My Questions for tonight's Dino Babers Show - before UNC | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for tonight's Dino Babers Show - before UNC

SWC75

Bored Historian

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 60 minutes, with the first 50 minutes being with Dino and the last 10 minutes being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG (Update: this account seems to have closed.)
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

Coach, I have two questions one from me and one from a fellow Syracusefan.com poster.

Could you compare the performance of your receivers to that of Clemson’s in Saturday’s game in terms of running routes and coming back to give a scrambling quarterback potential targets?

My fellow poster looked up our ranking in terms of avoiding penalties since you’ve been here:
2016: 124 (out of 128) 2017: 84 (out of 130) 2018: 111 (out of 130) 2019: 129 (out of 130)
2020: 103 (out of 128) 2021: 71 (out of 130) 2022: 131 (out of 131) 2023: 117 (out of 130)

That’s an average of 109th in the country and we’ve never been in the top 50%. Why can’t we avoid penalties?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 60 minutes, with the first 50 minutes being with Dino and the last 10 minutes being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG (Update: this account seems to have closed.)

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coach, I have two questions one from me and one from a fellow Syracusefan.com poster.

Could you compare the performance of your receivers to that of Clemson’s in Saturday’s game in terms of running routes and coming back to give a scrambling quarterback potential targets?

My fellow poster looked up our ranking in terms of avoiding penalties since you’ve been here:
2016: 124 (out of 128) 2017: 84 (out of 130) 2018: 111 (out of 130) 2019: 129 (out of 130)
2020: 103 (out of 128) 2021: 71 (out of 130) 2022: 131 (out of 131) 2023: 117 (out of 130)

That’s an average of 109th in the country and we’ve never been in the top 50%. Why can’t we avoid penalties?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can’t wait to hear the response on this with penalties

Its a serious issue and it’s absolutely costing us games

Assume it’ll be something like “ohana this ohana that, consistently good not occasionally great, offensive coordinator changes” Phenomenal question that will get a less than stellar answer.

My guess on Q1 is simply that there isn’t enough time for GS to wait for that to happen. Not always, but it’s a surprise if it happens, and the WRs don’t anticipate it.

Re: Q2, I really can’t imagine. We have had so many assistants over HCDB’s tenure that he is almost the only constant in that time frame. And I just don’t believe the HC can influence something like that so completely. I suspect it’s more a combination of a) bad luck, b) the downside of a high speed, aggressive style (though even when we tried to slow it down the results were the same, perhaps more due to players who were less capable), and c) a constant turnover of players trying to do too much individually.

I heard Dino sort of address this when he said one possible answer is to make the practices “harder.” So the games would be easier. I’m not smart enough to know what this means. But Navy Seals train under extreme conditions so their processes - mental and physical - perform better under “real” situations. I suspect that is a good strategy if you can pull it off.

My guess on Q1 is simply that there isn’t enough time for GS to wait for that to happen. Not always, but it’s a surprise if it happens, and the WRs don’t anticipate it.

Re: Q2, I really can’t imagine. We have had so many assistants over HCDB’s tenure that he is almost the only constant in that time frame. And I just don’t believe the HC can influence something like that so completely. I suspect it’s more a combination of a) bad luck, b) the downside of a high speed, aggressive style (though even when we tried to slow it down the results were the same, perhaps more due to players who were less capable), and c) a constant turnover of players trying to do too much individually.

I heard Dino sort of address this when he said one possible answer is to make the practices “harder.” So the games would be easier. I’m not smart enough to know what this means. But Navy Seals train under extreme conditions so their processes - mental and physical - perform better under “real” situations. I suspect that is a good strategy if you can pull it off.
I guess the tough balance to find is making practice hard enough while not making it so hard that it leads to more injuries or causes guys to get too run down over the course of the season.

Can you ask him about his emotions on the sideline in key situations, or lack thereof?

I think he'll say, I'd have to go back and look to see what kind of penalties those were at the time. Certainly we jumped and made a few mistakes but sometimes it's in the heat of the moment and you can't fault a kid for going full speed and committing a penalty.
To which I'd say, then why do we do it more than other teams on a consistent basis.

Can you ask him about his emotions on the sideline in key situations, or lack thereof?

I think two questions is enough but you can send or call in that question, if you like.

I heard Dino sort of address this when he said one possible answer is to make the practices “harder.” So the games would be easier.
that wasn’t in response to penalties - it was his suggestion to help the kids not be so tight on a bigger stage.

What truthful answer can he really give on penalties and lack of discipline? It’s like asking JB why he doesn’t play man. We know the reason but he isn’t going there.

Since you have limited time, I would just paraphrase your second question to:

"We are on average since 2016 109th in the country in penalties and we’ve never been in the top 50%. Why can’t we avoid penalties?"

I think its degrading and takes a while if you read all of the rankings.

"With all the owies you have, you have more inexperienced players on the field. When you run a lot of plays and are trying to be fast, sometimes the hippos and elephants are slightly too fast before the snap."

"We are on average since 2016 109th in the country in penalties and we’ve never been in the top 50%. Why can’t we avoid penalties?"

If SWC75 doesn't call in and read all the rankings then I will. Starting at #1 …

"With all the owies you have, you have more inexperienced players on the field. When you run a lot of plays and are trying to be fast, sometimes the hippos and elephants are slightly too fast before the snap."
If Dino actually says this nobody would be surprised lol

'Why can't we avoid penalties', allows for an easy answer. Why are we always one of the most penalized teams?

I think it's right to the point. We have never been good at avoiding penalties in the Babers era.

Can’t wait to hear the response on this with penalties

Its a serious issue and it’s absolutely costing us games

Assume it’ll be something like “ohana this ohana that, consistently good not occasionally great, offensive coordinator changes” Phenomenal question that will get a less than stellar answer.

I think he'll say, I'd have to go back and look to see what kind of penalties those were at the time. Certainly we jumped and made a few mistakes but sometimes it's in the heat of the moment and you can't fault a kid for going full speed and committing a penalty.
To which I'd say, then why do we do it more than other teams on a consistent basis.

that wasn’t in response to penalties - it was his suggestion to help the kids not be so tight on a bigger stage.

What truthful answer can he really give on penalties and lack of discipline? It’s like asking JB why he doesn’t play man. We know the reason but he isn’t going there.

'Why can't we avoid penalties', allows for an easy answer. Why are we always one of the most penalized teams?

So what was your response to his actual answers?

Interest. The top offenses this year are high in penalties, but is that a trend every year? Each year do the top offenses have high penalty rankings aswell? Interested to find out when I get home and can look up the numbers.

Sounds about right. I guess it’s true that a receiver coming back for a ball might interfere with a QB’s running route. Still it seems like the broken route and pass is the more highly desired option than a QB running for his life, as we have seen.

Interest. The top offenses this year are high in penalties, but is that a trend every year? Each year do the top offenses have high penalty rankings aswell? Interested to find out when I get home and can look up the numbers.

Penalties and yards: SU- 40/394yds NC - 20/185yds

Personally, felt he gave excuses. Didn’t love his response.

No reason for Wax to do what he did and put himself in that situation. A lot of the penalties are pre snap penalties (or at least it feels that way)

But that’s just me, didn’t sit well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom