My Early Review on Hop | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Early Review on Hop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know on what planet others live on , but the idea that he's not communcating with HOP in some fashion is ludicrous to me. I dont know if its through walkie talkie or cans connected by a string, but some communication is going on.
While it's fun to think that JAB would shove it in the COI's face, the thought that JAB & Co. would risk the death penalty over this is ludicrous.

Not looking to repeat anything that's been said. Here's what I have seen and what I like so far, results notwithstanding:
  • More trapping out of the zone. LOTS more trapping out of the zone.
  • More use of the press
  • More substitutions in the second half (especially offense/defense with the big men)
  • Willingness to go deeper into the bench
I think these things are positives, and I think we see some of the future of how Hop is going to coach. The 2-3 zone is a tremendous advantage in terms of converting defense into offense, and I think that by making the zone even more aggressive than the 4-1 type of zone we've been playing the past few years to REALLY get out on to wing shooters, I think we are going to see Mike trap and press like crazy with the team when he holds the reins permanently.

I like what I've seen so far from Mike, apart from a couple disappointing losses, obviously.

But didn't all of those happen because we were down big against GT and SJ? Trapping and pressing is exactly what JB does when we're trying to overcome a sizable lead.

Maybe the substitution pattern has been different? I don't know, it's hard to tell this quickly, especially w/the 2 double digit deficits.

I was hoping to see something different on the offensive end, maybe some more actual designed plays, but I don't know if that's been possible with how we've dug huge holes early.

hop has had to play the good cop to JB's bad cop for so long that it will take him a bit to transition to the head spot. there have been no trends so far that tell me a whole lot of anything, except the teams under hop are seeming to start out slow and play from behind. it is way too small of a sample set, and there are the weird peripheral issues of playing ex big east opponents on the road. we need to transition out gbinije, cooney and coleman and start moving toward the future with better players.

But didn't all of those happen because we were down big against GT and SJ? Trapping and pressing is exactly what JB does when we're trying to overcome a sizable lead.

Maybe the substitution pattern has been different? I don't know, it's hard to tell this quickly, especially w/the 2 double digit deficits.

I was hoping to see something different on the offensive end, maybe some more actual designed plays, but I don't know if that's been possible with how we've dug huge holes early.

substitution pattern is to basketball what play calling is to football. A crutch for fans to easily blame bad outcome on when the reality is perhaps certain key players aren't good enough.

I like that Hop has shown the ability to make in game adjustments and rally the troops to greater efforts.

One thing I miss: Watching a screw up and looking at our coach for his reaction. Frank Howard, against Colgate, was driving to the basket, turned and made a backwards pass that went right to a Colgate player and led to a lay-up on the other end. I instinctively looked toward the SU bench and Mike had his back to the play, explaining something to one of the players on the bench. Mike has to get "the glare" going.

I dont know on what planet others live on , but the idea that he's not communcating with HOP in some fashion is ludicrous to me. I dont know if its through walkie talkie or cans connected by a string, but some communication is going on.

I disagree. I tend to think it would be ludicrous for Boeheim and Hopkins to take a chance on getting caught. Even though it would be highly unlikely, imagine what the NCAA would do - it's just not worth it. I also think Boeheim has much more confidence in Hop than you and some others give him credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom