My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Yeah, didn't see this mentioned, but our two-on-one breaks (when we get them) are so fundamentally unsound. We were fortunate to get free throws out of those two Cooney breaks last night.
This is something that drives me crazy in every single college hoops game I watch. I guess youth teams don't run fastbreak drills anymore. We had it drilled into us: the no-dribbling allowed 2-on-1 and 3-on-2 drills, over and over, so that when it happened in a game, everyone knew where they should be and where the teammates should be. Now, they just drive to the hoop, which often means turning a 3-on-2 into a 1-on-2 or a 2-on-1 into a 1-on-1. I'd rather forego the foul and two FTs for an easy bucket, especially with the way this team shoots FTs.

This has to be a quick one...

I am trying to remember another game where the other team was in control the entire game, Syracuse was never able to get ahead through 40 minutes, even briefly, where they got a win anyway.

There have been a lot of great SU comebacks over the years...including the last home game against the Hokies, where they had a collapse down the stretch. But this one was different. The Hokies always had a answer this game, and never got a big lead. They were just always in control and seemingly always had the ability to answer an SU run to get the game close with a run of their own.

It would have been really easy for this team to lie down and take the loss. VT pretty well. They got some crazy breaks and bad shooters make crazy shots. They had a guy who never plays and appeared to be 1/4 opposum to have a career day.

Kerry%20Blackshear.JPG
1024px-Opossum_2.jpg

To their credit, Allen is a good athlete (horrible defender) and the Bibbs kid has a lot of talent. Some of the other players are decent complimentary players. They played solid man defense, rarely gave our outside shooters good looks and seemed to contest every inside shot as well.

We had a lot of possessions where we just did our weave, probing for weaknesses, found none and were forced to put up a bad 3 point shot under pressure with the shot clock about to expire. It was pretty painful to watch and a big part of it was caused by some solid, excellent fundamentals by the Hokie players on defense.

I think a part of it was due to fatigue as well. Cooney is normally an energizer bunny out there but from the start of the game, he looked subdued and appeared to be running at least than 100%. Maybe he was sick or had an asthma attack or something. He just wasn't his normal self.

Anyway, this game was largely won on the effort of Silent G, who IMHO, is cementing himself as a player who should be on the ACC first team all conference. The offense we got was largely due to him, be it slashing into the paint and dishing for an easy hoop, taking the shot, making key outside shots, getting steals and baskets, etc. He was, IMHO, clearly the best player on the floor and the Hokies had no answer for him. My lasting memory from this game will be the reactions Seth Allen had every time Mike would burn him and score another basket. Watch the replay. His little spin, whirl of his arms and dropping of his head was very enjoyable to watch. Again and again.

I don't know how this team could get a win with TC so incredibly ineffective, Malachi struggling most of the game to even get a shot off, TL again very reluctant to take a shot (he did a nice job finishing with slams when he got the ball down low though), DC2 largely ineffective, and even Silent G struggling to get good shots. If Silent G was the player of the game, Tyler Roberson was a really close second. He did a lot of dirty work in the trenches, got a lot of rebounds to keep the game close, especially on the offensive end, had some big scores and made some big plays on defense too.

Malachi again had a huge 3 to give us a chance to win. That seems to happen just about every game.

I criticized Trevor for not hitting many shots in big situations. He did it last night with the big 3 to get SU off to a great start in OT. That doesn't absolve him from all the misses earlier but it was good to see him get a big shot to fall. I think he will be well served to focus on taking 3s from the perimeter the rest of the season, or breakaway layups. He is really hurting the team when he penetrates a bit and takes a short to mid range jumper. He just isn't good at it and it needs to stop.

Very happy for Mike. The 3 at the end of the game is one of those moments that will stay with SU fans for a long time and help to define his career at Syracuse. To do it in a game like this, where he faced pressure defense almost all game long, playing 40+ minutes in his third game in six games, was really impressive. The kid is a warrior, and brings the swag, as he promised he would.

I think this was a trap game and getting a game was huge. The team has done a great job staying together and getting better through some serious adversity. It is a tribute to the seniors, the rest of the players and the coaching staff.

Well done everyone.

How in the heck did you come up with those two pictures!! That's awesomely funny!

This is something that drives me crazy in every single college hoops game I watch. I guess youth teams don't run fastbreak drills anymore. We had it drilled into us: the no-dribbling allowed 2-on-1 and 3-on-2 drills, over and over, so that when it happened in a game, everyone knew where they should be and where the teammates should be. Now, they just drive to the hoop, which often means turning a 3-on-2 into a 1-on-2 or a 2-on-1 into a 1-on-1. I'd rather forego the foul and two FTs for an easy bucket, especially with the way this team shoots FTs.

We were so good at this for as long as I can remember. Then Michael Carter-Williams started dribbling his defender into his own teammate and Ennis did the same thing.

I have a hunch that Battle will be better at this.

I agree on the passing part. But we have so much to practice. The defense has really improved the last 2 weeks. And I really like the way the team plays motion offense with everyone curling around the low post to the wing and then sprinting down the lane. They really seem like the team is practicing really good off the ball movement on offense. If you ever coached, and I have, there's so much you have to work on and do. And there's never enough time. Plus you are trying to develop individual player skills and physical conditioning. There's just never enough time to practice everything so you have to pick. And sometimes you have to revisit stuff from a few weeks a ago.

Richardson only struggling inside the line because he continues to take bad shots. When he improves his IQ, he is going to be a monster. I can see him going for 20+ a game next year

how do you improve your iq. i the entire point of iq is its an in born trait

you know what i mean.

for instance - yesterday there was a time he got the ball at the top of the key. he held the ball and then dribbled around for a total of maybe 5 seconds. we ALL knew what he was going to do, he was going to jack up a 3 the second he got his defender off balance. He became ball stopping Melo in the NBA for a second. And predictably clanked a 3 off the iron.

As soon as he realizes his game is unstoppable when he slashes 1st, 2nd and 3rd and shoots 4th, he is going to be super good.

That being said he does have something that he was born with that most are not. BIG BALLS AND ICE COLD BLOOD AT THE END OF THE GAME (just not at the FT line)

I agree on the passing part. But we have so much to practice. The defense has really improved the last 2 weeks. And I really like the way the team plays motion offense with everyone curling around the low post to the wing and then sprinting down the lane. They really seem like the team is practicing really good off the ball movement on offense. If you ever coached, and I have, there's so much you have to work on and do. And there's never enough time. Plus you are trying to develop individual player skills and physical conditioning. There's just never enough time to practice everything so you have to pick. And sometimes you have to revisit stuff from a few weeks a ago.
This was part of our warmups in HS. But, this was something that was drilled well before any of us got to HS. I learned this in 5th grade.

I put How do you improve your IQ in a search engine and got lots of articles about how to do it but whether they are valid I don't know and am not going to read to find out

I think this was really a team win. Everyone made a contribution that was essential to the victory. Roberson's rebounds, Lydon's shots, defense and rebounds, Coleman's defense late, G's all around game, Mal's clutch three, and Cooney's rebound, defense and one clutch three.

hope everybody here who was bitchin' about malachi's early 0-FERS realizes he's now passed cooney in 3 pt%. lydon . (g) . kid can play and cooney.

hope everybody here who was bitchin' about malachi's early 0-FERS realizes he's now passed cooney in 3 pt%. lydon . (g) . kid can play and cooney.
Stay tuned. For a long time Gbinije was near 50%, then slumped badly, and has now regained his deep shot and sits at about 38% Richardson and Cooney each dipped to 30% or below and are now both around 36%. Three volume 3-point shooters, all essentially hitting at the same percentage on the season.

Nice report, but not a "quick one". Oh -- what about the national anthem?
That WAS short ... he left out the Tubas and student section, the NA, opposing fans, replay problems and some explanation as to why the most demonstrative coach in the ACC (maybe the nation) stood blank-faced and took notes most of the game.

We were so good at this for as long as I can remember. Then Michael Carter-Williams started dribbling his defender into his own teammate and Ennis did the same thing.

I have a hunch that Battle will be better at this.

Battle is just better at everything than most players. I guess you could say I think highly of young Tyus. He oozes talent and ability but he is so fundamentally sound.
If he's on a fast break, he could probably blow by his guy or go over him if need be. However, if the sound play is finding a trailer or a wide open teammate for a 3, Tyus will make the right move to help his team.

I am all-in on him being a Syracuse superstar who also is a coach's dream.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom