My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Want to start by crediting UConn for playing a great game. Ollie did a terrific job preparing them to attack the zone and they executed their half court offense beautifully. The Huskies also played excellent man defense. Napier took Triche out of the game most of the way. Daniels did a fine job on Fair.

Thought the half court offense was awful. Way too many 3 point attempts, almost no attempt to get the ball down low or in the paint. Just a lackadaisical, half hearted sleep walk all game long. Syracuse is not a good outside shooting team and they aren't going to win many games exchanging 3 point attempts most of the game.

UConn attacked Southerland's side of the zone all game long and had great success doing it. Christmas and Keita were essentially worthless played against low caliber borderline Division 1 players.

Again, great job by UConn, who played much better than Syracuse and clearly deserved the win. All the props in the world to them. One more thing...Ryan Boatright is the black Devo.

My take: what the hell was JB doing keeping our best player on the bench for the final 3 or 4 minutes?

Seriously. What was that about?

. Ollie did a terrific job preparing them to attack the zone and they executed their half court offense beautifully. .

Yep he did..."Hey see that SOUTHERLAND guy...go toward his side, he'll get lost within 3 passes"

Want to start by crediting UConn for playing a great game. Ollie did a terrific job preparing them to attack the zone and they executed their half court offense beautifully. The Huskies also played excellent man defense. Napier took Triche out of the game most of the way. Daniels did a fine job on Fair.

Thought the half court offense was awful. Way too many 3 point attempts, almost no attempt to get the ball down low or in the paint. Just a lackadaisical, half hearted sleep walk all game long. Syracuse is not a good outside shooting team and they aren't going to win many games exchanging 3 point attempts most of the game.

UConn attacked Southerland's side of the zone all game long and had great success doing it. Christmas and Keita were essentially worthless played against low caliber borderline Division 1 players.

Again, great job by UConn, who played much better than Syracuse and clearly deserved the win. All the props in the world to them. One more thing...Ryan Boatright is the black Devo.

dead on right there. uconn wanted it more. shot lights out. we couldn't hit anything. out hustled. out rebounded. out coached.

I have a feeling that SWC's Downside will be longer than your "My Take". No sense harping on all of the things we did bad. The more I watch the team play poorly on the road, the more I think that this might be a good year to head out west for the NCAA's. Also, this upcoming Seton Hall game could very well be challenging.

Your comments on Christmas and Keita pretty much says it all and your 1000% correct. Hope DC is the answer, we havent had a dominating center in what feels like decades.

You give UCONN too much credit on this one.

A mediocre team playing in front of less than a sellout versus the talent of Syracuse should emphasize paragraphs two and three as the headline and end, not vice versa.

No way should UCONN beat Syracuse when you glance at the lineups.

Terrible loss. But it is just one...so onward I suppose.

I have a feeling that SWC's Downside will be longer than your "My Take". No sense harping on all of the things we did bad. The more I watch the team play poorly on the road, the more I think that this might be a good year to head out west for the NCAA's. Also, this upcoming Seton Hall game could very well be challenging.

It's shorter than the Downside but longer than the Upside. :cool:

Though I agree that the half-court offense was atrocious tonight, and it has been in many games this year, I thought that our defense on the perimeter tonight was horrible. That was disappointing. UConn's guards are quick, and their speed exploited our inability to contain the dribble. That said, they still had to hit the shots, which they did. When they didn't, we bailed them out a couple of times by fouling jump shooters. That was frustrating.

We had one last year.

Not offensively. But we had a great offensive center the 2 seasons before that. Were spoiled.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Christmas and Keita ARE essentially low caliber borderline Division 1 players. So no great surprise there.

Though I agree that the half-court offense was atrocious tonight, and it has been in many games this year, I thought that our defense on the perimeter tonight was horrible. That was disappointing. UConn's guards are quick, and their speed exploited our inability to contain the dribble. That said, they still had to hit the shots, which they did. When they didn't, we bailed them out a couple of times by fouling jump shooters. That was frustrating.

Spot on.

Your comments on Christmas and Keita pretty much says it all and your 1000% correct. Hope DC is the answer, we havent had a dominating center in what feels like decades.

How can anyone judge this? For as long as I can remember most of out losses have a common theme: gunning threes and not even trying to go inside, by driving or passing. Teams who have prototypical dominant centers get those centers the damn ball inside! We don't! Back seven or eight years we had Hakim Warrick who was arguably the most dominant interior inside player in the country, yet we lost several games because he didn't touch the ball the last 8-10 minutes. Given some touches we have guys who can be decent inside even this year. I mean, hell, the one game this year we made a consistent effort to get Rak the ball he even had a pretty good game.

You are referring to the "Hands of Stone Bros." Why bother passing inside to them!!

How can anyone judge this? For as long as I can remember most of out losses have a common theme: gunning threes and not even trying to go inside, by driving or passing. Teams who have prototypical dominant centers get those centers the damn ball inside! We don't! Back seven or eight years we had Hakim Warrick who was arguably the most dominant interior inside player in the country, yet we lost several games because he didn't touch the ball the last 8-10 minutes. Given some touches we have guys who can be decent inside even this year. I mean, hell, the one game this year we made a consistent effort to get Rak the ball he even had a pretty good game.

This. Story of the game, and the story of many games. Anyone who follows this team knows that Christmas can score reliably in a number of ways. But he doesn't get the touches.

Hell, for four years last decade we had a guy who shot almost 65% from the field and he couldn't even muster 10 points per game. We just don't have teams that consistently feed the post. It's frustrating.

Our guards have a size advantage on almost anyone we play at 6-5 and 6-4. But they don't use it much. we have no post-up game inside or out. Our guys don't shoot over people. They try to maneuver for open shots and prevent the other team's guards from doing so. In that mode, being bigger is no advantage.

Totally agree thathat UCONN played a smart game .We did not. Positioning for rebounds is somethiong that Jimmy has ignored for many seasons. Never more apparent than this last game.Boxing out is as foreign to the teamas is creating a punt return wall in football.A combination of poor shooting and lack of boards buried our chances to get out of that dump with a win.

Christmas and Keita ARE essentially low caliber borderline Division 1 players. So no great surprise there.
I'mprett sur that when Coleman returns the caliber of play down low doesn't improve. DC2is a classic example of everyone being fooled by a big kid physically maturing and beating up on those who aren't even close to his size and maturity. I see nothing inhis game to suggest he will improve to the expected level of his recruitment rating.:bat:

bigger is bigger: good
bigger is slower: bad

it's simply a matter of utilising your vertical advantage or being exploited. last night again the latter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom