My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
The tailgate today was not well attended. A bad season and a really cold day do that. Props to Jeremy, Nell, Consig, Jocko, Kevin and everyone else who are on the crew. Great job.

Took a walk around the dome before the game. They have 5 of the triangle support thingees up now. Two in the northeast corner, two in the northwest corner and one in the middle of the north side of the building. It looks like they are going to put up one in the middle of the east and wide sides, two more in the southeast and southwest corners and one in the middle of the south wall. I think that adds up to 12 all told. Going to be interesting to see if they can get the crown truss finished by the end of January. It is going to take some serious work to make it happen.

I have been watching games for a long time and this one might have been the craziest one I have seen.

So many changes in momentum. So many turnovers. So many penalties. So many bad calls (by the refs). So many balls calls (by the OCs). Both teams were forced to play with backup QBs and in the end, the changes might have helped both offenses.

It was good to see Mikel Jones, in his first start at OLB (Armstrong was in civvies), do well. It was also good to see Juan Wallace do well filling in late after Lakeim Williams separated his shoulder. Williams incidentally had a big game and played a big role in shutting down a good WF rushing attack. That late game LB combo might well be a preview of our starting linebackers next season.

We have seen this game before. Way too many times for a program that seems to have lived in the 4-8 lane the past decade or two. Get a lead, look good. Wilt in the second half. Defense weakens, offense stops producing, lead evaporates, the bad guys take the lead and pull away for a win.

I believe in my heart that it would have happened again today if not for one play. And while the Trill steal and breakaway TD was a great play, that isn’t the one I am taking about. It was a play by captain Moe Neal, late in the game. The offense had stopped moving the ball. Lynch went into the fetal position again, struggled to even make play calls, and could seemingly only call his beloved run up the middle or maybe a shovel pass (his fav call in crucial situations despite going 0-9 with that play).

Anyway, we are late in the game. We have a 3rd and long. Lynch calls another run. Wake knew it was coming and had the whole defense waiting for him. Moe saw the situation. Went way wide, got a little daylight, but it was clear he had no chance that way. Violent reverse, wheels spinning, smoke rides up off his heels. Runs wide the other way. Against all odds, he finds a lane, a couple of SU players make good blocks and Moe runs 50 yards to get the 10 yards needed for a first down.

We end up scoring instead of punting. Game changer. Moe put the team on his back, much as he has done every game late in the season, and led us to victory. So happy for him. So happy for the seniors.

What else? Props to Andre Cisco, who was a man out there today, making monster hits all over the field, really helping out the run defense when we needed him the most. Glad to see the DC go to man coverage late, which took away those quick slants over the middle that Hartman was living off for so long. Wish he had the guts to blitz more. Wish he at least rushed 4 some of the time late in the game when all we needed was a stop to win the game. We had no pressure when we needed it most.
Though it should be noted that I saw some serious holding going on that the refs could only see when the OL wore dark blue shirts. That dirty #36 made one of the most blatant holds ever in a key situation on a play where Hartman faked it to him and ran wide. #36 just bear hugged a LB to spring Hartman. Unbelievable, but so was the face mask call on Hartman, the late hit on a Clayton slide that was not called early, the late hit on a WF slide that was called, the late hit on Nykeim where the ref that blew the call tried to intimidate Nykeim and then called a penalty on him.

The biggest reason the refs are on the field is to protect the players from themselves. They are given rules to enforce and player safety has to be their top priority. Especially in this day and age, when we know how susceptible players are to brain injuries. When you fail to make the calls you are put there to make, you encourage players to ignore the rules and encourage an open season on head hunting. Forget that most of the calls hurt Syracuse. It doesn’t matter. Do your job. Enforce the rules. Do the job you are paid to do. Protect the players. Prevent abuse. The crew today was an a embarrassment to the conference and put the long term health of all the players at risk. Just shameful. Refs need to get suspended. The conference offices need to take heed and stop this crap. Don’t let incompetent refs ruin the game we all love. Please.

Props to WF for coming back and making it a good game. I give them credit for bringing way more fans than they have in the past. I think they had 300 or maybe 400. Not bad for a tiny school with no fan base.

Other stuff: the SUMB has new arrangements for the fight song with some slick embellishments towards the end. Very cool. The marching this year stepped up big time. Much more ambitious programs. And now, they almost run off the field. I think this is done to buy more time for their performance. 13 tubas for the finale. One sang in the chorus. Good to see the band getting bigger and better. The band director is making a difference.

In the final analysis, this game was meaningless. But in terms of perception, it had great meaning. The wins over Duke and Wake mean we will not be a unanimous pick for last in the Atlantic next season. The seniors can go out with the heads held high. And a bunch of bandwagon season ticket holders that have been looking for a reason to renew just got one. For all this, I am grateful and tonight, I am a happy dude!

Wae Damn Otto! Wait until next year!

i'd like to see a support approx 2 ft wide placed directly at the fifty yard line extending to the roofline. what a unique venue that would make the dome to play at. kinda like playing street ball around the car parked curbside or the elm tree in left field . or that annoying jut out in the wall where you have to use the short pool cue.

There were plenty of plays that the tackles for wake would jump before the snap and never had it called. Clawson was jawing at the refs all game. They rarely showed Dino on the broadcast. Was he at least chirping at the line judge who was hovering over Nykeim and didn't call the late hit by Carney (#36)?

What a fine write up, Tom! Your description of Moe’s run was perfect. My mouth was agape during it; bees could have built a hive.

But my jaw dropped all the way to the floor during the last play of the game because I didn’t see what happened. I just saw that suddenly one of our guys was sprinting like hell for our end zone, except it wasn’t our end zone because we were in OT. Right? Wrong!! He’s running and I’m screaming because then I see that the ball had materialized in his hand! That run lasted at least one dog year as far as I can tell. Bells are going off; fireworks are exploding in my cerebral cortex which could not process that we were winning the game that - that we had already lost!

Apparently he could have taken a knee. But it felt like all our hopes for future were riding on that run, that Trill was leaving a trail dissolving the past and pointing to a brighter future. And that’s the way I will think about this for the next 9 months.

There were plenty of plays that the tackles for wake would jump before the snap and never had it called. Clawson was jawing at the refs all game. They rarely showed Dino on the broadcast. Was he at least chirping at the line judge who was hovering over Nykeim and didn't call the late hit by Carney (#36)?
Those tackles of theirs were either lightning quick or guilty of dancing before the music started!

The tailgate today was not well attended. A bad season and a really cold day do that. Props to Jeremy, Nell, Consig, Jocko, Kevin and everyone else who are on the crew. Great job.

Took a walk around the dome before the game. They have 5 of the triangle support thingees up now. Two in the northeast corner, two in the northwest corner and one in the middle of the north side of the building. It looks like they are going to put up one in the middle of the east and wide sides, two more in the southeast and southwest corners and one in the middle of the south wall. I think that adds up to 12 all told. Going to be interesting to see if they can get the crown truss finished by the end of January. It is going to take some serious work to make it happen.

I have been watching games for a long time and this one might have been the craziest one I have seen.

So many changes in momentum. So many turnovers. So many penalties. So many bad calls (by the refs). So many balls calls (by the OCs). Both teams were forced to play with backup QBs and in the end, the changes might have helped both offenses.

It was good to see Mikel Jones, in his first start at OLB (Armstrong was in civvies), do well. It was also good to see Juan Wallace do well filling in late after Lakeim Williams separated his shoulder. Williams incidentally had a big game and played a big role in shutting down a good WF rushing attack. That late game LB combo might well be a preview of our starting linebackers next season.

We have seen this game before. Way too many times for a program that seems to have lived in the 4-8 lane the past decade or two. Get a lead, look good. Wilt in the second half. Defense weakens, offense stops producing, lead evaporates, the bad guys take the lead and pull away for a win.

I believe in my heart that it would have happened again today if not for one play. And while the Trill steal and breakaway TD was a great play, that isn’t the one I am taking about. It was a play by captain Moe Neal, late in the game. The offense had stopped moving the ball. Lynch went into the fetal position again, struggled to even make play calls, and could seemingly only call his beloved run up the middle or maybe a shovel pass (his fav call in crucial situations despite going 0-9 with that play).

Anyway, we are late in the game. We have a 3rd and long. Lynch calls another run. Wake knew it was coming and had the whole defense waiting for him. Moe saw the situation. Went way wide, got a little daylight, but it was clear he had no chance that way. Violent reverse, wheels spinning, smoke rides up off his heels. Runs wide the other way. Against all odds, he finds a lane, a couple of SU players make good blocks and Moe runs 50 yards to get the 10 yards needed for a first down.

We end up scoring instead of punting. Game changer. Moe put the team on his back, much as he has done every game late in the season, and led us to victory. So happy for him. So happy for the seniors.

What else? Props to Andre Cisco, who was a man out there today, making monster hits all over the field, really helping out the run defense when we needed him the most. Glad to see the DC go to man coverage late, which took away those quick slants over the middle that Hartman was living off for so long. Wish he had the guts to blitz more. Wish he at least rushed 4 some of the time late in the game when all we needed was a stop to win the game. We had no pressure when we needed it most.
Though it should be noted that I saw some serious holding going on that the refs could only see when the OL wore dark blue shirts. That dirty #36 made one of the most blatant holds ever in a key situation on a play where Hartman faked it to him and ran wide. #36 just bear hugged a LB to spring Hartman. Unbelievable, but so was the face mask call on Hartman, the late hit on a Clayton slide that was not called early, the late hit on a WF slide that was called, the late hit on Nykeim where the ref that blew the call tried to intimidate Nykeim and then called a penalty on him.

The biggest reason the refs are on the field is to protect the players from themselves. They are given rules to enforce and player safety has to be their top priority. Especially in this day and age, when we know how susceptible players are to brain injuries. When you fail to make the calls you are put there to make, you encourage players to ignore the rules and encourage an open season on head hunting. Forget that most of the calls hurt Syracuse. It doesn’t matter. Do your job. Enforce the rules. Do the job you are paid to do. Protect the players. Prevent abuse. The crew today was an a embarrassment to the conference and put the long term health of all the players at risk. Just shameful. Refs need to get suspended. The conference offices need to take heed and stop this crap. Don’t let incompetent refs ruin the game we all love. Please.

Props to WF for coming back and making it a good game. I give them credit for bringing way more fans than they have in the past. I think they had 300 or maybe 400. Not bad for a tiny school with no fan base.

Other stuff: the SUMB has new arrangements for the fight song with some slick embellishments towards the end. Very cool. The marching this year stepped up big time. Much more ambitious programs. And now, they almost run off the field. I think this is done to buy more time for their performance. 13 tubas for the finale. One sang in the chorus. Good to see the band getting bigger and better. The band director is making a difference.

In the final analysis, this game was meaningless. But in terms of perception, it had great meaning. The wins over Duke and Wake mean we will not be a unanimous pick for last in the Atlantic next season. The seniors can go out with the heads held high. And a bunch of bandwagon season ticket holders that have been looking for a reason to renew just got one. For all this, I am grateful and tonight, I am a happy dude!

Moe's run was on a pass and that was the drive Howard later fumbled on. But the emotional impact of the run was still very significant.

Last edited:
Not meaningless to me, I had us +6 with the over (at 68) by the way thanks for the non scoop that TD wasn’t playing

some how I won the parlay which helped me on Alabama laying an egg

I respect this team for battling and finishing with a 5-7 record. Thank you once again for a detailed report and good read.

I have posted here more than once, somewhat inaccurately, that it took Coach Mac 5 years to build his program at SU, but it wasn't until the 7th season that the program really took off with the 11-0 regular season. It was at that point that SU football was in a situation to sustain high level play year after year even after Mac left. Heck, Mac was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame for coaching, and I believe that award was based mostly on what he was able to do while coaching at SU. That's why I think any quality coach who comes to SU needs at least 5 years if not more.

Many people disagree with me as I thought and think that the previous regime deserved more time especially considering the unbelievable string of crippling injuries. They inherited this program when it transitioned into the ACC, and they went bowling the first season. The following 2 seasons were absolutely marred by the injuries. But reasonable minds do differ, and it matters not at all in the present.

So, I certainly support the current regime because I think SU is a football program, not unlike several other P5 programs, where it does take at least 5 years to really cook something up. Babers has shown his worth, and he may be able to pull this off. Sure, there may be some diamond in the ruff coaches out there coming up in the ranks who might have the chops to take the SU job and overcome all of the obstacles and achieve sustainable success faster or sooner, but I wouldn't hold my breath. What is far more likely with any staff working up on the hill is that we will experience yearly ups and downs during the head coach's first 5 years or more, which is what we have seen with each regime going back to FHCDM (only 4 years for him because he left to be a head coach in the NFL with only a .500 record at SU).

As a football fan one of the more frustrating things for me to see watching any game is the number obvious of holding calls that go either unseen or uncalled. Especially when those same refs during the same game flag holding in situations that are at best debatable. While I think the officiating could be better and ought to be better in each of the P5 conferences, it really does seem like the officiating in the PAC 12 and the ACC absolutely needs immediate upgrades in quality of service. Any game I watch with crews from either conference, doesn't matter who is playing- could be a bowl game, and before long it seems like the officials are overwhelmed in one way or another.

While those two conferences stand out to me in terms of needing improvement, the officiating in each of the P5 conferences could and should be better than what it has show itself to be. I would say that the officiating in the SEC may be the best among the P5 conferences, but those officials make mistakes too and sometimes those mistakes are very costly. It will never be perfect, but it could be a lot better across the P5 and beyond.

Officials need to have many traits to be successful and it is a very challenging job, but one of the most important traits has to be the ability to regulate bias in all its forms at a high level. If that is missing, and there is training available to strengthen that skill, then the official needs to show improvement during the review process or face potential demotion just like any other job when crucial skills are lacking and there is no sign of improvement over time.

Looking forward to a new and improved Dome experience all around. And I am also glad that expectations heading into the 2020 football season will be somewhat tempered. Go Cuse!!

Interesting that you are so high on Cisco's tackling

What happened on the illegal formation call on the SU punt? I saw Hof... the three man wall.., one WR split wide... and one other just off the line. But he didn’t look to be in the backfield, just barely behind the LOS. Was that all it was? He needed to be one foot more forward? Seemed incredibly trivial.

Interesting that you are so high on Cisco's tackling
Yeah. When he did take a good angle, there were a number of times guys just bounced off of him because he didn't even attempt to wrap up.

Yeah. When he did take a good angle, there were a number of times guys just bounced off of him because he didn't even attempt to wrap up.
Worse yet were the not one but two Td's he let up because he didn't want to make a tackle that would've required him to lay out his body in the effort, both would've prevented a TD. Saw it during the game and just confirmed on a rewatch. Very weak

Worse yet were the not one but two Td's he let up because he didn't want to make a tackle that would've required him to lay out his body in the effort, both would've prevented a TD. Saw it during the game and just confirmed on a rewatch. Very weak
As I was reading the article talking about his dream to play in the NFL and implying he may leave after next year, those were the types of things that came to mind for me. Would we have ever seen Donovan Darius or Tebucky Jones with those types of plays? I know they didn't always wrap up either, but they did a much better job of it in run support, and when they didn't, guys went to the turf, they didn't just bounce off of them.

He made a number of crucial tackles to prevent first downs from his free safety position. Got an interception. Forced a fumble. Had 9 tackles overall.

He certainly wasn't perfect but he made a lot of big plays. At least in my opinion.

this is overstating it - on the one TD, no one was going to catch the guy. He was right to pull up.

without him, we lose this game

The post season "feeling" of this team is similar to the basketball teams that muddled through the regular season, snuck into the NCAAs and won a couple games.
If somehow we won a 6th game this year...I have no doubt we win the bowl game. I heard the Military Bowl was interested. Oh well...this 5th win gives us some hope and maybe saves 30-50% of the new STH'ers.

Let's keep good thoughts going forward and keep those construction workers at the Dome safe and focused to completing this tough task at hand.

He made a number of crucial tackles to prevent first downs from his free safety position. Got an interception. Forced a fumble. Had 9 tackles overall.

He certainly wasn't perfect but he made a lot of big plays. At least in my opinion.
He certainly makes some big plays, he made some that changed the game. I don't think he is a consistent tackler. He can get better at that, but he has to want to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom