My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am having a tough time finding time to do these posts but hey, we got an extra hour today so I thought I would take advantage and post some thoughts.

They might to more than the FSU game. Maybe to apply the last few games...

We all saw what BC did to FSU on Chestnut Hill last week. They ran the ball on them and ripped their defense to shreds. It was disappointing to see how poorly we did running it against them. Only a QB playing on one leg could get past the line of scrimmage and even he failed to do so regularly.

It looked to me as though FSU had a lot of people in the box. It looked like they wanted to take the inside run away. I thought they initially were more than willing to give us passes over the middle, playing a lot of zone with soft coverage. When we tried to go long down the sideline, they had our guys overplayed and their DBs were often in better position to catch the ball than our receivers. It also looked like any passing play that took more than 2 or 3 seconds to develop resulted in a major breakdown by our OL and ED getting flushed from the pocket wide, where nothing good seemed to ever happen.

So we took the passes over the middle and did some damage there. Dungey was able to hurt them on broken plays, scrambling in space, and had some success going around end after faking a run up the middle. I think this was why Ishmael was moved to the slot at times. We wanted and needed our best receiver to get more touches.

Over time, FSU started to tighten up coverage over the middle and played some man, and it caused us some troubles. We were able to throw over it a few times but ED, lacking a strong back leg to throw off, could not throw with zip on the ball long and lacked his usual good touch on passes more than 10 or 15 yards.

It looked to me as though the left side of the OL was usually responsible for breakdowns pass blocking. It seemed like ED was running for his life to the right sideline a lot. We don't give props to OL much but I wanted to spend a little time to praise McGloster for his much improved play this year. He is probably the most improved played on the team, most have worked really hard to get to where he is now, and from all accounts he is the leader of this young OL. Always like seeing a senior who hasn't done a lot step up and become an important part of the team. Too bad he won't be coming back next season.

Dungey is fun to watch. I hate to see him hurt again but maybe this game will show the people that think Mahoney is better than Eric just how clueless they are. Eric made a ton of bad mistakes out there but a lot of amazing plays too. My big worry is what price he will pay for playing this game with his ankle hurt that badly. I am not D1 football player but I have sprained an ankle badly and tried to play on it immediately afterwards. The adrenaline and competition help you fight through the pain and you can get through a game, but with me, whenever I did it, I ended up injuring other parts of my leg trying to protect or compensate for the injury. I always messed up my hamstring on the injured leg, and the calve and knee and even my groin muscles down that leg were affected and my recovery ended up taking weeks. I fear that Eric is not going to be 100% until well after the regular season ends. On the positive side, I was not ED and I did not have access to the state of the art equipment and techniques Eric will have access to, nor did I have a training staff to expertly wrap my ankle and provide other equipment to help protect the leg.

Thought Ishmael had one of his best games. Great to see him finishing his career finally realizing his full potential. Like so many on the team, the guy played his heart out and did everything he could to try and get a win.

Thought Philips had another solid game. He had a chance to catch that one ball in the corner by the goal line on the play where the FSU player threw it back into play when it was thrown out of bounds that was really big, But there were dozens of huge plays in this crazy game, along with a bunch of crazy calls by a really incompetent officiating crew. Most helped FSU but SU got a couple breaks too. I had beefs with Big East crews fairly often but I don't remember seeing so many missed calls as you see watching ACC games. It is almost as if the replay reviews are making the refs worse. The most disappointing thing to me though is how bad the replay reviews are. I am surprised by the call right about 50% of the time, as are the announcers that have the stones to say what they see when the replays are shown. Reviewing officials are still a relatively new thing. I hope they get better at it. Soon.

Hof has had an interesting season. Started off terrific. Looked like an AA candidate. Got into a bad slump for the middle part of the season, when he struggled to kick the ball 35 yards. And now delivers a fine game. Was he hurt? There was a point where Cole was close to be replaced as the placekicker and Hof had a few chances to double up as the PK. I wonder if that screwed him up?

Riley got criticized for playing too far back yesterday, which I think was legitimate. He has done that a lot this year and it has really hurt our field position. It really stood out in a home game where the opponent had a kicker who could only kick a low line drive about 30 yards. Riley never adjusted, always let it bounce and the bum ended up averaging around 50 yards a punt. I think it was against Middle Tennessee State. Anyway, I was glad to see him catch a couple balls and try to return them. When he tries, he usually gets a good result. He is pretty nimble. More catches, less fair catches, and please, stop making fair catches inside the ten (always let those go).

Franklin and Bennett looked slow yesterday. They aren't and this is all about the general team speed of FSU. All it took was a couple plays where we weren't lined up correctly or someone took a bad line and BOOM, their tailback was gone. We miss Cordy most against teams like UM and FSU, where his 4.4 speed gives him a chance to make tackles guys like Williams and Foster just can't make.

It was nice to get Bradshaw back. He is our best cover guy and you need that against FSU, even if their QB can't throw the ball very well. Thought Frederick was solid too. Williams got burned repeatedly by overplaying the run and letting a WR get past him. With his speed, that can't happen. This is why he was out third option at FS. That said, he has made some nice tackles and is generally very good against the run. But man, it would be great to have a FS that consistently was in position on passing plays and actually broke some plays up. Martin did it a couple of times before he got hurt. The good news is that we have some kids red shirting that are much better equipped physically to get the job done here.

Valdez seems to play more and more each game. He is just a little stronger and tougher than Thomas though Thomas has had a nice senior season too.

Good to see Shy, who busts his butt on every special teams play, get the fumble recovery that nearly turned the game around. No surprise he was there; I think he has been our best cover guy on special teams. A lot of times these kinds of guys parlay their success on special teams into serious PT on 'regular' teams. Could Shy follow in their footsteps?

Has there ever been a play that consistently yielded as poor results as the shovel pass to the TE just in front of the center? Not sure it has gained even a yard all season long. The only possible contender: the bubble screen play installed by Rob Spence during his brief stint as SU OC. He is now the OC at Morgan State and that isn't just random happenstance.

Reason #34 why I think the ACC network games are the worst productions ever: How can Dungey get hurt and get walked into the locker room, limping badly, and the broadcasters doing the game, as well as everyone else involved with the telecast do not notice and are surprised when they see the backup QB in the game?

Wake Forest is going to be a war. These elimination or near elimination games for bowls always are. I hope if you are on the fence about coming to the Dome and supporting this team, you decide to do it. They are a lot like the people of CNY. Tough, hard working, blue collar. They will give it their all and not give up. Come to the Dome and support them. They are worth rooting for in person.

The next three weeks don’t fare well for CUSE. They played the worst team of the four yesterday and couldn’t get it done. Wake is physical and have shown the ability to score points. We havent’ scored more than 27 points in weeks. 27 will not win any of the final three games.

The next three weeks don’t fare well for CUSE. They played the worst team of the four yesterday and couldn’t get it done. Wake is physical and have shown the ability to score points. We havent’ scored more than 27 points in weeks. 27 will not win any of the final three games.
Wake IMO is the hardest matchup remaining by far. They have a very talented d line as well.

Idk I'm getting a bad feeling this is going to be 5-7 finish guys...

Glad to see your take again, Tom. Always look forward to these as your attention to detail is second to none. 2 beefs:

1- You started out teasing that you’d have some insight into the past few games you didn’t analyze. Tease.

2- You can’t imply that your horrible golf swing is a product of rolling your ankle in the bunker and messing up all your other body parts and compare that to Eric.

Wake IMO is the hardest matchup remaining by far. They have a very talented d line as well.

I am expecting to finish at 4-8, so even 1 more win would be icing on the cake for me. We are much better this year but just not there yet. Hoping I am wrong.

It was the worst team but they were at home. That is abjure difference. Especially when you have a young team like ours. Or biggest problem is consistency. This is something that usually is not as big of an issue at home

fsu has the most talent(besides qb) of the teams we will play the last 4, their record is just the worst

Nice write up Tom.

There was a play during the game when Phillips caught the ball over the middle and just fell. No one touched him and not only that, he could have broke it for long and that to me is something that has to change with this offense. Not ragging on Phillips but that catch should have been for a lot of yards and to me what this offense needs, a catch and break for the end zone. There have been a lot of nice catches for 5/6/7 yard gains and some nice long plays but to have this offense SCORE a TD...this play needs to be made every so often. If it doesn't happen there will be no bowl game in 2017. Offensive players HAVE to break a tackle and score or burst through a seam and score because this red zone offense is poor and the defense can not get turnovers and the special teams can't score TD's or block a kick. Heck, the two times SU had the ball on a turnover inside the 5 (MTSU and FSU) they have 3 points. This is what I've seen from this FSU and the other 8, break tackles win games.

SU "outsnapped" FSU by a large margin and who won the game, the one who bad the long plays. SU makes these along with what they have been doing and it's all sunshine and lollypops from here.

I sent Shy a text letting him know all the nice things you guys have said about that play and his hard work. Hoping next year they find away to use his speed more. Maybe with Paris Zaire Valdez and jt heading out he will get the shot.

2015: We averaged 320 yards per game and scored 27 points a game

2016: We averaged 441 yards a game and 26 points a game.

2017: We are averaging 456 yards a game and 29 points a game.

Where's the beef?

I sent Shy a text letting him know all the nice things you guys have said about that play and his hard work. Hoping next year they find away to use his speed more. Maybe with Paris Zaire Valdez and jt heading out he will get the shot.
Playing time is wide open for linebacker next season. The lack of returning players with playing time is kind of alarming but looking at the long list of players returning, their size, strength and physical attributes, I think the 3 that win starting jobs will be pretty darn good.

Shy has the speed and strength. If he can get the reads down, he should be a starter.

Regarding the officiating...you know it's bad when some FSU fans a couple rows in front of us even agreed about a couple bad calls that went their way...they just looked back at us and agreed and shrugged their shoulders...

Wake lost at home to FSU.

2015: We averaged 320 yards per game and scored 27 points a game

2016: We averaged 441 yards a game and 26 points a game.

2017: We are averaging 456 yards a game and 29 points a game.

Where's the beef?

we got more touchdowns from defense, special teams, and overtimes

we got more touchdowns from defense, special teams, and overtimes

You've been saying that for two seasons. That may account for why scoring went down from Shafer's last year to Dino's first but it hardly accounts for the discrepancy between yards and points. In 2015 we were 118th in the country in yards and 77th in points. Last year we were 42nd in yards and 90th in pints. This year we are 28th in yards and 61st in points.

Here is SU with the five teams ranked above them in yard and the five teams ranked below, along with the points per game they are scoring:

Arkansas State 465 yards 40 points
Mississippi 462 yards 32 points
U of Miami 461 yards 31.5 points
New Mexico State 461 yards 31 points
Navy 457 yards 32.5 points
Syracuse 456 yards 29 points
UCLA 450 yards 34 points
North Carolina State 447 yards 33 points
Gerogia 446 yards 37 points
Wake Forest 445 yards 32 points
Penn State 444 yards 38 points

The other ten teams in the group are averaging 454 yards and 34 points per game.

You've been saying that for two seasons. That may account for why scoring went down from Shafer's last year to Dino's first but it hardly accounts for the discrepancy between yards and points. In 2015 we were 118th in the country in yards and 77th in points. Last year we were 42nd in yards and 90th in pints. This year we are 28th in yards and 61st in points.

Here is SU with the five teams ranked above them in yard and the five teams ranked below, along with the points per game they are scoring:

Arkansas State 465 yards 40 points
Mississippi 462 yards 32 points
U of Miami 461 yards 31.5 points
New Mexico State 461 yards 31 points
Navy 457 yards 32.5 points
Syracuse 456 yards 29 points
UCLA 450 yards 34 points
North Carolina State 447 yards 33 points
Gerogia 446 yards 37 points
Wake Forest 445 yards 32 points
Penn State 444 yards 38 points

The other ten teams in the group are averaging 454 yards and 34 points per game.
I've been saying it for two seasons because so many people here have trouble grasping the obvious

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom