My Take | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Marek is going to find minutes. I think Hughes played well last night but come ACC time he will have his good nights and bad and Marek will get those minutes and at the 5 in spots. We will need facilitators and Marek is the best one we have on the team.
marek is a very key player 4 us and was key in last years run----he got his confidence and really came on. Tough player

marek is a very key player 4 us and was key in last years run----he got his confidence and really came on. Tough player

No doubt. He’s part of the rotation obviously. But, unless he made huge strides in the offseason, I don’t think we can afford to start him. We still will need some punch on offense to start games, IMO.

Yep. There will be games where his skill set will be exactly what we need. He scored 20 points against Wake Forest in the ACC Tournament and 17 against TCU in the NCAA Tournament. It might be a little premature to discount his offensive ability at this point, as he enters his sophomore year. I think I'll wait until I see him play with a point guard in the game. As far as who starts, I don't really care. Hughes is getting starter minutes anyway.

Yep. There will be games where his skill set will be exactly what we need. He scored 20 points against Wake Forest in the ACC Tournament and 17 against TCU in the NCAA Tournament. It might be a little premature to discount his offensive ability at this point, as he enters his sophomore year. I think I'll wait until I see him play with a point guard in the game. As far as who starts, I don't really care. Hughes is getting starter minutes anyway.

True. However, Dolezaj will actually be guarded this year.

Which opens up his passing game. That was the real key down the stretch last year. he was scoring so they had to guard him so he got the ball to open teammates, especially the big men.

I didn’t really see it that way. He has the ability to make quick decisions which is huge in an offense that ball stops. Maybe hockey assist stuff which is basic basketball. He had zero assists in the MSU and TCU games. One assist in the ACCT Wake game. I love Dolezaj but I just don’t think he is some huge answer to our offensive woes, lol. We weren’t some offensive force in the Tourney either. Scoring in the 50s in these brutal grinders. As Steve Lavin says, he’s a “WD-40 guy.” A good thing.

Last edited:
I didn’t really see it that way. He has the ability to make quick decisions which is huge in an offense that ball stops. Maybe hockey assist stuff which is basic basketball. He had zero assists in the MSU and TCU games. One assist in the ACCT Wake game. I love Dolezaj but I just don’t think he is some huge answer to our offensive woes, lol. We weren’t some offensive force in the Tourney either. Scoring in the 50s in these brutal grinders. As Steve Lavin says, he’s a “WD-40 guy.”
Are you discounting the "Sophomore Leap"? We've seen lots of guys do it in the past.

I think its worth pointing out that we only have 3 forwards to fill 80 minutes (possibly more if Dolezaj gets sime time at center). They are all going to play a lot every game and be key members of the team.

That said, Dolezaj will be better defensively than Huges every single game, and Hughes will only be better than Dolezaj offensively in most games. In games like the last one where Hughes is hot from outside and scores 19 points, obviously he will get the bulk of the minutes. But in some games Hughes will be cold, and in other games Dolezaj will be hot. In both those types of games Dolezaj will play a lot more because he also brings more defense to the table.

My guess is they play a similar number of minutes in total this year, but not because they each play 25 minutes per game. Instead they will alternate who plays most based on who has the hot hand and what skills we need to beat our opponent.

I think its worth pointing out that we only have 3 forwards to fill 80 minutes (possibly more if Dolezaj gets sime time at center). They are all going to play a lot every game and be key members of the team.

That said, Dolezaj will be better defensively than Huges every single game, and Hughes will only be better than Dolezaj offensively in most games. In games like the last one where Hughes is hot from outside and scores 19 points, obviously he will get the bulk of the minutes. But in some games Hughes will be cold, and in other games Dolezaj will be hot. In both those types of games Dolezaj will play a lot more because he also brings more defense to the table.

My guess is they play a similar number of minutes in total this year, but not because they each play 25 minutes per game. Instead they will alternate who plays most based on who has the hot hand and what skills we need to beat our opponent.

Lots of great points General (as always).

One the things I am most looking forward to is how JB uses, mixes and matches all the pieces he has this year. He is going to be able to blend offense with defensive skill sets.

I'm a big fan of using the 2-2-1 to dictate tempo full and 3/4 court. If JB also uses the traditional 1-2-1-1, especially when they play it hot in front (face guarding behind the guy on the ball to deny the entry pass), he will have go 8-9-10 deep to do it effectively all year.

I have to see how well Hughes does in those defensive sets (including the 2-3). He will likely be in the top 3 in scoring on the team. My sense is Hughes will be on the floor 30+ mins.

Flexibility is key. OB will likely play more than either of the other two. But he could also get cold or MD might move over the 5, giving Hughes and MD a chance to play together. I see similar options in the guard rotation, as Buddy seems more ready than expected (his defense remains a Q). Assuming Howard and Carey eat up most of the PG minutes, Buddy might get a look at the end of the half (or in the middle of the second half) to rest TB. Hughes could fill that role too.

Lots of great points General (as always)...

I'm a big fan of using the 2-2-1 to dictate tempo full and 3/4 court. If JB also uses the traditional 1-2-1-1, especially when they play it hot in front (face guarding behind the guy on the ball to deny the entry pass), he will have go 8-9-10 deep to do it effectively all year.

The 2-2-1 press seems promising, especially in combination with the 2-3, to force bad shots at the end of the 30-second clock.

I wonder if there is any connection to Pitino's recent visit, since Pitino was said to be a big proponent of that defense.

ever since rob murphy, the syracuse identity has been built on defense. dolezaj's demonstrated ability to defend and rebound make him a fit for that identity; hughes' ability to defend vs real d1 talent will go a long way to determining his minutes and starter/reserve status.

Last edited:
Playing time might be determined on how much of a short leash JB has all but TB on. Last year eveybody was given more leeway than most years. With the supposed talent this year, that may not happen. If Hughes leaks out too much hurting rebounding, he'll be reminded forcefully that isn't allowed. Howard relaxes on d or makes a few lazy passes, he'll hear about it. Etc. Also JB may go with the 2 foul limit in the 1st half more than last year. No need now. If the starting 5 play exactly as JB wants he may not sub but is that really going to happen?

I like the little things that Marek brings to the team. This exhibition was a very small sample size but one thing that disappointed me was the fact that in a long off season he really didn't appear to work at all on his body to get stronger. Boeheim even made a sarcastic comment about it which says something. Also, has he improved the one thing that limited him last season, outside shooting? If he wants to be a stretch 4, he needs at least a mid-range jump shot. Maybe we will see that this season, time will tell.

Playing time might be determined on how much of a short leash JB has all but TB on. Last year eveybody was given more leeway than most years. With the supposed talent this year, that may not happen. If Hughes leaks out too much hurting rebounding, he'll be reminded forcefully that isn't allowed. Howard relaxes on d or makes a few lazy passes, he'll hear about it. Etc. Also JB may go with the 2 foul limit in the 1st half more than last year. No need now. If the starting 5 play exactly as JB wants he may not sub but is that really going to happen?

I'm really expecting to see Carey, Sidibe, Hughes/Dolezaj, and Boeheim coming into the game at the five-minute mark of both halves quite regularly, throughout most of the season, when things are generally going according to plan. I'm pretty sure we've seen this before, when JB had a deep bench.

It will be to rest four of the five starters after their all-out energetic effort to throttle opponents with intense defensive pressure. The four will join either Tyus, Oshae, or sometimes Frank, depending upon tactical considerations, fatigue, etc. From there, we will see any number of variations depending upon how the game is going.

In the earlier non-conference portion of the schedule, we might even see Braswell in the second unit, but I really think the nine-man rotation is set in stone this year.

I didn’t really see it that way. He has the ability to make quick decisions which is huge in an offense that ball stops. Maybe hockey assist stuff which is basic basketball. He had zero assists in the MSU and TCU games. One assist in the ACCT Wake game. I love Dolezaj but I just don’t think he is some huge answer to our offensive woes, lol. We weren’t some offensive force in the Tourney either. Scoring in the 50s in these brutal grinders. As Steve Lavin says, he’s a “WD-40 guy.” A good thing.
He's also a very good rebounder and adept passer - his high BBIQ and his length make other guys better. You might be right that Hughes starts b/c of his offense. But what we lose offensively with MD we gain in the zone and on the glass. Either way, I'm happy to have this "problem".

I like the little things that Marek brings to the team. This exhibition was a very small sample size but one thing that disappointed me was the fact that in a long off season he really didn't appear to work at all on his body to get stronger. Boeheim even made a sarcastic comment about it which says something. Also, has he improved the one thing that limited him last season, outside shooting? If he wants to be a stretch 4, he needs at least a mid-range jump shot. Maybe we will see that this season, time will tell.

Syracuse's basketball shooting woes should be a thing of the past

Paragraph 11. When discussing SU's 3 pt shooting. "I think Oshae is much better, Marek is much better," Boeheim said.

So, apparently, MD has been working on something, if not his strength. These kids are long & rangy. It can take time to reform a body. He may not have had access to the fitness & food necessary to make a defined body.

"... Marek is much better," Boeheim said.
PJ-BB148_SP_FEA_E_20110606180757.jpg

Syracuse's basketball shooting woes should be a thing of the past

Paragraph 11. When discussing SU's 3 pt shooting. "I think Oshae is much better, Marek is much better," Boeheim said.

So, apparently, MD has been working on something, if not his strength. These kids are long & rangy. It can take time to reform a body. He may not have had access to the fitness & food necessary to make a defined body.

He’s young. Might not happen yet, but maybe in the next two years. Not everybody is really capable of putting on muscle mass the same way some are.

Not sure he really has the frame to put on a lot of mass.

Regardless, he can get stronger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom