My biggest knock on Giardi is his unwillingness --- | Syracusefan.com

My biggest knock on Giardi is his unwillingness ---

CaliCuse

All American
---to play play "small ball" When you have a man on second base and no outs you gotta get that man to third base.That on base player must score you a run Yes the up coming batters must get the bat on the ball to get the runner to home plate BUT its up to the manager to call the procedure to get the man at second to third. Brett Gardner by now should be an expert bunter and yet too often the last few years he struggles to lay down an effective bunt. You may not be able to teach home runs but bunting is an entirely different story the Yankee video room has a huge number of hours of one of base balls' all-time great bunter in Phil Rizzuto! I've seen a few of those lessons and they are excellent as he goes over every point in getting the ball down successfully. Why no one hasn't discussed this with Giardi is baffling.

I think the data shows that a team's probability of scoring a run decreases significantly after sacrificing the first out.

The league average for driving in runners from third with fewer than two outs is something like 51%.

I think the data shows that a team's probability of scoring a run decreases significantly after sacrificing the first out.

The league average for driving in runners from third with fewer than two outs is something like 51%.
That means the batter couldn't even make contact with ball which IMHO is ridiculous for MLB players. Yes,I know the pitcher has his job to stop thm from doing this but geeshe. Choke up on the bat an inch and put the ball in play.A short chop to put the ball on the ground should score a decent baserunner No I've never played at that level but I've played enough to know that good players can do the simple things easily. Even against great pitchers

Thanks. Its very interestingAND a further example of numbers having dominating this game. Baseball has an enormous amount of repetitive moments the statistical probabilities become a staple of the game on the field. I won't/can't argue with these numbers so OK I'm convinced BUT I will be watching the other manager's decisions against the Yankees and whether sacrificing works for or against their teams. I do know that putting runs on the scoreboard tends to increase the pressure on the opposition. Obviously close games are includedStatistically your article seems support the no bunt strategy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom