My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I fully expect we will see more games like this one the rest of the season.
This is an exceedingly young team. Might be the worst rebounding Syracuse team I have seen since Roy’s Runts. There is little in the way of an inside game.

We have no good shot blocker. Our best defensive teams usually have two. Our guards are probably not capable of pressuring the ball, and they don’t have th quickness and length of best defensive teams normally have.

We do have shooting, though you wouldn’t know it watching last night. And we have some really good passers.

When we are on, we are capable of beating almost anyone on the schedule. When we are off, we can lose to anyone.

IMHO, Bourama is our only solid rebounder. We have to find a way to get him 25+ minutes every game. He has to get smarter about avoiding fouls, because when he goes out, our rebounding becomes really bad. Marek or Jesse just can’t get rebounds and hold their own at center right now.

The biggest disappointment me last night was our defense, or lack thereof. Our half court defense was actually good. But it didn’t matter because we were so exceptionally poor rebounding their misses. But the real problem was all the baskets they got in transition, many of which should not have been transition baskets. We usually had guys back but they either didn’t know how to get in the way or chose not to. That almost never happens. It is not Syracuse basketball. It looked like the OSU players, especially their PG, would dribble past half court, waiting for someone to pick them up. Nope. They would get to the top of the court. No challenge. They would get into the paint. Still no one would step up, and you could see them just go all the way to the hoop and get a layup. It was bad enough to watch once but it happened possession after possession.

If this continues, newmexicuse might actually be right. The season might be lost. We don’t have to be an elite defensive team to have a winning record and contend for the NCAA tournament, but we need to be mediocre.

I don’t think OSU is a very good team. They have lots of issues and I bet them end up around .500. But we made things way too easy for them. That was what disappointed me. I didn’t see the effort or urgency I am used to seeing from this program. Penn State is better than OSU and is going to be a big challenge for this team. I think the response to this debacle will tell us a lot about them. If they want to contend for an NCAA bid, they have to start playing better.

5 returning starters > 1 returning starter, especially early in the season.

We are going to be a live by the three; die by the three team this year. Last night we died.

I think Oklahoma State is a tournament team. Likekele is a future pro and Anei is a quality big.

Of course a guy who was 1 for 8 from three goes off against us last night. Add him to the list.

Next time I see Mike Stephens on the floor I should just find something else to do. Makes me miss Jim Burr and Tim Higgins. (OK, that's too much)

HATE the PSU matchup, but I think we'll learn something about this team. It will be interesting to see how we attack a big, but slow front line.

Loved the way Girard bounced back a bit from an abysmal start. I was admittedly not all in when we offered, but the kid is a flat out winner and will have a great career.

Hey, at least it wasn't UConn!

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

This is an exceedingly young team. Might be the worst rebounding Syracuse team I have seen since Roy’s Runts. There is little in the way of an inside game.

We have no good shot blocker. Our best defensive teams usually have two. Our guards are probably not capable of pressuring the ball, and they don’t have th quickness and length of best defensive teams normally have.

We do have shooting, though you wouldn’t know it watching last night. And we have some really good passers.

When we are on, we are capable of beating almost anyone on the schedule. When we are off, we can lose to anyone.

IMHO, Bourama is our only solid rebounder. We have to find a way to get him 25+ minutes every game. He has to get smarter about avoiding fouls, because when he goes out, our rebounding becomes really bad. Marek or Jesse just can’t get rebounds and hold their own at center right now.

The biggest disappointment me last night was our defense, or lack thereof. Our half court defense was actually good. But it didn’t matter because we were so exceptionally poor rebounding their misses. But the real problem was all the baskets they got in transition, many of which should not have been transition baskets. We usually had guys back but they either didn’t know how to get in the way or chose not to. That almost never happens. It is not Syracuse basketball. It looked like the OSU players, especially their PG, would dribble past half court, waiting for someone to pick them up. Nope. They would get to the top of the court. No challenge. They would get into the paint. Still no one would step up, and you could see them just go all the way to the hoop and get a layup. It was bad enough to watch once but it happened possession after possession.

If this continues, newmexicuse might actually be right. The season might be lost. We don’t have to be an elite defensive team to have a winning record and contend for the NCAA tournament, but we need to be mediocre.

I don’t think OSU is a very good team. They have lots of issues and I bet them end up around .500. But we made things way too easy for them. That was what disappointed me. I didn’t see the effort or urgency I am used to seeing from this program. Penn State is better than OSU and is going to be a big challenge for this team. I think the response to this debacle will tell us a lot about them. If they want to contend for an NCAA bid, they have to start playing better.
Mike Lee,Rudy,Dooms,Sease and Wadach would have outrebounded that team easily .You've got a Good memory Tom (It's just a little short) They were tenacious every one of them...

When we are on, we are capable of beating almost anyone on the schedule. When we are off, we can lose to anyone. This was, IMO, the biggest problem last night.
We can't be on/off or the season is gone - we have to be consistently on to have any chance at a successful season.

How much longer do I have to see a forward playing a center of a zone?!
I said it early on during the Italy tour that if the plan was for Marek to spend a lot of time at the 5, then we were in for a bad year.
The idea that he’s our first viable option after Sidibe, & we really have no one else because Edwards isn’t ready yet, is frightening for the season. It’s a MAJOR indictment against this staff’s recruiting philosophy and abilities.

Marek is never going to improve until he commits to working on his game and getting stronger during the off season...….jmo

Mike Lee,Rudy,Dooms,Sease and Wadach would have outrebounded that team easily .You've got a Good memory Tom (It's just a little short) They were tenacious every one of them...
They were but they were really short too. I remember what happened when we played teams with size. Like Maryland...

the game changed dramatically when OSU went to a 2-2-1 three quarter court press. I believe this was also the same time that Hughes went to the bench. Therefore, it is difficult to deduce which contributing factor changed the game so dramatically.

Regardless, I expect to see more pressure in the backcourt all season.

Regardless, I expect to see more pressure in the backcourt all season.
i remember joe and elijah bringing the ball up court against the cowboys. does JB trust buddy''s handle ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom