in law school. I also meet Donnie Webb and thanked him for his articles in the past. I told him we missed him covering SU. He showed me who MCW's Father was. I had a nice chat with him. He was about my height and weight (6'4", 220lbs) so I saw ehere MCW got his height. I didn't ask him about the NBA--felt it wasn't my place. Anyways by about 1900 I headed back to the motel to greet Swish's arrival and I needed a short nap as I was dragging with the 0350 alarm.

Swish called LollipopOrange (mostly lurker) and bought his extra ticket in 316. We invited LollipopOrange to join us for the day. He drove over to the LaQuinta and rode in the train downtown with us. LollipopOrange is an awesome sports guy...Swish said his knowledge was high during the game. I hope he posts here more. Jarhead and I were in 317 so this would work out well being close by for leaving together. We drove to the Dunwoody MARTA station and took the train. The platform was overrun with fans of the Big 3 schools and few Shockers thrown in the mix. As stated before the Ville fans were cool. Most respected us and would root for us but really they didn't want to play us in the Final. They know the game would be a crapshoot. The Wichita State fans were mostly older and just happy to be there. The Michigan fans (especially the younger ones) had an arrogant, entitled attitude. They thought they were the "Belle of the Ball". I'd suggest about 50% of them were outright tools (the vast majority younger). Like Indiana I saw a few wearing those hideous blue/yellow striped farmer jeans. The older alumni with money were football fans first posing as hoops fans. They were there for the event.

Louisville fans (two fingers and thumb) flashed their "L" and the younger Shocker fans would flash their 3 finger Shocker. Michigan fans seemed to flash three fingers (maybe an M?). I showed the Michigan fans the one finger Cuse flash signal.

If you ever stay in Atlanta using the MARTA trains is a nice way to go. I wish I could return this fall for the GaTech game but can't. Anyways here is the MARTA train map. If yo want to save some money staying in a hotel on the north side is the way to go. You might not even need a rental car. If you pack lightly you can catch the train at the airport and head north to your hotel. It cost $2.50 one way...mutli day discount packages available.

RailMap030210-interactive.jpg

The smartest call was to exit at Peachtree Center. You avoided the busy Five Points station. It was a short 6 block walk to the middle of the F4 shopping and bar area. There weren't a ton of bars but they were busy. On game day they set up huge Beer Tent Cities. Swish, LollipopOrange, JarheadJim and myself ran into NYCFan, Cuseman78, BrianOrange and a few others at one of these beer tent cities. It was free to enter (prove you're 21 and get a wrist band) and beers were $5 a can. Actually I much preferred this than being packed into a bar.

NOTE: Cell Phone service for Verizon users on gameday was nearly nonexistent. I heard ATT was a bit better. Verizon needed to move in a couple mobile repeater towers. Anyways KingOtto was trying to sell tickets. He was elsewhere but Cuseman78 was pimping them for him. NYCfan was drunk and figuring out he was in a world of hurt as he couldn't reach tomcat who had his ticket. I helped him and made numerous failed calls to try to reach tomcat. Finally I was able to get through and direct tomcat in for the rendezvous. Much hugging and back patting ensued. During my efforts to find tomcat I ran into both JJReddawg + Wife (another guy who overachieved) near the Subway and finally OrlandoCuse and wife (yup same as JJReddawg in overachieving department) and directed them to Cuseman78 to buy KingOtto's Tickets. This is the beauty of going to Tailgate's with fans. You meet and network. It really helps on gameday at a huge event like this. I never could get a hold others I wanted to see: Stevenson (owes me beers with interest), suttree, Danny Parkins, and many others. Verizon cell service really sucked. I had to pull out 1980s planning tactics. "Okay if we get split up---meet at the Subway at 5pm"

About 10 vender tents set up to sell merchandise. Louisville and Michigan had the most items. Syracuse a respectable, close third. Syracuse stuff sold well. Prices were high but not to the point of gouging.

Anyways we stayed drinking until about 6pm at the beer tent. We walked about 5-6 blocks to the Dome. The Dome is apparently going to get torn down after the city builds a new retractable roof Dome next door. There was nothing wrong with the Dome...just a waste of taxpayer dollars as NFL teams extort cities.

We bought tickets through NCAA affliated primesport.com. Our tickets were paperless (flash tickets). You can easily transfer or assign them to others. This makes the old scalping ways obsolete. Anyways I showed up and gave the ticket person my credit card. She swipped it for ID purposes and spitout two tickets. Scalping was way lighter than at any big time sports event I ever attended. Old rules on ticket buying and selling are out the window. The championship ticket at the Dome is usually cheap (like $20-50) but with the lack of paper tickets prices ran from $150 to $400 for somewhat mediocre tickets for just the championship game.

Inside the stadium the food was expensive and mediocre. No beer (NCAA rule). The seats were not bad and our view was ok. A douchy mid 20's Michigan fan with about 3 frat boy types backing him up got into it with me over him calling "Zones are for Cowards". I think he soon figured out he and his group were badly outgunned by one Marine sitting next to me. They slinked off to their seats not to be heard from again.

Watching the game was almost surreal. You felt you were there but the sound delay and the distance from the court made you feel detached. It was hard to figure out if a whistle was really a foul, travel, etc...Orange was well reprsented there. We didn't have the most but we were close to Louisville and Michigan on Saturday.

After the game it was hell to get out. Michigan fans were doing a mass bro hug. Finally we walked around around a bit and got out another exit. We eventually made it to a vendor tent and several of us bought some half priced Cuse stuff. It was all gone by Sunday as it was swooped up by Cuse fans. We didn't feel like drinking and went back to the train. LollipopOrange brought us to Fellini's in Buckhead for Pizza at 2am...A perfect end to the night. Exc NY Style Pizza. http://www.fellinisatlanta.com/fellinis.html

The next morning it was decided to sell our championship tickets. We got more than we figured...as I said the old pricing realities are dead. Swish and Jarhead headed home. I moved hotels to be by the airport. For Sunday and Monday I hooked up with Cuseregular and his wife. We went into tourist mode. The rest of my stay uneventful save for the awesome visit to the Aquarium and Botantical Gardens and eating at two excellent restaurants (Spice Market and Legal Seafood). I ran into the #1 radio guy in Houston and SU Alumni Charlie Pallilo at the Aquarium and chatted about the game with him. I told him about our sports forum. I await Dallas in '14. If we make it I hope to be there.

Much hugging and back patting ensued. During my efforts to find tomcat I ran into both JJReddawg + Wife (another guy who overachieved) near the Subway and finally OrlandoCuse and wife (yup same as JJReddawg in overachieving department)...
--------------------------

It seems like a great number of 'Cuse fans overachieve. (I know I did.) Perhaps there is a phenomenon here that we are not considering. Perhaps women are simply attracted to Syracuse fans. Hmmmm....

Much hugging and back patting ensued. During my efforts to find tomcat I ran into both JJReddawg + Wife (another guy who overachieved) near the Subway and finally OrlandoCuse and wife (yup same as JJReddawg in overachieving department)...
--------------------------

It seems like a great number of 'Cuse fans overachieve. (I know I did.) Perhaps there is a phenomenon here that we are not considering. Perhaps women are simply attracted to Syracuse fans. Hmmmm....

I think it's the color orange. It's very becoming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom