My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
This has to be short, need to hit the hay.

The event was hosted by Gumby and a geeky looking kid with glasses. They tried and I applaud the effort but they were pretty lame and their lip synch contest was way too long and very hard to sit through.

They brought in that weird goat herder guy, who had an entertaining performance. Very good with the ad libs.

The women's team scrimmaged first. They had big intros for each player. I think Sykes had the best dance but Peterson was good too. The scrimmage itself was kind of hard to watch. Neither team shot the ball well, lots of missed layups, air balls on 3 attempts, etc. I think the team is actually going to be quite good, might well get an NCAA bid. But they have some work to do. Sykes, Brianna Butler, Peterson, Coffey, Leary and the Raleigh Day twins look like the best players. Was a little disappointed with Morrison, the Vandy transfer, who shot the ball really poorly. Slim didn't get a lot of PT and rarely touched the ball.

The marching team came out at one point and played the fight song. Interesting to see them squeezed on a basketball court.

The men got big intros too, but none were bigger than JB, who was dropped off in a classic NYC yellow cab. BJ gets my award for the best dance for the men. Solid work.

The teams didn't seem really fair...the orange squad had Ennis, Cooney, Coleman, Christmas (4 starters), Roberson and BJ. The white team had BenoJ and Boss at guard, with CJ and JG at forward and BMK at center. I think they had CO too.

Anyway, the game was a rout. CJ played really well for a long time to keep the white team in the game but the orange team, led by Ennis and Cooney, was clearly better and they pulled away pretty steadily, led by some great passing by TE and shooting by TC. BJ looked excellent, really shot the ball well, TR played well (heady player) and DC and RC had some moments, but remain less than accomplished scorers at this time.

Patterson had another rough day. The white team opened in man with him on Trevor and Trevor abused him in a most alarming fashion. They switched to the 2-3 but nothing could stop the TE-TC duo, who appear to have great chemistry right now.

Grant didn't play very well, rare off day for him. Missed a lot of open good shots. Patterson struggled to score though he did hit a nice 3. CO looked good, I think he is definitely ahead of where BMK was as a true frosh.

Lots of good athletes out there tonight. The outside shooting was really good, as was the passing. The defense was bad, really bad but I guess it is to be expected in an exhibition setting like this.

The music was really loud. It was hard to have a conversation with someone next to you and almost impossible to talk to someone on the phone. Why? I hope my hearing returns at some point.

That being said, was glad the men played 2 10 minute halves with some additional bonus time for the men (the women only played for 10 minutes). Last year I believe they only played for 10 minutes, which is not cool when that is the primary reason most of the people were there.

It might not have been perfect but it was free, for me and my peeps anyway, and I can't complain much about something at that price. This team could be something special down the road. The ceiling is pretty darned high.

"Patterson had another rough day. The white team opened in man with him on Trevor and Trevor abused him in a most alarming fashion."

Ha ha ha! And - oh dear.

I didn't go, so I was very glad to get "your take." I am wondering if we really need Christmas and Coleman? It seems that of course we do, and that is a stupid comment, but their productivity is always low and we are always waiting for them to make the leap to the next level. Is that the thankless role of people who play the 4 & 5?

I just got back from some sort of celebration for St. Kitts & Nevis at work and all I could think about is a writeup like this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom