My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Disappointing crowd, maybe 23 or 24K in the stands. Students did not have a good turnout but a bunch of late arrivers salvaged things somewhat. Maybe it was meatloaf night in the food halls?

The NA was sung by an SU senior named Bryce Garcia. He did a fine job, yet another good effort in a season full of them.

The cheerleaders had their new white unis on. They looked nice. I think they have been working orange ones so far this year. No platinum. Somewhere a designer in Eugene is frowning.

ND did what a bunch of teams have done to SU defensively. Packed 5 guys into the paint, took away the lanes and dared Syracuse to shoot jumpers. Most teams have had the guy covering Trevor extend and stay in his face. ND didn't do that, not sure they had anyone athletic enough to do that. That turned out to be a very bad thing for the Irish, as Trevor got a lot of open jumpers early and hit most of them.

After some time, ND decided that approach wasn't happening and went to a 2-3 zone. That was even more disastrous for them as it poured gasoline on the TC fire. They then went to a box and one, which also was not effective. With 4 minutes and a handful of seconds left in the first half, ND had 18 points and TC had 17.

This was not a good game for CJ, who had a lot of good looks at the basket but was just as lost shooting today as he was on last Saturday. In the first half, JG also struggled mightily to get good shots, to get to the basket, to do anything useful on offense.

For the 2nd game in a row, MG and TR played some significant time in the 1st half and extended the lead while in the game. MG hit a 3 and ran the offense well. TR hit a jumper with authority, played good defense and again looked good. Unfortunately, neither got any playing time in the 2nd half until Silent G was situationally subbed in for BMK when SU had the ball late on offense and ND was in foul quick mode.

RC didn't play particularly well. Sherman beat him quite a bit with quick moves in the paint (he does better against power guys than finesse guys). He also abused BMK quite a bit. ND did their usual good job milking the clock on offense, working the ball around until late when they usually got an open 3 or a good look inside. They also hurt us with good offensive rebounding.

The offense looked as bad as it has all season. No energy, everyone was pretty flat, CJ was cold and if not for the great game from TC, this game could well have been a loss. Somehow, someway, someone emerges every game and steps up to make big plays when they are needed. Even TE was not his normal self today, looking kind of worn out and lack luster out there.

After the good play of the bench in the first half, we didn't sub at all in the 2nd until late, and that was only because RC fouled out. We looked pretty tired, that might have contributed to the poor play. Again, I am convinced that TE played while sick again. Hope he gets back to 100% for Sunday.

The crowd was pretty quiet but I thought did a good job getting loud late, when ND closed within 3 and put a genuine scare into the Orangemen. They also got in a rare wave. Also saw a first today: a blue balloon inside of an orange balloon as the balloon masters of the upper 310 are getting more creative.

Hard to get up for every game, I am not greatly concerned over this game. The team played barely well enough to win but the game was in hand almost from the start and I had the feeling that SU could pull away from ND anytime they really wanted to. Already looking forward to Clemson and seeing orange uniforms on Sunday.

I agree with most everything here...albeit that game was never really in doubt.

Roberson should have gotten more extended time. CJ had an off night and can see why after that awesome game Sat night. Roberson played really well and why not give him the minutes while CJ got a nice long break.

CJ had no legs tonight. A few days off will do the team some good.

They also lived on his left hand stripping him too many times as he started his move near the top of the key leading to some runout baskets by the Irish.

Students: better turnout than last Super Bowl Monday, though maybe not as good as one would hope for the #1 team in the county. But those who were there were loud.

And they came up with a hilarious new noise during opponents' second free throw - they flail around and make various car alarm noises in unison. It was awesome. They still follow it up with the stupid and unoriginal "You still suck balls" (why not just say "And Georgetown still sucks!"?), but it was a nice move toward creativity; hopefully it continues.

Students sounded like they were trying to imitate a Three Stooges soundtrack.

Dave Bing was in the house. Thanks to "Dad" Orangeyes for taking our picture, and for introducing me to OrangeOnions.

CTO has found a smashing new orange blazer to replace the ol' CTO sweater o' karma. This blazer is not only fabulous but brought a win tonight.

As always, need more tuba.

I have the feeling Clemson will wear their blue uniforms Sunday, we'll see.

Students sounded like they were trying to imitate a Three Stooges soundtrack.

Dave Bing was in the house. Thanks to "Dad" Orangeyes for taking our picture, and for introducing me to OrangeOnions.

CTO has found a smashing new orange blazer to replace the ol' CTO sweater o' karma. This blazer is not only fabulous but brought a win tonight.

As always, need more tuba.
Joe,I have worn the same orange cardigan (not blazer) to every game this year, except for the three games in Maui. So far, so good with it.

Once again you have proved that men never really notice what women wear!

Something tells me a good 3 to 5,000 Syracuse fans may be suffering from a week long terrible hangover.

Joe,I have worn the same orange cardigan (not blazer) to every game this year, except for the three games in Maui. So far, so good with it.

Once again you have proved that men never really notice what women wear!

I really, really dread the day you meet my wife, and the subsequent conversation!

The blazer really does look sharp!

Roberson should have gotten more extended time. CJ had an off night and can see why after that awesome game Sat night. Roberson played really well and why not give him the minutes while CJ got a nice long break.
You should tell Boeheim that the next time you see him

This game was as good an illustration as any as to why teams face guard Cooney, even if he is having a 1-10 night...

He hit some really tough shots but ND gave him more open looks than anyone has in a long time...

cj looked sluggish. good example is the 3 ball trevor missed late (one of the few) which went out of bounds on fair's side. cj normally should have got to that ball. he looked to me to be in slow motion chasing it down.

Students: better turnout than last Super Bowl Monday, though maybe not as good as one would hope for the #1 team in the county. But those who were there were loud.

And they came up with a hilarious new noise during opponents' second free throw - they flail around and make various car alarm noises in unison. It was awesome. They still follow it up with the stupid and unoriginal "You still suck balls" (why not just say "And Georgetown still sucks!"?), but it was a nice move toward creativity; hopefully it continues.

Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, great to see the students break out something new and fresh. Glad to see it. Haven't seen much in the new of new stuff from the student section in recent years, which saddens me. As an alum, I like to think SU students are special, and to me, one of the things that has historically made us special is our creative and innovative approach to supporting the SU teams at games.

This was extraordinarily well coordinated; great execution. I would say it was a major success. Agree that the foul chant at the end detracts and does not reflect well on the students. Hope they lose that.

And I hope to see more attempts by the students to do new things along this line.

And I hope to see more attempts by the students to do new things along this line.

I would love to see the students do the "Roll call" a la the Yankees Bleacher Creatures.

Only if it means they never do the "wave". :cool:
I know the Wave is very polarizing but it does help re-energize the crowd. Sometimes it's what the doctor ordered.

I know the Wave is very polarizing but it does help re-energize the crowd. Sometimes it's what the doctor ordered.

Yankees Bleacher Creatures DO NOT do the wave. Period.

Maybe the students can make a big head of Bald Vinny instead.

For the 2nd game in a row, MG and TR played some significant time in the 1st half and extended the lead while in the game. MG hit a 3 and ran the offense well. TR hit a jumper with authority, played good defense and again looked good. Unfortunately, neither got any playing time in the 2nd half until Silent G was situationally subbed in for BMK when SU had the ball late on offense and ND was in foul quick mode.

I hesitate to even write this because I enjoy these recaps so much but I was surprised to see that you thought Roberson played well. I really like him and think he gets significant minutes on just about every other Orange team of the last 15 years but without any consistency in playing time, he continues to look a little befuddled out there. Despite making a nice jumper, he also had kind of an ugly turnover and was out of position on defense two trips down the court in a row. Boeheim had Grant back up off the bench to sub back in for him about 30 seconds after he sat down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom