My Philadelphia 76'ers are now... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Philadelphia 76'ers are now...

They traded KJ because they signed him to a short term low money contract and he probably will get a good amount of money in the open market. They don't trade him for anything and they lose him and get zero in return. I actually understand that move.

Then what's the point in getting a bunch of 2nd round picks if you aren't going to sign the guy when one finally hits

djcon57 said:
Then what's the point in getting a bunch of 2nd round picks if you aren't going to sign the guy when one finally hits

Because when they signed him they wanted him to sign a Grant like deal, so when they do hit on the pick they have a quality player locked up for 4 years for peanuts. Instead they get another pick and a player.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but they're getting something instead of nothing.

They traded KJ because they signed him to a short term low money contract and he probably will get a good amount of money in the open market. They don't trade him for anything and they lose him and get zero in return. I actually understand that move.
He would be a RFA if he has less than 3 years experience. So Philly could have matched any big offer McDaniels may have gotten on the open market. Plus Philly has a lot of cap space so if McDaniels goes off they could afford him. Hinkie is just making moves cause he doesn't like the players.

I don't think Sam's ultimate goal is to build a team enitreely through the draft at. Its to find and settle on at least 2-3 high end core pieces through the draft, discard whatever players and picks are left at that point for other current NBA players, and also have a bit left with the cap. To me its being executed fine so far, but the consolidation part is what is going to be difficult.

It has to suck to be a fan of this type of approach. There is not much to grow attached to on this team, and you find a nice young player in MCW to go for. But he is not seen as part of that key core in the end. You basically can't get attached to anyone.

Hinkle still has time but in my view its 2 years or less -- he has to settle on a core before people get into second contracts.
As a Philly fan, I agree with all of this except the part about it sucking to be a fan. Trying *something* is just so much more interesting than anything the franchise has done in forever. We'll see...

Because when they signed him they wanted him to sign a Grant like deal, so when they do hit on the pick they have a quality player locked up for 4 years for peanuts. Instead they get another pick and a player.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but they're getting something instead of nothing.

Ya that's the advantage of getting picked in the 2nd round. McDaniels bet on himself and signed a 1 year deal. Have to give it to the kid, he knew he could play at that level, and went all in on himself. But if the 76ers are going the route of hoarding draft picks they should be fully ready to actually sign one if they hit, unless they aren't totally sold on McDaniels. Personally i'd sign McDaniels, i'm sure he won't demand too much YET.

I'd be frustrated if I were a Philly fan, but I understand. One thing that I like that Hinkie does is if he isn't reasonably sure someone will be good in the long term, he lets him go or trades him for future assets. Now this didn't apply to Grant, but Philly got him on the cheap. We've all seen GMs overpay for mediocre talent. In the end, I think signing a bad player to an expensive contract hurts more than passing up on someone who is good.

I hope Jason Kidd keeps and mentors both of them.

Just odd to see a bunch of people talk about Jason Kidd like he is a savior. The guy has had an awful reputation the last 10 years.

Hopefully this is just click bait, because if not, Hinkie is legit trolling the entire city of Philadelphia.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhei...red-anyone-on-their-team-for-more-no-1-picks/

I guess its not that hard to understand. They haven't gotten the player they want to build around yet. Yes, they've had high lottery picks, but they don't feel any of them are the foundation for what they are trying to build, so they continue trying to recycle and improve their prospects in upcoming drafts to hopefully land that guy that they think they will be able to build around. Presumably last season they were shooting for Wiggins or Parker. When they ended up in the 3 slot and couldn't get their man they settled for Embid, but they don't necessarily view him as the cornerstone player. Maybe this year they're targeting Okafor?. Until they get their cornerstone player they are trying to keep amassing draft assets to give them an increased likelihood of being able to put themselves in position to get the foundational player they want.

Once they get their man then they begin in earnest trying to turn the assets they have into a workable team. It is a somewhat unique approach because most teams will blow things up and then settle and lock themselves into building around the guy they settled for. The interesting thing to see will be how long can they keep doing what they are doing before they can't sell tickets at all.

I think it's possible MCW just isn't any good. I'm not saying he isn't good, because the team around him is so bad, but his percentages are pretty awful. 44.4% true shooting. Milwaukee is at least a legit NBA team, so we'll get to see what he has with them now.

The Sixers plan is real interesting. They are certainly going all in with their plan. It probably would have worked better 30 years ago when everyone stayed in college for 3-4 years and you knew who the studs were gonna be when the draft came. If they draft the next Anthony Davis, the plan will look pretty damn good.

I think it's possible MCW just isn't any good. I'm not saying he isn't good, because the team around him is so bad, but his percentages are pretty awful. 44.4% true shooting. Milwaukee is at least a legit NBA team, so we'll get to see what he has with them now.

The Sixers plan is real interesting. They are certainly going all in with their plan. It probably would have worked better 30 years ago when everyone stayed in college for 3-4 years and you knew who the studs were gonna be when the draft came. If they draft the next Anthony Davis, the plan will look pretty damn good.
I saw MCW play a decent amount last year and he looked legit when he was surrounded by, at least, NBA talent. Then they traded them all away and then traded what was left. Impossible to judge him on what he's been dealt.

In the NBA you only win championships if you have one of the top 5(maybe 10) players in the league. The Sixers are not the Lakers, Celtics, or Knicks. They won't be able to get one of those elite players in free agency. Therefore, the only option is to get them in the draft. The strategy is to keep trading assets for draft picks until one of those picks translates into a Lebron, Kobe, Durant, Dirk, Duncan, etc. The goal is to get as lucky as OKC(Durant), Cleveland(LeBron), or SA(Duncan). Once you have one of those elite players it is easier to get FAs to round out the squad.

Yup. It should also be noted that every single champion since 1980 has been at least partially built around a superstar they drafted(except 1983 Philly and 2004 Detroit). Magic, Bird, Isiah, Jordan, Olajuwon, Duncan, Kobe, Pierce, Dirk, Wade. All superstars that won almost all the championships in the last 35 years, for the teams that drafted them.

I saw MCW play a decent amount last year and he looked legit when he was surrounded by, at least, NBA talent. Then they traded them all away and then traded what was left. Impossible to judge him on what he's been dealt.

Yeah, I don't want to write him off because of that, and I'm glad he's going to get a chance now. But man, his numbers are brutal this year.

Yup. It should also be noted that every single champion since 1980 has been at least partially built around a superstar they drafted(except 1983 Philly and 2004 Detroit). Magic, Bird, Isiah, Jordan, Olajuwon, Duncan, Kobe, Pierce, Dirk, Wade. All superstars that won almost all the championships in the last 35 years, for the teams that drafted them.
There can only be one champion every year, but there are 16 playoff teams. That means extra revenue and generally good will from your fans. The smart money is on competing more so than building a champion.

Right now the Philly fans are buying in, but there will be a limit to that and I think the MCW trade showcases that some. I'm also not sure I buy that Philly can't attract quality free agents. I do think Philly is smart for not throwing good money at the kinds of mediocre free agents they'd likely bring in right now.

There can only be one champion every year, but there are 16 playoff teams. That means extra revenue and generally good will from your fans. The smart money is on competing more so than building a champion.

Right now the Philly fans are buying in, but there will be a limit to that and I think the MCW trade showcases that some. I'm also not sure I buy that Philly can't attract quality free agents. I do think Philly is smart for not throwing good money at the kinds of mediocre free agents they'd likely bring in right now.

I think it would be difficult to attract good free agents right now. The elite players want to go somewhere they know they can compete. (Insert joke about Melo here, but I think he proves my argument, since he stayed with the Knicks because of how much more they could pay him).

Seen numerous 76ers fans and insiders sight MCW's supposed lack of effort, coachability and enthusiasm.

Left me immensely confused and almost angry with Philly.

I think it would be difficult to attract good free agents right now. The elite players want to go somewhere they know they can compete. (Insert joke about Melo here, but I think he proves my argument, since he stayed with the Knicks because of how much more they could pay him).
Yeah, I don't mean right now as much as just in general. Philly isn't in the same class as Milwaukee/Detroit/Utah and some others.

Yeah, I don't mean right now as much as just in general. Philly isn't in the same class as Milwaukee/Detroit/Utah and some others.

Oh like as a general FA destination. Sure, I agree with that. They might not be LA/Miami/New York (he says, hoping NY will attract FA) but I don't see why they wouldn't be in the next tier. And really, it's going to be all about situations anyway. If 2 of the guys they draft develop into stars, then they'll have no problem attracting FA talent.

I guess its not that hard to understand. They haven't gotten the player they want to build around yet. Yes, they've had high lottery picks, but they don't feel any of them are the foundation for what they are trying to build, so they continue trying to recycle and improve their prospects in upcoming drafts to hopefully land that guy that they think they will be able to build around. Presumably last season they were shooting for Wiggins or Parker. When they ended up in the 3 slot and couldn't get their man they settled for Embid, but they don't necessarily view him as the cornerstone player. Maybe this year they're targeting Okafor?. Until they get their cornerstone player they are trying to keep amassing draft assets to give them an increased likelihood of being able to put themselves in position to get the foundational player they want.

Once they get their man then they begin in earnest trying to turn the assets they have into a workable team. It is a somewhat unique approach because most teams will blow things up and then settle and lock themselves into building around the guy they settled for. The interesting thing to see will be how long can they keep doing what they are doing before they can't sell tickets at all.

Excellent post. Especially about teams settling - Philly is not.

They are recycling assets until they get that player -- and with all the picks and cap space, they don't necessarily need to settle on a team full off puppies once they find that young core piece or two.

Seen numerous 76ers fans and insiders sight MCW's supposed lack of effort, coachability and enthusiasm.

Left me immensely confused and almost angry with Philly.

sounds like the 76ers are following the Red Sox blueprint of trashing the guy on the way out.

This is where Philly has a long lease with it's fans. They legitimately battled for 14 years and that usually left them at the back of the lottery or the 7th or 8th seed with no shot. The city stopped caring. It was a terrible cycle. Believe it or not, *this* is actually entertaining. Ticket sale dollars are nothing compared to tv money and appreciation of the team's value. The fans have another 1-2 years in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom