My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Sorry this is belated and pretty short.

As might be expected, Elon barely brought any fans to the game. I didn't run into any, though I saw a few sitting behind their bench. Coaches wife and kids mostly, I think.

The NA was sung by a couple of young female twins. They had a unique take on the song that was refreshing and well received. Their voices blended together really well. I guess that was to be expected too.

No students, no cheerleaders, no SSS, not even an Otto. I think the stated attendance was close to right; there were about 16K that actually attended the game. The low numbers for these early games are going to make it extremely hard to lead the nation in attendance. We might have lost a significant number of season ticket holders after the ugly season last year and the relatively low expectations for this season...

Here are some random disjointed thoughts on the game...

TR looks a lot more at home and effective on offense when DaJuan is not in the game. It just gives him more room to operate in the paint. Though honestly, even scoring 20 points, TR wasn't really a part of the half court offense. He got most of his scoring opportunities getting offensive rebounds.

When DaJuan is out of the game, it also opens up real estate inside for the slashers to create...especially when TL replaces DaJuan. Word is already out that you have to cover TL so even if he is checked by a guard, the defense goes from relatively packed in with DaJuan in to really extended when he is out.

Anyway, I think DC2's lack of playing time is more about team dynamics than how he is playing himself. He actually looks pretty good out there. I am relieved to see him healthy and moving around without pain. Don't write him off yet.

We again look at our best when we are attacking the basket with the ball.

Silent G looks to be focusing more on finding opportunities to score than setting up his teammates for baskets. Seems like TC and he have almost switched roles in the last couple of games. TC, more than ever in his career, is passing up shots and looking to make passes. Those two are neck and neck in assists right now for the season (Silent G leads TC by 1) and probably will be for the rest of the season. I would guess is TC doing it with significantly less touches though.

He and TC are really causing problems for teams with their height and ability to anticipate at the top of the zone. One of the keys to the season will be their willingness to help out rebounding. This team is never going to be a good rebounding team but if the guards hit the boards hard, we can be adequate. Against most teams, on most days, that should be good enough to win.

Lydon is mostly playing at the high post now but he is only scratching the surface of what he is capable of. Would like to see him feed the low post if his man comes out to challenge him (he has already dribbled past his man and gone to the basket a couple of times). Would like to see some pick and rolls using TL. He is already doing the rolls but no one has passed it to him yet. Could really benefit from a Jonny Flynn playing with him right now. I hope Frankie Howard grows into that roll down the road.

Who would have thought he would be playing 35 minutes this early in his career? The good news is that he is in excellent shape and appears capable of handling that kind of playing time early. He is going to foul out of a lot of games though if he keeps playing this much.

MR didn't shoot well but he is getting guarded very tightly and when that happens and he has a lane, he is consistently taking the ball to the hoops. Shows an excellent first step and good athletic ability doing this. Drawing a lot of fouls early, so much so that he has a chance to lead the team in FTs attempted as a frosh. He is leading the team in this stat right now. After a good start on the defensive boards, he is falling off on the rebounding side at an alarming rate. Doesn't have to get 10 boards a game but if he plays over 30 minutes at forward, he needs to get at least 5.

I think the rotation is solidifying pretty quickly.

TL is going to get a lot of PT at PF and C. Coleman will play every game...the question with him is whether it will be like a frosh Christmas, playing token minutes until the first timeouts of each half, or if he can play well enough to really be part of the rotation. I think the latter.

CO will play a little too but never in crunch time except as a defensive only substitute in the event of a whooping coach epidemic, massive foul outs or like catastrophes.

The last time for meaningful playing time is for the backup spot for the guards. Because they are spelling both guards, it could be for very meaningful minutes, especially if Coleman does not flake off the rust and Silent G is forced to play some minutes at forward. That is probably going to happen in the big games sometimes regardless.

Anyway, there is a job opening for KJ or FH here. Could go to either one. I think KJ will provide more scoring. I see FH providing better passing and I think, better defense. Could go either way. Looks like JB is conducting open tryouts each game. Looks like KJ was out front early, but Frankie is now leading by a small margin. I think one of the big stories for this season, one of the keys determining if it is to be successful, is what happens on this front. Somebody has to emerge as a solid, reliable option. Maybe both will. With two uber experienced seniors in front of them though, I think Highlander has it right here.

There can be only one.

By the time the team boards the plane heading back from the Bahamas, we will probably have the answer. I hope so anyway.

TR looks a lot more at home and effective on offense when DaJuan is not in the game. It just gives him more room to operate in the paint. Though honestly, even scoring 20 points, TR wasn't really a part of the half court offense. He got most of his scoring opportunities getting offensive rebounds.

With all the bricks this team throws up, it seems like he is an integral part of the offense :)

Thanks for your take, as always. I was reading it and got about 3/4 of the way through it was was noting, with some disappointment, that the post appeared to be devoid of the now famous tomcat autocorrect hilarity. Then I came across this and was heartened: "CO will play a little too but never in crunch time except as a defensive only substitute in the event of a whooping coach epidemic..."

Are the students getting the week before thanksgiving off now? I remember traveling home to NYC on the bus the day before it. We certainly had Monday and Tuesday classes.

Are the students getting the week before thanksgiving off now? I remember traveling home to NYC on the bus the day before it. We certainly had Monday and Tuesday classes.

The further away I get from my college years it seems students get more and more time off for holidays. I'm pretty sure now they are on break from Columbus Day to St. Patricks Day.

How many years of eligibility does Coleman have? 2 or 3? I am just remembering the dreaded hook our Christmas used to get after 30 seconds. I am amazed that he hung in there and look at him now! Do you think the assistant coaches are saying soothing and inspiring things to him? Do you think Boeheim ever soothes Coleman?

I am all about the soothe.

1st 3 games:

1. Fri 11/13 Lehigh 21,286 (57-47 win)
  2. Tue 11/17 St Bonaventure 21,379 (79-66 win)
  3. Sat 11/21 Elon 16.529 (66-55 win)
  4. Wed 12/2 Wisconsin
  5. Tue 12/8 Colgate
  6. Sat 12/19 Cornell - noon
  7. Tue St 12/22 Montana St
  8. Sun 12/27 Texas Southern - 2:00pm
  9. Tue 1/5 Clemson
  10. Sat 1/9 UNC - 2:00/8:00pm
  11. Wed 1/13 BC
  12. Thu 1/28 Notre Dame
  13. Sat 1/30 GA Tech - noon
  14. Tue 2/2 Va Tech
  15. Thu 2/11 FSU
  16. Sat 2/20 Pitt
  17. Sat 2/27 NC State
Side note: has anyone noticed that our ACC schedule we play 2 games away, 3 games home, 3 games away (@wake, @duke, @uva), FOUR games home, 2 away, 2 home, 2 away

2013-2014 year we got the attendace record back:
Cornell: 24,788 (82-60 win)
Fordham: 22,667 (89-74 win)
Colgate: 25,519 (69-50 win)
St Francis: 23,117 (56-50 win)
Indiana: 26,414 (69-52 win)
Binghamton: 25,844 (93-65 win)
High Point: 19,473 (75-54 win)
Villanova: 28,135 (78-62 win)
Eastern Michigan: 20,306 (70-48 win)
Miami: 21,839 (49-44 win) FIRST ACC GAME
North Carolina: 32,121 (57-45 win)
Pittsburgh: 30,046 (59-54 win)
Duke: 35,446 (91-89 OT win) RECORD ATTENDANCE
Notre Dame: 25,850 (61-55 win)
Clemson: 25,931 (57-44 win)
North Carolina State: 31,572 (56-55 win)
Boston College: 26,716 (62-59 OT loss)
Georgia Tech: 26,766 (67-62 loss)

Total: 18 games = 472,550 = 26,252.78 avg

Last edited:
There are rarely the same number of people in the stands as are tickets sold, but I get your drift. We were a #1 team that year. Last year we hit the skids and it is looking like this year is not getting people excited. The students make a big difference in attendance and atmosphere. The Elon crowd and atmosphere was exceptionally bad. I was part of the badness: oh, I cheered, and clapped and urged the team onward, but I also talked to my daughter about our cats. I never once did that during the Duke game.

Thanks for the rather sad statistics!

There are rarely the same number of people in the stands as are tickets sold, but I get your drift. We were a #1 team that year. Last year we hit the skids and it is looking like this year is not getting people excited. The students make a big difference in attendance and atmosphere. The Elon crowd and atmosphere was exceptionally bad. I was part of the badness: oh, I cheered, and clapped and urged the team onward, but I also talked to my daughter about our cats. I never once did that during the Duke game.

Thanks for the rather sad statistics!

To be honest, I started a response saying that the attendance hasn't been bad and that we were in good shape for the attendance crown... and then I searched for my season long thread from that year and found out I was VERY wrong - so I went ahead and just posted that.

I think we can still avg in the neighborhood is 22-23k. Hope the season shakes out well and get that up to 24-25k.

To be honest, I started a response saying that the attendance hasn't been bad and that we were in good shape for the attendance crown... and then I searched for my season long thread from that year and found out I was VERY wrong - so I went ahead and just posted that.

I think we can still avg in the neighborhood is 22-23k. Hope the season shakes out well and get that up to 24-25k.

Well it looks like season ticket sales are down at least 3,000 from two seasons ago. And we've got a pretty bad home schedule (considerably worse if North Carolina is during Christmas break...haven't checked the academic calendar).

Who knows what tricks they've got up their sleeve, but I'd guess tickets sales will be at their lowest since about 2009.

OttoMets said:
Well it looks like season ticket sales are down at least 3,000 from two seasons ago. And we've got a pretty bad home schedule (considerably worse if North Carolina is during Christmas break...haven't checked the academic calendar). Who knows what tricks they've got up their sleeve, but I'd guess tickets sales will be at their lowest since about 2009.

Students will be on break for UNC.

January 9.

Students will be on break for UNC.

January 9.

That's what I'd assumed - pretty early. I think we played them around the 11th or 12th two years ago, but the administration gave students some option to return early and attend the game.

That's what I'd assumed - pretty early. I think we played them around the 11th or 12th two years ago, but the administration gave students some option to return early and attend the game.
I was watching a home Carolina game last week and the Dean Dome was very empty. And that was before they were defeated. Fan apathy - or whatever it is - may be universal in the pre-season except for high level games. Will we have a lot of people for Wisconsin? I sure hope so! (Students will be back, so we better.)

Fan apathy - or whatever it is - may be universal in the pre-season except for high level games. Will we have a lot of people for Wisconsin? I sure hope so! (Students will be back, so we better.)
One way to cure apathy - or at least ease the malaise - would be to go back to 26 regular season games. The extra 5 games may not seem like a lot to some, but it equates to another 2-3 weeks. The season tends to drag on once February rolls around, especially if the team isn't fighting for a high seed. Less games would also place greater importance on individual games.

I was watching a home Carolina game last week and the Dean Dome was very empty. And that was before they were defeated. Fan apathy - or whatever it is - may be universal in the pre-season except for high level games. Will we have a lot of people for Wisconsin? I sure hope so! (Students will be back, so we better.)

In the era of giant televisions, it's tough. With SU, this is compounded by the facts that we're spoiled by winning, we're accustomed to attractive opponents, and Gross pushed the single-game price point beyond what the market will support.

I don't have a great feel for this season yet, but I'd guess Wisconsin will have about 20,000 in the seats, 24,000 announced, and a fairly empty student section (that is, some empty seats downstairs, 50-100 students in 304 and 303).

Well it looks like season ticket sales are down at least 3,000 from two seasons ago. And we've got a pretty bad home schedule (considerably worse if North Carolina is during Christmas break...haven't checked the academic calendar).

Who knows what tricks they've got up their sleeve, but I'd guess tickets sales will be at their lowest since about 2009.

FYI added date, day of week, and time for wknd games. It looks like it is going to be a rough yr attendance wise.

FYI added date, day of week, and time for wknd games. It looks like it is going to be a rough yr attendance wise.
Yes. Somehow we have gotten stuck with a lot of unattractive bottom feeder schools on the home conference schedule...and has been pointed out, the one really attractive game was scheduled so early the students won't be back for it.

Let's hope we play well enough that those 2 Saturday games late in the season have meaning. We will have played a lot of tough games on the road by then.

Yes. Somehow we have gotten stuck with a lot of unattractive bottom feeder schools on the home conference schedule...and has been pointed out, the one really attractive game was scheduled so early the students won't be back for it.

Let's hope we play well enough that those 2 Saturday games late in the season have meaning. We will have played a lot of tough games on the road by then.
Some of those bottom feeder schools may beat us! (Hello, Wake Forest.) We need all the sizzle from the fans we can get. But who are the students going to camp out for? No one this year, I would suspect.

In the era of giant televisions, it's tough. With SU, this is compounded by the facts that we're spoiled by winning, we're accustomed to attractive opponents, and Gross pushed the single-game price point beyond what the market will support.

I don't have a great feel for this season yet, but I'd guess Wisconsin will have about 20,000 in the seats, 24,000 announced, and a fairly empty student section (that is, some empty seats downstairs, 50-100 students in 304 and 303).
Pathetic. I hope you're wrong but you may be right. Screw you, giant television sets!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom