My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

JB2 had a bad game last night. He really is trying to force feed minutes to the bench, but every time he brought them all in the game together the lead evaporated. He took Buddy and Jimmy out way too early.
Sort of an odd take when almost everyone says JB should be able to find at least 5 minutes a half (if not more) for guys 6 - 8 to get them playing time/experience. Perhaps its all together that is a problem but then if you fo it separately then there is only 5 minutes a half the starting 5 are on the court at the same time. Conspiracy theory? JB is trying to prove his point that those 3 aren't ready for prime time.

No malice intended.

Sort of an odd take when almost everyone says JB should be able to find at least 5 minutes a half (if not more) for guys 6 - 8 to get them playing time/experience. Perhaps its all together that is a problem but then if you fo it separately then there is only 5 minutes a half the starting 5 are on the court at the same time. Conspiracy theory? JB is trying to prove his point that those 3 aren't ready for prime time.

No malice intended.
That's the coach's dilemma - trying to get minutes for bench players while trying to win the game. I thought JB did a good job of getting extended time in each half for Benny Williams and Symir Torrence after our lead had gotten up near 20 points. Our lead over Cornell shrank when they were in, but not by a huge amount, and we still won by 12.

Yeah, I don't like the hockey line substitution because (like others have said), it's putting three guys in who don't score much. Our offense essentially takes a kick to the nuts. The other reason I don't like it is doesn't allow someone like Benny to play with the starters as much, and he needs as much help getting going as anyone on the team.
yeah but the starters dont pass him the ball. the flow of the offense is as big a reason as any that he doesnt do much with them. swider and jesse arent getting enough touches either, imo.

as soon as buddy or jimmy get it anywhere near the hoop they are shooting

probably better for benny to be in with the "second unit"

yeah but the starters dont pass him the ball. the flow of the offense is as big a reason as any that he doesnt do much with them. swider and jesse arent getting enough touches either, imo.

That's an interesting take, and you might be right because the Boeheim brothers are definitely gorilla glue with the ball (unless they see a basket).

LOL

If I saw practices perhaps the subs play together in scrimmages? I would think that practices would have them play against their 1st team counterparts so 1st team forms chemistry with the other 1st team players and 2nd with 2nd. I would imagine they switch it up occasionally mixing 1st and 2nd teams but for competitive and evaluative reasons the coaches probably play 1st team players with 1st team more often but know that foul trouble, injury, fatigue, poor play etc could change that lineup.

If I saw practices perhaps the subs play together in scrimmages? I would think that practices would have them play against their 1st team counterparts so 1st team forms chemistry with the other 1st team players and 2nd with 2nd. I would imagine they switch it up occasionally mixing 1st and 2nd teams but for competitive and evaluative reasons the coaches probably play 1st team players with 1st team more often but know that foul trouble, injury, fatigue, poor play etc could change that lineup.
Huh?

:)

That's an interesting take, and you might be right because the Boeheim brothers are definitely gorilla glue with the ball (unless they see a basket).
jesse tried to dribble through the whole cornell team a few times because he finally got the ball and put up some awkward misses. JB mentioned the team isnt doing a good job of getting jesse the ball and i agree.

i feel like cole has been pressing a lot too. maybe partially bc of limited touches. best game vs cornell...hopefully that continues. he couldnt miss and only got 12 shots in the game...shoulda had 20 ...he was on fire all game. and no one on cornell could guard him.

a real PG would help a lot, i think.

buddy and jimmy played great offensively vs cornell...but the flow of the offense and addiction to iso rarely seems to lead to an optimal shot distribution amongst the squad this year imo

at the end of the day with 4 or 5 double digit scorers its always gonna be tough to balance out the shots. only so many to go around and benny is pretty far down the list of options on o at this point. it is better to have as many scorers as possible but balancing it all can be problematic.

its a fine line between taking whats there and forcing it but when a player is hot- like cole was...team needs to keep feeding him.

Really short? Haha good write up. Gonna disagree on Benny. He was much better into the flow of the game in his minutes than he has been all year. Much better on D and got some good boards and loose balls. Made some nice defensive plays too. To me the stinker by JG3 and Symir together was our biggest issue. Both lacked in hustling for rebounds, closeouts and had periods of being in a mental fog. We may have been better letting Paddy play the way they were going at times. Chalking it up to game two after CoVid break which has been bad for many teams since last year and the fact Joe was due to have a bad one. Kid has been a surprise so far this year.

One another note is that JB3 needs to pass it more. He is an effective scorer but when he does pass its often higher risk and too late. He had at least one dime to Jesse but more opportunities are there.
The issue is that our Guards are weak. Joes a short natural off guard trying to play point. Symir is actually better than Joe in all areas of playing pg but he shoots worse than the kid in pulp fiction.
Personally id keep playing Symir and make him shoot 100 or more FTs a day.
Toms point on Jbs sub pattern is spot on.
Wtheck is jim doing? Sub but not all 3 at once. Its strange and of course now that jbs been questioned about it he will most likely keep subbing 3 at a time until he retires.
Lets hope the guys pull it together. The team is better than their playing. I liked them alot earlier but im afraid our weaknesses at point guard is going to haunt us all season.

jesse tried to dribble through the whole cornell team a few times because he finally got the ball and put up some awkward misses. JB mentioned the team isnt doing a good job of getting jesse the ball and i agree.

i feel like cole has been pressing a lot too. maybe partially bc of limited touches. best game vs cornell...hopefully that continues. he couldnt miss and only got 12 shots in the game...shoulda had 20 ...he was on fire all game. and no one on cornell could guard him.

buddy and jimmy played great offensively vs cornell...but the flow of the offense and addiction to iso rarely seems to lead to an optimal shot distribution amongst the squad this year imo

at the end of the day with 4 or 5 double digit scorers its always gonna be tough to balance out the shots. only so many to go around and benny is pretty far down the list of options on o at this point. it is better to have as many scorers as possible but balancing it all can be problematic.

its a fine line between taking whats there and forcing it but when a player is hot- like cole was...team needs to keep feeding him.
You quoted my post. Is there a point?

Cole gets plenty of shots. Jimmy gets 1 shot more per game. Whoopi. And Jimmy has shot better than Cole from 2 and 3. As for buddy, he’s finally coming around but he’s gonna get the most shots regardless as he should. If we’re gonna be good he has to be good.

The issue is that our Guards are weak. Joes a short natural off guard trying to play point. Symir is actually better than Joe in all areas of playing pg but he shoots worse than the kid in pulp fiction.
Personally id keep playing Symir and make him shoot 100 or more FTs a day.
Toms point on Jbs sub pattern is spot on.
Wtheck is jim doing? Sub but not all 3 at once. Its strange and of course now that jbs been questioned about it he will most likely keep subbing 3 at a time until he retires.
Lets hope the guys pull it together. The team is better than their playing. I liked them alot earlier but im afraid our weaknesses at point guard is going to haunt us all season.

That PG has been the second best all around player on the year. The data backs up that statement.

That PG has been the second best all around player on the year. The data backs up that statement.
I disagree.
According to this post by SWC75, JGIII has the second highest net points-per-40 minutes score on the team (+16.3), behind JE's +21.5.

Overall, for the 12-game season to date, he has the third highest net points (163), behind JE (176) and BB (also 176). He was #1 in that category prior to his bad game against Cornell, according to this post.

I like JE, and think he has great potential, but the fact is that he's fouled out of 5 games and had 4 fouls in 2 other games, limiting his availability in crunch time in 50% of our games. OTOH, JGIII has stayed out of foul trouble all year, and is the guy you hope the other team will foul when we're ahead at the end of a game.

So in my opinion, you could validly argue that the data does show that JGIII has been our second best all around player.

I disagree.

According to this post by SWC75, JGIII has the second highest net points-per-40 minutes score on the team (+16.3), behind JE's +21.5.

Overall, for the 12-game season to date, he has the third highest net points (163), behind JE (176) and BB (also 176). He was #1 in that category prior to his bad game against Cornell, according to this post.

I like JE, and think he has great potential, but the fact is that he's fouled out of 5 games and had 4 fouls in 2 other games, limiting his availability in crunch time in 50% of our games. OTOH, JGIII has stayed out of foul trouble all year, and is the guy you hope the other team will foul when we're ahead at the end of a game.

So in my opinion, you could validly argue that the data does show that JGIII has been our second best all around player.

I wasn’t even referencing SWCs net points. I was referencing advanced stats which shows him as the 2nd best behind Jesse.

This one really will be short.

Another strange game in a very strange season.

Syracuse looked terrific early in the first half. Cornell looked a bunch of guys recruited from the library to fill in for their basketball team.

Then something happened. Something bad for Syracuse and good for the Big Red. And a giant lead amost completely evaporated. Alarmingly quickly. I think they put on full court pressure and they played a role in the comeback. I know we committed turnovers about as quickly and about as creatively as I have ever seen a Syracuse team do,

Not a great game for JGIII, who made a bunch of bad decisions, but others also contributed. Part of it was JB playing 3 subs at the same time coming back to burn him again. Really surprised he is making this mistake over and over; he has always been good about learning from his mistakes and making adjustments. I guess he really wants to play the bench right now, even to the point where he is willing to put what could be easy wins into question. This might have been his last good chance to play the bench and in the end, it all worked out, so I won't harp on this a lot.

Jimmy made a couple more good passes inside. Yay! Was really worried when he got hurt late in the first half. He looked in great pain. I think he got an elbow to a bicep but the broadcast blew the replay and I didn't see it when it was finally shown during halftime. He looked fine in the second half. Thought he played a solid overall game. Good to see him outjump some opponents for that long ball near the basket and good to see him avoid making foolish turnovers or forcing some bad shots, as he has done at times this season. That little hook he does has been damned reliable. And he continues to rebound better with a beard.

Thought Buddy had another good game. Still not shooting great from outside but when it got close, it seemed like he took things over and played a big role in extending it again. I think he could have scored a lot more if need be. Good to see Cole playing well and I was encouraged to see him contributing to the win in a variety of ways: yes he shot well from the outside, but he also did well rebounding, got some steals and deflections on defense, drove with the ball better and made a couple of mid range pull up shots. If he can score in more ways than from outside the 3 point circle, he becomes a lot more valuable.

Don't know what was up with Joe. This game was out of character for him. It reminded me of some games he played shortly after he had COVID last season where he lacked focus and was a mess in general. Guessing he didn't feel well for whatever reason. Hope he is back to normal, which has been very solid this season, for that UVa game. That game is so important for setting up the conference part of the schedule.

Thought Jesse was a huge factor on defense. Only credited with 2 blocks but the Big Red was afraid to shoot in the paint and made very few baskets inside due to his presence. Thought he rebounded pretty well but still could have gotten a few more. Looked good at times on offense, flashing to the basket for dunks. But he missed more bunnies, which is becoming a habit, he shot poorly again from the FT line, which is a big change for him, not in a good way, and he had several plays where he got the ball down low in great position and just totally screwed up what should have been easy scores. Cornell players were flying at him late and it looked like he got spooked by this. I think he just needs to take his time when he gets it that close to the basket, keep it high and try to dunk as hard as he can. One of these games it is all going to come together for him and he is going to score 25. I really believe that.

Bad game for the bench. Symir had some bad turnovers. Benny is running around out of control over and over. Frank is a mess. Looks like all are trying too hard, desperately trying to do too much in the PT they get. All of them got some decent PT and none really took advantage. You can really see our interior defense weaken when Frank is in. I will say Symir seems to get better on defense with each game and I now consider him our best guard defender by a good margin. It also looks like Benny's defense is improving game by game. Pretty sure he is going to eventually be a terrific defender for us.

Let's talk more now about the Cornell basketball team. When I said it looked like they were recruited from a library early in the game, well, they all looked like people who hang out in libraries the whole game. Eventually, it became clear most of them could play and I appreciated and was fascinated by them attempting to play fast against us. It was completely against what has become standard for SU vs Cornell (at least since 1973). With all their pressing, manic ball movement, quick shooting and heavy reliance on 3 point shots, they looked like a male version of the SU women's basketball team. Has the Cornell HC been watching Vonn Read and the SU women?

I doubt it but there were some parallels for sure.

If you get ratings for appearance only, Cornell would surely be ranked the worst team SU plays all season. That includes exhibition games. What a motley crew of nerdy looking ectomorphs. Though there were a couple of chubby guys too, especially the one with the shaved head, head band and no game. I was trying to think of who he reminded me of but couldn't come up with anything. Then my wife said he reminded her of the Pillsbury Dough Guy. Bang. That was it.

doughboy.jpg

092321_MBKB_Features_034.JPG

Most of the Big Red players had ugly black sneakers on. The kind overweight security guards working the late shift wear. And black socks, which helped complete the geek look. Accessories are so important.

To complete the look, I do not believe a single player on the Cornell team had any muscle definition. They either had chubby arms or skinny nerd arms. And chubby or skinny legs.

Yet some of these geeks were surprisingly athletic, very aggressive on defense and very aggressive and tough on the boards (we were a lot taller and got out rebounded). And a few of them could really shoot from the outside. Especially Big Red on the Big Red, who had a red beard, high topped black shoes and a nice stroke from the corner.

I think the funky style of play for Cornell is going to lead to a lot of victories in the Ivy League. Will be interested to see how they do as the season progresses. If it progresses...
Another fantastic and extremely short write up!

You quoted my post. Is there a point?
lol...well just that the players generally dont really facilitate each other very well on offense...but I think they could...i think they are very capable passers generally...and if they did it would improve the teams performance.

i think theres a hunger for more shots there throughout the team and it leads to bad shots bc some of the players dont really touch the ball often, especially in scoring position.

lol...well just that the players generally dont really facilitate each other very well on offense...but I think they could...i think they are very capable passers generally...and if they did it would improve the teams performance.
Yes, I would agree. One example is that wrap around pass that Jimmy made to Jesse in the last game. It was a sweet pass that led to an easy score. I was so surprised to see it, because we don't do that enough (especially setting up Jesse).

JB is trying to prove his point that those 3 aren't ready for prime time.

No malice intended.
I believe that’s his intention

I’d understand this if it was hockey or football.

Probably the third. But being the third best player on a team that got ran out of the gym by the likes of Colgate and VCU is a great feat?

He’s be getting Paddy Casey minutes on most SU teams during JBs tenure.

The data? If you are considering advanced stats, let me know. Legit. Not trying to do a “gotcha”.

My thoughts on Joe:

- He is *by far* the best passer out of screening action we have on the team. Literally by a country mile.

- He has improved his offensive efficiency by a great deal. Kudos to the kid. It’s not only important for his own accord, but Buddy is *so* inefficient, that he’s really offsetting Buddy’s ramp up time. Hopefully it keeps up.

- Kid has quick hands on defense. He isn’t good on defense. I won’t argue this. If anyone thinks he is, so be it. But at least he has quick hands and works to get steals and get live balls.

- his TO rate is way too high, but, again, he’s not a PG. And, the guys on this team are not helping him out here. We have poor screeners and our wing guys are not great at being aggressive with off the ball movement to the extent we need them.

Kudos to Joe. He’s improved. Legitimately improved. Kid is in a tough spot. I’d love to see him at the SG spot and hopefully he gets to be there next year for his own good.

Btw, Buddy deserves the ramp up time. But if we’re being honest, he needs to get back to good Buddy bc he is shooting so many times a game, he has to keep making them or else he’s shooting us out of games.

No malice intended.
I don't think JB is trying to prove anything by playing 3 for five from the bench. He already knows who can provide good play from his bench but is still trying to get them experience and wanting them to succeed. But, his bench is proving it to JB and to themselves that they aren't ready and JB gets to say they aren't ready in his pressers.

Sometimes one bench player works if he's having a good night, but three at the same time having Cornell gain on us because of their bad play is not a good idea. I am , I guess, just re-stating what has been posted already but what the hell.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom