My take on the 2015 Season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My take on the 2015 Season

Thanks, Niko. Love the analysis even though I may disagree on a few points.

I still think that we can catch LSU on the letdown: They will be coming off two reasonably tough games and we will be warming up to them with reasonably winnable games. They will see us as a break in their schedule while we will be keyed up and in the Dome. Catch a little lightening in a bottle and Syracuse pulls off the upset (the LSU seeks revenge on the remainder of their schedule).

I think 6-6 is the low mark and 10-2 is the high mark for this team. I predict 8 wins with Syracuse being in all of the games going into the 4th quarter.

I think the offense scores more points and that eases the burden on the defense long enough to get up to Shafer/Bullough standards. I would not be surprised if this O averages 30 or more per game and the D decreases its allowed points/game. Just keeping the O on the field longer should decrease the D's allowed points/game.

I've said it numerous times before, but I'll say it again. NCState is sooooo overrated! I explained it in another thread, but I'll put the bullet points here for those who might have missed it.

They played an awful OOC schedule (which they are repeating this year) winning 4 of their games against overmatched teams.
It included Georgia Southern, ODU and Presbyterian at home and @USF

Don't sleep on Georgia Southern. Their coach, Willie Fritz, is a miracle worker. He took an FCS team, moved up to FBS, and absolutely dominated their new conference in their first year with FCS talent. He also took what used to be a terrible Sam Houston State team to a national championship in a very fast turnaround and his winning percentage at Central Missouri was off the charts before that. A great coach can make all the difference. Ask Baylor. Baylor was a joke for 20 years before Art Briles got there. They had every excuse in the world why they couldn't compete in the Big 12 (very similar to our excuses in the ACC) and Briles changed everything.

Fritz is too good for Georgia Southern. It's a shame we're not looking for a new coach because he'd probably jump at the chance to coach a P5 conference team and he'd turn things around at Syracuse in a hurry.

My apologies for going off on a tangent. Just want that name on our radar if our coaching situation ever changes.

Don't sleep on Georgia Southern. Their coach, Willie Fritz, is a miracle worker. He took an FCS team, moved up to FBS, and absolutely dominated their new conference in their first year with FCS talent. He also took what used to be a terrible Sam Houston State team to a national championship in a very fast turnaround and his winning percentage at Central Missouri was off the charts before that. A great coach can make all the difference. Ask Baylor. Baylor was a joke for 20 years before Art Briles got there. They had every excuse in the world why they couldn't compete in the Big 12 (very similar to our excuses in the ACC) and Briles changed everything.

Fritz is too good for Georgia Southern. It's a shame we're not looking for a new coach because he'd probably jump at the chance to coach a P5 conference team and he'd turn things around at Syracuse in a hurry.

My apologies for going off on a tangent. Just want that name on our radar if our coaching situation ever changes.
I don't know about you, but I'm not there yet.

OrangeJohn said:
Don't sleep on Georgia Southern. Their coach, Willie Fritz, is a miracle worker. He took an FCS team, moved up to FBS, and absolutely dominated their new conference in their first year with FCS talent. He also took what used to be a terrible Sam Houston State team to a national championship in a very fast turnaround and his winning percentage at Central Missouri was off the charts before that. A great coach can make all the difference. Ask Baylor. Baylor was a joke for 20 years before Art Briles got there. They had every excuse in the world why they couldn't compete in the Big 12 (very similar to our excuses in the ACC) and Briles changed everything. Fritz is too good for Georgia Southern. It's a shame we're not looking for a new coach because he'd probably jump at the chance to coach a P5 conference team and he'd turn things around at Syracuse in a hurry. My apologies for going off on a tangent. Just want that name on our radar if our coaching situation ever changes.

Who's making excuses?

I've heard fans say that it's unrealistic for anyone to expect us to compete with Florida State because we're smaller, we're private, we're in a bad place geographically (freezing weather), our recent history can't compare to FSU's, etc.

The same things were said about Baylor: small, private, Waco is the armpit of Texas, they can't compete with the Longhorns, Sooners, etc.

To be clear, I'm not implying that our coaches or players are making excuses. I like HCSS. I'm just saying Fritz is one of those special coaches that don't come around very often.

We have a special coach now. "I served with Scott Shafer. I know Scott Shafer. Scott Shafer is a friend of mine. Willie Fritz is no Scott Shafer." If you want instant gratification play a video game. I'm in this for the long haul and I know HCSS will get it done if he gets the time. Posts that question the longevity of this staff's tenure damage the program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom