My First Look and Take on Team (3 things) | Syracusefan.com

My First Look and Take on Team (3 things)

chakka3421

All Conference
While I mostly post on football side and I typically wait to go to any basketball game until all home football games are over, I wanted to share my first impression of this year's team. I honestly thought this team would struggle to get 20 wins this year but now I don't think so. My comparisons are focused on this team versus past teams as comparisons to the competition doesn't make any sense. Some of these things may have been posted already, but here goes:

1. This team is quick - much quicker team than I can even remember in a very very long time. This typically means, whether you play zone or man to man, that they will be deadly stifling on defense. So quick that my dearest one mentioned to me drinking our coffee together this morning that they were making her dizzy (no blonde jokes please) just trying to follow them at times. While some of the new players were out of position at times, that is correctable. The zone "moved" very quickly and I think most teams are going to be in for a shock trying to beat this zone which is only going to get better every game. I think we are going to win a lot of games just with our D.

2. This team is fast - runs and pushes the ball forward fast break or not (leading to some turnovers but must expect that early on and correctable). If I recall our teams in the past not everyone was willing to run but oh boy how exciting it is to see a whole team willing to run a fast break. Did we ever take more than 4-5 seconds to cross half court even on a press?

3. This team everyone is a weapon - I'm encouraged that we won't over rely on guard playmaking and are going low to our big men for shots. Including our big men for plays will simply open up our overall offense making it easier for our guards like Trevor to get open looks on inside out plays. In the recent past, I don't think our big men were talented enough to dribble drive but I like our three up front - all are scoring threats in their own way.

I'm totally encouraged so far. Go Orange!

Totally encouraged so far?

This is what I am talking about. The game last night gave us nothing to be encouraged about. If anything, watching the 1/2 court offense and shot making ability was discouraging (albeit 1st game of season).

I guess you can be encouraged by the speed and quickness and rebounding - but that was against a terrible team that was small, slow and unathletic.

Im not predicting a bust season... but I just don't see anything to go on right now. We are exactly where we were on Thursday.

CusefanATL said:
Totally encouraged so far? This is what I am talking about. The game last night gave us nothing to be encouraged about. If anything, watching the 1/2 court offense and shot making ability was discouraging (albeit 1st game of season). I guess you can be encouraged by the speed and quickness and rebounding - but that was against a terrible team that was small, slow and unathletic. Im not predicting a bust season... but I just don't see anything to go on right now. We are exactly where we were on Thursday.

BJ played better than in any exhibition game or last season, so there's that.

Also: OP posted he doesn't follow the team closely during FB season (I can relate) - so he didn't know "where we were on Thursday". I think you crapped on his post without reading the context.

Can be encouraged by Rak's play and improved team rebounding. Missed a ton of inside shots, and got a lot of second chances. McCullough at 6 ft 10 has a lot of skills.

Can be encouraged that the three sons are very much in the mix -- and will get better. Not a good game for Kaleb last night, but BJ, Roberson & Patterson all had good moments -- and each has a lot of upside. I had thought BJ needed another year (too skinny), but he showed he can compete and he brings a scorer's touch. Not having Gbinije last night was great for the fans who wanted to see more of what BJ and Patterson can do.

BJ played better than in any exhibition game or last season, so there's that.

Also: OP posted he doesn't follow the team closely during FB season (I can relate) - so he didn't know "where we were on Thursday". I think you crapped on his post without reading the context.

Fair enough, maybe I missed some of the context. But he actually said he doesn't attend any bball games until home football games are over... And they are over. And they were over on Thursday too.

While I mostly post on football side and I typically wait to go to any basketball game until all home football games are over, I wanted to share my first impression of this year's team. I honestly thought this team would struggle to get 20 wins this year but now I don't think so. My comparisons are focused on this team versus past teams as comparisons to the competition doesn't make any sense. Some of these things may have been posted already, but here goes:

1. This team is quick - much quicker team than I can even remember in a very very long time. This typically means, whether you play zone or man to man, that they will be deadly stifling on defense. So quick that my dearest one mentioned to me drinking our coffee together this morning that they were making her dizzy (no blonde jokes please) just trying to follow them at times. While some of the new players were out of position at times, that is correctable. The zone "moved" very quickly and I think most teams are going to be in for a shock trying to beat this zone which is only going to get better every game. I think we are going to win a lot of games just with our D.

2. This team is fast - runs and pushes the ball forward fast break or not (leading to some turnovers but must expect that early on and correctable). If I recall our teams in the past not everyone was willing to run but oh boy how exciting it is to see a whole team willing to run a fast break. Did we ever take more than 4-5 seconds to cross half court even on a press?

3. This team everyone is a weapon - I'm encouraged that we won't over rely on guard playmaking and are going low to our big men for shots. Including our big men for plays will simply open up our overall offense making it easier for our guards like Trevor to get open looks on inside out plays. In the recent past, I don't think our big men were talented enough to dribble drive but I like our three up front - all are scoring threats in their own way.

I'm totally encouraged so far. Go Orange!
Agreed. Totally encouraged. Totally relentless on the boards too.

I'm encouraged because we were without our 6th starter, our PG had a bad game, and yet we won by 47 points and got to see walk ons. How much more can you expect in the first game of the game of the season with an inexperienced team under those circumstances? Sure they have a lot of work to do, but they seem to be willing to do the work and to be coached, and not all teams are like that. I mean, I'm assuming we easily covered the vegas line or did we have to win by 60 to cover?

The "three sons," I like it, lol! While following it on ESPN game tracker for a while in the 2nd half, I was pleased to see those names keep popping up. It's a good start.

McC and Rak will give us a pretty good hi-lo game.

I like McC at the top of the key as a zone buster.

BJ, Bus and McC need to be respectable from 3.

Lots of length again this year. The zone should be pretty formidable by March.

This is what I am talking about. The game last night gave us nothing to be encouraged about. If anything, watching the 1/2 court offense and shot making ability was discouraging (albeit 1st game of season).

I guess you can be encouraged by the speed and quickness and rebounding - but that was against a terrible team that was small, slow and unathletic.

Im not predicting a bust season... but I just don't see anything to go on right now. We are exactly where we were on Thursday.
Rain meet Parade. Thank you Debbie Downer

I'm encouraged because we were without our 6th starter, our PG had a bad game, and yet we won by 47 points and got to see walk ons. How much more can you expect in the first game of the game of the season with an inexperienced team under those circumstances? Sure they have a lot of work to do, but they seem to be willing to do the work and to be coached, and not all teams are like that. I mean, I'm assuming we easily covered the vegas line or did we have to win by 60 to cover?

I guess I look at it a different way. I certainly give the team an A for the game.

But I don't take a single thing away from that game. It proved nothing to me. There is no reason to be more encouraged today than I was last week or I was the days Grant and Ennis declared.

Your recap of the game is similar to the viral Canadian letter about the Obama presidency. Everything you say is true - but you conveniently leave out a lot of info - like our offense was absolutely dreadful in the 1st half, we still don't have a back up Center, and our shooting is still below average.

Rain meet Parade. Thank you Debbie Downer

are you serious? You must not have read my post.

If your having a parade for beating KSU by 47, that's a you problem. Definitely not a me problem.

Have fun at that parade.

are you serious? You must not have read my post.

If your having a parade for beating KSU by 47, that's a you problem. Definitely not a me problem.

Have fun at that parade.
I understand your perspective - beating Kennesaw thoroughly is no big trick, however, we did what were supposed to do; crushing them on the boards and on the scoreboard. That hasn't always been the case with more established, higher expectation squads we have fielded in recent years. Its a good sign for a team many expect to start very slowly.

I understand your perspective - beating Kennesaw thoroughly is no big trick, however, we did what were supposed to do; crushing them on the boards and on the scoreboard. That hasn't always been the case with more established, higher expectation squads we have fielded in recent years. Its a good sign for a team many expect to start very slowly.

Yeah, like I said in this thread, I give the team an A for the game. I just don't use the game for any future predictions on the rest of the season. Therefore, I am not any more encouraged today than I was on Friday morning.

I guess I look at it a different way. I certainly give the team an A for the game.

But I don't take a single thing away from that game. It proved nothing to me. There is no reason to be more encouraged today than I was last week or I was the days Grant and Ennis declared.

Your recap of the game is similar to the viral Canadian letter about the Obama presidency. Everything you say is true - but you conveniently leave out a lot of info - like our offense was absolutely dreadful in the 1st half, we still don't have a back up Center, and our shooting is still below average.

I respect your opinion and fully agree this season could go any number of ways. I know I often like to guard my expectations to avoid disappointment. I only got home in time to watch the 2nd half of the game, so I admittedly missed a lot and also chose to leave out other facts in my take as you said, but I cant help be be a little tickled by what I did see. I think the announcers influenced me some too, but maybe we each set our expectations differently as well.

You sound like me in FB. Yes this was the first game and a weak team. However, I think you missed a couple of positives. For one, our new talent is easily as impressive as last year's. KJ, while not as poised as TE, already has a better shot. And CM has amazing size (the tallest recruit since Fab) and is a fluid athlete. The sky's the limit for these two and, despite more TO's from KJ than we saw last year with TE, I think you're going to find their contributions more "encouraging" as the season progresses.

Second, MG, who didn't even play last night, gives us more flexibility and depth in the backcourt than we had last year. No, he's not a volume scorer like Dion Waiters. But he's more versatile and 3-4 inches taller. Not only can the kid come in and play solid D (as well or better than any starter), he's decent offensively and has surprising rebounding talent. Patterson's starting to flash as well. This tandem (plus BJ) will take some of the pressure off TC: knowing that he's got some guys behind him that can score might lift the weight off his shoulders as the team's only "shooter".

Third, speaking of taking pressure off our jump-shooters, this is the best inside-outside balance we've had since AO/Ricky. It's only 1 game -- we'll know more when we face Cal and Texas/Iowa next weekend. However, Rak is playing like the monster in the middle we all thought he could be. And he's got a 6-10 kid to clean up his misses. If CM's b/b game develops (as appears likely), we'll have 2 scoring threats on the low-block. Therefore, if last night's 50+ PIP is an indication of our potential inside -- this year's team, though much younger, has a higher ceiling than last year's squad.

Last edited:
Christmas showed a lot of offensive game at times last year, but it wasn't enough to really help the offense. He just wasn't consistent enough to force the defense to double team or even really respect him. The lack of inside threat created problems for every other player on offense.

This year, Christmas may be that much more consistent on offense and force the double team or at least defensive attention paid. Plus, we have McCullough who will be able to help down low offensively. When you add in Johnson and Roberson being viable threats to both shoot and score near the basket, we have a virtual cornucopia of forwards who can score for the team. Last year we had only Fair and Grant to rely on, and both had serious offensive issues that limited them.

I think that our forwards this year are going to be a strength of this team. If Obokoh or Coleman can contribute at all, our whole front line will be an important part of a very successful season.

Our guard rotation of Cooney, Gbiniji and Joseph is almost locked in, but having Patterson in case of emergency doesn't seem nearly as frightening as last year.

Couple quick points:

1) We won by 47 without our most versatile and second-most experienced player.

2) We didn't win by more than 28 points last season. And we played teams just as bad as Kennesaw State.

3) Joseph has more upside than Ennis. McCullough more upside than Grant. And Roberson is actually a better defender than CJ. CJ has him beat by a lot offensively at this point. Add to that a more experienced Cooney/Gbinije and Christmas, who appears to finally have figured it out, and we are a backup center away from having a team just as good as the one we had last year.

Does that mean we're going to go 25-0 again to start the year? Most likely not. But I think those that thought coming into the season that Syracuse wasn't going to be very good are going to be sorely mistaken.

Couple quick points:

1) We won by 47 without our most versatile and second-most experienced player.

2) We didn't win by more than 28 points last season. And we played teams just as bad as Kennesaw State.

3) Joseph has more upside than Ennis. McCullough more upside than Grant. And Roberson is actually a better defender than CJ. CJ has him beat by a lot offensively at this point. Add to that a more experienced Cooney/Gbinije and Christmas, who appears to finally have figured it out, and we are a backup center away from having a team just as good as the one we had last year.

Does that mean we're going to go 25-0 again to start the year? Most likely not. But I think those that thought coming into the season that Syracuse wasn't going to be very good are going to be sorely mistaken.

Some sports analysts and folks on here awhile back thought that we wouldn't even make the NCAA tournament, and some may still think that is likely. While it is possible, it might be due to a stronger ACC than us merely dropping off that far. I'm not how certain a top to bottom stronger conference even is, though it certainly at least looks more top heavy than last season. With our schedule the way it is though, the team may have time to gel and gain some experience and confidence before the majority of our tougher tests, mixed in with maybe the right amount of OOC tests to give JB more of a yardstick to work with earlier than usual. While it's difficult to know how inexperienced players will handle adversity, at this point the character of this mix of players combined with their athletic abilities gives them a higher ceiling in my opinion, as you and others have also pointed out. Sure we question marks, but the potential for greatness is there and may very well manifest sooner than expected by most. I personally find it healthier to focus on that possibility until I see a stronger reason to think/feel otherwise.

The way we beat Carlton makes me feel good about this team and season. Yet duke wins big vs a garbage team and people give them props?

and i bet presbyrtarian +40... maybe that is a me problem, or maybe syracuse will play 10x the defense vs them

While it's difficult to know how inexperienced players will handle adversity, at this point the character of this mix of players combined with their athletic abilities gives them a higher ceiling in my opinion, as you and others have also pointed out. Sure we question marks, but the potential for greatness is there and may very well manifest sooner than expected by most. I personally find it healthier to focus on that possibility until I see a stronger reason to think/feel otherwise.

I just want to point out, that I was NOT predicting anything... and I posted that a few times.

This is the most athletic team that I can ever remember, so the ceiling is very high. We just don't know how high we need to go or can go.

2 games in, we have played bad basketball for 3 halves and good basketball for 1 half. We are lost offensively right now. Hopefully that improves over the next few weeks.

But I just want to stress, I am not saying we are bad or will be bad. I am not saying the season is over. I am saying the scoreboard lied to us on Friday night. It painted a much prettier picture than reality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom