My game thoughts.. | Syracusefan.com

My game thoughts..

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Very rarely do I have long post-game thoughts but I figured I would give it a shot. Also, please don't ban me.

Overall thoughts after the win--> Even when FSU pulled the game to 3 at halftime, I never thought the outcome was ever in doubt. What I have noticed about this team is when Jim calls timeouts, we almost always seem to respond the next play with a big bucket. To me, it's usually by G. He's turned into an absolutely fantastic player for us.

Backcourt play-->
  1. Cooney did a nice job of making some buckets early which I believe is absolutely critical to our success. FSU seemed to tighten up defense on him after the first few minutes and it led to a more difficult time for him to get open looks, i.e. forcing things. Even with our team shooting the best it has all year by far, Cooney still finished 3-11. I am not trying to turn this into a Cooney debate/bashing, as neither side is right or wrong, but the fact is, it's a hell of a lot easier for us out there when Cooney isn't forcing shots and can shoot at least around 45%. And, you cannot deny the hustle he has out there.
  2. Richardson has turned into a fantastic player. He is much more than just a shooter. He's been confident driving and can finish with both hands much better than he was earlier in the year. He will have off games but the confidence is through the roof. He is also a much better rebounder than many give him credit for and led our team in dimes with 5 yesterday. Fun to watch.
  3. Not much to say about G. He has played at an all-american level all year long. If we were ranked, he would certainly be getting more national praise. All while playing out of position. He had a rough patch early in ACC play but he has picked it up significantly and is certainly our best player. He had a great stretch yesterday where he completely dominated when FSU kept switching ball screens. Smart basketball. Also, the guy has incredible hops- that missed dunk last night would have been number 1 on SC top 10. I think he gets drafted.
  4. As for Howard, I think it's quite obvious where I stand with him as I've been called out many times for repeatedly saying how good he is going to be. By the way, he is going to be good. Instinct. Can't teach it. He's smooth. Some can call it a bit too loose (think opposite of Trevor while dribbling) and that's fine, but remember- he's still very young. Good things happen when he is allowed to make plays. Will some head-scratchers happen too? Obviously. Can't wait for him next year.
Frontcourt play-->
  1. Rough start for Coleman. Had a tough time boxing out some of the FSU bigs and struggled to finish inside as he often has all year. However, the start of the second half was absolutely awesome to watch. Best he has ever played in that small stretch and it was great to see him respond and the crowd/coaching staff recognize it. He can still contribute and again, we need him.
  2. Similar to Coleman, rough start for Lydon. Picked up some early fouls and just isn't strong enough to play the 5 against big ACC teams. However, he showed some fantastic moves in the post with footwork and head fakes to get the defenders in the air. He's also one of those players that I will never have a problem with when they shoot a 3. Another double/double.
  3. I guess the early theme was poor front court play as Roberson got yanked extremely early. I think it was an overreaction by Jim (shocking!), but he also played much better in the second half. Elite rebounder and a guy who runs the floor as good as anyone. Still wonder why we feed him at the top of the key, but he is capable of knocking down a 12 foot jumper. He was relatively quiet yesterday on the boards, but had some nice finishes off of guard penetration.

We shot 62%, made 8 threes on 17 attempts, scored 85 points, with 20 turnovers. That's not something you usually see.

I didn't think this team would make the NCAAT after our 0-4 start. I was proven wrong (knock on wood). Go Orange.

It's funny, and I'm not picking on you, but the complaint about JB has a quick hook (regarding Roberson) is exactly the opposite of what the complaint was against Hopkins (he left guys in too long).

Roberson is definately the whipping boy on this team if you watch JB coach. He's constantly in his face trying to get him to be aggressive.

It's funny, and I'm not picking on you, but the complaint about JB has a quick hook (regarding Roberson) is exactly the opposite of what the complaint was against Hopkins (he left guys in too long).

Roberson is definately the whipping boy on this team if you watch JB coach. He's constantly in his face trying to get him to be aggressive.
Can't you edit the term "whipping boy". You are correct , Roberson needs to see blood before his warrior comes out .

When your best rebounder begins slowly, you have to point it out to him or the game could go south quickly.

One awesome designed play by Boeheim out of a timeout that stood out: Coleman at the high post fed (I think) Richardson on a back-door cut. That was one of many fantastic passes in the second half, and it in particular is a great way to take advantage of one of Coleman's strongest skills - one that many of us thought we'd see more of during his career here.

Boeheim's got a long record of success in drawing up offensive plays after timeouts; he gets us a number of "free" baskets during the course of the game. One thing that's overlooked during our run of ugly basketball from 2013-2015 is that we haven't had that same success, further crippling a limited offense. No more double-stack up top with a lob to the cutter from the inbounder, no backscreens on the baseline freeing up a layup attempt. Surely Boeheim's capable of identifying weakness and drawing up plays to exploit them; it seems that he just hasn't had players with the skills to execute the plays with consistency.

Loved to see the return of that last night and -- with our three most skilled offensive players returning as sophomores alongside Battle -- I believe that there will be a lot more of that in the next couple years.

1. As for Howard, I think it's quite obvious where I stand with him as I've been called out many times for repeatedly saying how good he is going to be. By the way, he is going to be good. Instinct. Can't teach it. He's smooth. Some can call it a bit too loose (think opposite of Trevor while dribbling) and that's fine, but remember- he's still very young. Good things happen when he is allowed to make plays. Will some head-scratchers happen too? Obviously. Can't wait for him next year.

Exactly. Howard's got it, Richardson's got it, and we've struggled intermittently for three-plus years because too few of our guards have had it. We're in good shape next season.

Speaking of Howard, where's his green light these days? No perimeter shots, obviously. No floaters with 4 on the shot clock. No layups with 4 on the shot clock. His passing's obviously better than his shooting, but it's odd to see a guy lead the offense with such limitations imposed.

im not sure Roberson is capable of knocking down the 12 foot jumper on a consistent basis. Roberson is a garbage man, pure and simple.

im not sure Roberson is capable of knocking down the 12 foot jumper on a consistent basis. Roberson is a garbage man, pure and simple.

Oh definitely not consistently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom