My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

When I was in the band in the '60s, we always played the fight song of the visiting school in front of their seating section. It was a great tradition and well received. I don't know when it stopped.
When you guys visit next year, the USMA band will play Syracuse song during the pre-game parade (parade three hours before kickoff).

Also possibly at halftime, depending on what's happening during halftime that day.

FYI, regardless of distance, the only time you'll get more than maybe 1/4 of the Corps at a road game is Army-Navy (or Army-AF is it ever gets "close enough" but not at Michie).

Cadets very much value weekends away from West Point and don't particularly want to spend that time in uniform.

Also, it's September, way too early for Dress Grey. It's still White over Grey season. Unfortunately much more sloppy, even when it's not the football team.
This was not true in 1996.

Yeah, like the throw to Hatcher (which he inexplicably pulled up on his route for a moment) -
Alford was running wide open down the field on the other side.

That’s an even easier pitch and catch (to quote the redundant announcer) than the throw to Hatcher woulda been.

That woulda been the easiest 6 we got all day, and Shredder missed it.
I’ve seen a couple of references to the Hatcher route. He did not break off the route. That is a designed hesitation route. Sort of an old fashioned stop n go designed to get the db to break his back peddle and then accelerate by the DB. the throw was just long.

Or are people referencing a slight deceleration by Hatcher when the ball was in the air?!?! I thought he just lost his balance a bit and didn’t slow up.

Last edited:
FYI, regardless of distance, the only time you'll get more than maybe 1/4 of the Corps at a road game is Army-Navy (or Army-AF is it ever gets "close enough" but not at Michie).

Cadets very much value weekends away from West Point and don't particularly want to spend that time in uniform.

Also, it's September, way too early for Dress Grey. It's still White over Grey season. Unfortunately much more sloppy, even when it's not the football team.

1989 I was a freshman (yikes!) and the Cadets flooded the zone on campus for our September game. And by that I mean picking up every girl and drinking every beer they could.

sutomcat Patriotic music (including the songs of the branches of the military) is actually easy for marching bands to do. There's an annual ask for it, so the likely majority of the band has already learned it from years prior. It's pretty easy to get it back under your fingers once you know it.

sutomcat Patriotic music (including the songs of the branches of the military) is actually easy for marching bands to do. There's an annual ask for it, so the likely majority of the band has already learned it from years prior. It's pretty easy to get it back under your fingers once you know it.
Cool. Still enjoyed the show.. Great songs played very well. Bravo SUMB, with a major assist by the Army band…..

I was digging the Rocksters subbing. Like hockey, he shifted the DL and LB's which was pretty cool to do on the second series.

I was digging the Rocksters subbing. Like hockey, he shifted the DL and LB's which was pretty cool to do on the second series.

Rocky moves people around a lot. You see DL dropping back in coverage and LBs blitzing a lot. He blitzes with the safeties and corners quite a bit too.

More press coverage than Tony did.

It is going to lead to more TFL, more sacks, more turnovers and probably more big plays like the long run WMU had early in the game, or the long pass Army hit late in the game.

I like his style. Would rather have an attacking defense than a bend but not break one.

The question is are the reads being missed or just read in an order that the big play isnt being seen? thats at least 5-6 of those plays this year with simple throws for huge gains and we are throwing other places.

Now the same thing happen a ton when Dungey was the qb as well.
Yes but the cool part is we are getting open and I mean wide open. We just aren’t seeing it yet lol

I’ve seen a couple of references to the Hatcher route. He did not break off the route. That is a designed hesitation route. Sort of an old fashioned stop n go designed to get the db to break his back peddle and then accelerate by the DB. the throw was just long.

Or are people referencing a slight deceleration by Hatcher when the ball was in the air?!?! I thought he just lost his balance a bit and didn’t slow up.
Kinda looked like he slowed up cause I thought he coulda caught full speed.

1989 I was a freshman (yikes!) and the Cadets flooded the zone on campus for our September game. And by that I mean picking up every girl and drinking every beer they could.

i'm sure this has been answered but why did we essentially play two bowl games in 1989? We went to Tokyo for a game and then played in the Peach Bowl. What was the point of the Tokyo Bowl game?

That play was right in front of me and I tracked Hatcher the entire way (to the point where I have no clue who else might have been open). He did a little hitch and go after about 10-15 yards. My only complaint was I thought there was a chance to make the catch if he laid out as the ball was only over thrown by a yard or two.

Cool. Still enjoyed the show.. Great songs played very well. Bravo SUMB, with a major assist by the Army band…..
Not meant to take away from the performance at all! I just like sharing how the sausage gets made.

That play was right in front of me and I tracked Hatcher the entire way (to the point where I have no clue who else might have been open). He did a little hitch and go after about 10-15 yards. My only complaint was I thought there was a chance to make the catch if he laid out as the ball was only over thrown by a yard or two.
I wonder if he did not expect the ball and didnt know where it was.. by then too late to go get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom