My Question for the next Dino Baber's Show (MTS) | Syracusefan.com

My Question for the next Dino Baber's Show (MTS)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
New Home for AmeriCU Dino Babers Show

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to The Mark Levin Show on WGVA on TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter
Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Syracuse University Athletics

You can listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s)

“Coach, everybody’s concerned about the running game. I’ve looked at the numbers at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green, and your teams have always been able to run the ball. Is there anything strategically different that you did then or was it just the result of the difference between the personnel and opposition you had then as opposed to now? “

Great question. The line just doesn't seem physical. Couldn't knock a D-2 line on their rump.
Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
New Home for AmeriCU Dino Babers Show

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to The Mark Levin Show on WGVA on TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter
Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Syracuse University Athletics

You can listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s)

“Coach, everybody’s concerned about the running game. I’ve looked at the numbers at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green, and your teams have always been able to run the ball. Is there anything strategically different that you did then or was it just the result of the difference between the personnel and opposition you had then as opposed to now? “

i havent gone looking for ole BG film.. were they physical or a finesse blocking scheme?

Please don't let HCDB get away with the "loaded the box" answer. I like that he's not calling players out in public and if that is the direction he wants to go I completely respect that if he doesn't elaborate further.

Good question.

For a little background, Babers inherited a BGSU team that was already good in 2013 (10 wins), featuring a soph RB (Travis Greene) who had posted 1500 yds rushing, and 3 starters from an OL that (according to a pre-season preview) "was excellent at creating opportunities for its backs".

He didn't have to build a running game from scratch.

Good question.

For a little background, Babers inherited a BGSU team that was already good in 2013 (10 wins), featuring a soph RB (Travis Greene) who had posted 1500 yds rushing, and 3 starters from an OL that (according to a pre-season preview) "was excellent at creating opportunities for its backs".

He's building a heck of a wall since he's been on the Hill and I agree, it does take some time to achieve the players and system he needs to run this OITNF.

He's building a heck of a wall since he's been on the Hill and I agree, it does take some time to achieve the players and system he needs to run this OITNF.

In 2016, Babers showed he can upgrade a passing attack, with inherited ingredients (Dungey, Ishmael, Phillips, Estime) plus one grad transfer (AET) who emerged as our MVP. He is still relying on inherited ingredients for that passing attack, supplemented in 2017 by a juco TE. This season may show the results of an off-season devoted to adding depth to the defense.

The running game? Will be interested in how Dino answers SWC's question, and what we see week to week.

That's a great question SWC and well phrased. I don't want to hear about 7/8 in the box, I want to know why they could run at the other two stops and now they can't.

I rewatched the 1st half and was specifically watching the O-line to see how often they knocked a DL on their rear end. I only saw it once the whole half (towards the beginning of the 2nd quarter). Would think you'd see it a little more against a D-2 team.

Digging deeper...

The 2014 BG squad played 2 P5 teams.

Indiana - 40 rushes, 176 yards, 4.4 YPC
Wisconsin - 29 rushes, 93 yards, 3.2 YPC

The 2015 BG squad played 3 P5 teams.

Tennessee - 34 rushes, 124 yards, 3.6 YPC
Maryland - 50 rushes, 201 yards, 4.0 YPC
Purdue - 33 rushes, 137 yards, 4.2 YPC

The 2016 Syracuse squad played 9 P5 teams.

Averaged: 37 rushes/game, 118 yards/game, 3.2 YPC

If you remove their ABYSMAL rushing performances against FSU and NCST you bump up to 3.67 YPC

I think what this shows is we have a RB who is a bit out of position, an OK-at-best OL, and better competition.

What will Dino say? TBD

Digging deeper...

If you remove their ABYSMAL rushing performances against FSU and NCST you bump up to 3.67 YPC

I think what this shows is we have a RB who is a bit out of position, an OK-at-best OL, and better competition.

What will Dino say? TBD

This is good stuff.

I think all OC's would prefer 5 yards a carry or more. Babers included.

But it makes you wonder if it matters less since our 3rd down % is way up under Babers and he goes for it more on 4th down anyways? Like a 3 yard run is not ideal - but not exactly the same death sentence is was under SS. If we were better at it, it would require the opposing D to pay more attention to it - but maybe the threat is there at 3.67 yards per carry?

This is good stuff.

I think all OC's would prefer 5 yards a carry or more. Babers included.

But it makes you wonder if it matters less since our 3rd down % is way up under Babers and he goes for it more on 4th down anyways? Like a 3 yard run is not ideal - but not exactly the same death sentence is was under SS. If we were better at it, it would require the opposing D to pay more attention to it - but maybe the threat is there at 3.67 yards per carry?

A few more things to note...

Babers uses a lot of quick screens outside to WR's - those are runs, just not in your box score.

I think the sweet spot for SU is to get up over 4 YPC this year. It's going to be tough against Clem, FSU, L'V, and NCST but it can be done. 5 would be phenomenal but with these RB's and this OL I don't see 5 getting sustained long-term. I think these next two games you will see a 4.5 YPC or maybe even a 5 (CMU)

The problem is his NON-P5 teams had more success running against P5 schools than our P5 school has running against non-P5 schools. We should have gashed them on the ground last game. There is no excuse for it IMO.

Our top 2 backs rushed 19 times for 55 yards for 2.89 yards a carry. If we can bully Central Connecticut and run the ball successfully it gives me little hope that we will be able to establish a running game against a P5 school.

Digging deeper...

What will Dino say? TBD

Keep in mind Dino supposedly now has power 5 talent to go against those Power 5 schools, although I'm not sure how we would grade out vs. BG, especially at the RB and OL positions at this point.

Good question.

But he had even more running success at EIU and they were coming off a 2 win season.

Maybe I'll use "People are concerned".

(Not that you aren't people is you aren't concerned.)
I am a little concerned. I am not so sure about my mom or the pope. ;)

Last edited:
I am little concerned. I am not so sure about my mom or the pope. ;)

Don't be so sure about the Pope!

Pope-Francis-800x430.jpg

Were the teams he started with as bad at running as ours were the last few years.. multiple coaches, rbs, oline dudes and the same issues.. The only constant is the turf and the lack of Wifi..

If you are listening to the show, I haven't been able to ask my question because no one is answering the phone at either number. It's probably some kind of technical problem. I'll keep trying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom