My question for tomorrow night's Dino Babers Show | Syracusefan.com

My question for tomorrow night's Dino Babers Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
http://cuse.com/news/2016/8/30/football-dino-babers-radio-show-debuts-wednesday.aspx

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse)99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: WGVA

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter
Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

My Question(s)

“Coach, I park for the games near the statues of the three 44’s outside the practice facility. When I look at them, I see the heroes of my youth who scored all those touchdowns in Syracuse University’s glory era. I also have come to realize that they and others were pioneers. Syracuse was one of the early schools to use black players and Syracuse was where the early battles for acceptance and recognition were fought. The 44s and others paved the way for many of the players and coaches we now have on the team.

What do you see when you look at those statues? What do you players see? What do potential recruits see?”

when are you gonna bring the heat ? high, hard and inside !

triplecrown_1_7-6-08_t670.jpg

my question.
"coach explain to us who don't grasp the game why losing 62-28 and 45-20 is much better than losing 34-0 and 25-0.
ok so our offense didn't score but the defense was so much better..! big butt kickings both ways. your preference?

my question.
"coach explain to us who don't grasp the game why losing 62-28 and 45-20 is much better than losing 34-0 and 25-0.
ok so our offense didn't score but the defense was so much better..! big butt kickings both ways. your preference?

Interesting way to look at it......but from my view 60 years ago you would never ask this question.
When football went unlimited substitution and two platoon and super specialized it became something other than what it had been......for purists and oldtimers back in the 60s it died! Like this old (61 year old) coach who had seen Jim Thorpe, Red Grange and Bronko Nagurski play, hit it on the head when he told me circa 1963 that "now you have teams within a team groups within groups, the need for more players cliques within cliques, that this simple brutal game has become a complicated 3 ring circus."
When we played both ways it was different. I can't say it was better...but there was a greater sense of accountability and unity. The TEAM was eleven guys going against 11 guys both ways. You owned the result. You couldn't blame it on the defense, you couldn't blame it on the offense, or special teams. . you were it! and with subs being limited to one time per half the pressure to perform was great. If you got subbed out for screwing up it wasn't just not seeing the field for the rest of the game but seeing the field at all for the rest of the season.

Interesting way to look at it...but from my view 60 years ago you would never ask this question.
When football went unlimited substitution and two platoon and super specialized it became something other than what it had been...for purists and oldtimers back in the 60s it died! Like this old (61 year old) coach who had seen Jim Thorpe, Red Grange and Bronko Nagurski play, hit it on the head when he told me circa 1963 that "now you have teams within a team groups within groups, the need for more players cliques within cliques, that this simple brutal game has become a complicated 3 ring circus."
When we played both ways it was different. I can't say it was better...but there was a greater sense of accountability and unity. The TEAM was eleven guys going against 11 guys both ways. You owned the result. You couldn't blame it on the defense, you couldn't blame it on the offense, or special teams. . you were it! and with subs being limited to one time per half the pressure to perform was great. If you got subbed out for screwing up it wasn't just not seeing the field for the rest of the game but seeing the field at all for the rest of the season.

We're not going back but I've always thought that at the school level players should play both ways to show what they can do on each side of the ball and have a better chance at the pros. Then they can specialize in the pros. I also think it was better when lineman were like free-style wrestlers rather than sumo wrestlers. This guy was 6-3 255, played offensive tackle and could out-run Frank Gifford:
3199-41Fr.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom