my two cents | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

You've probably forgotten more about football than ill ever know so i hope you are right. Guys will need to play their best Saturday if we are going to win as Clemson would beat every team we have played going away.
Clemson still has the best roster in the conference. The gap has closed between them and the rest of the league.

They have killed themselves with turnovers and opponent gift points, very much like 96 and 97 here.

SU‘s defense against their OC and Qb is a favorable match for SU, hopefully it can overcome the talent advantage they have. The OL has to play much better to have a chance.

As with any of our games against teams with more stacked rosters, we need to:

- Have the Dome loud
- Win the turnover battle - especially in the red zone
- and minimize our penalties

Trickeration would be a pass to him.
We need to do something to open up next week. Clemson will make Shrader beat them through the air as I'm sure they will spy him. Not sure how we run on them between the tackles as i don't see that at all. Beck has his hands full the next three weeks are going to be very difficult. NOT impossible but we have an uphill climb for sure.

We need to do something to open up next week. Clemson will make Shrader beat them through the air as I'm sure they will spy him. Not sure how we run on them between the tackles as i don't see that at all. Beck has his hands full the next three weeks are going to be very difficult. NOT impossible but we have an uphill climb for sure.

I'd throw him a pass from inside the 3 while faking a Shrader run.

I expect we will see some version of GS doing his hidden ball trick then rolling out and hitting a pass.

Villari outsnapped Mang 48 to 8

He has been throughly outplaying him in the run blocking, pass blocking and recieving areas and looks like he may be tacking full control of the position
I love the kid. Bad ass blocker who gives great effort. Great athlete also.

Dad and I hung at the lake too long and caught the tail end of the gate at Manley. time for one bump and walked over to the dome. Settled into 321 for our group to watch what i had hoped would be a solid showing by our Orange.

Was immediately disappointed that Army didn't bring the cadets in full and didn't travel in the traditional gray uniforms. I remember as a kid getting goose bumps watching the cadets and midshipman and suffice to say everyone in our party was disappointed.

Almost as much as we were throughout the course of the game with our team. I felt that the kids were flat and unprepared. Really disappointed in the base D that Rocky started out with couldn't understand why it took him till half time to realize we need to load the box.

As to the O it was disjointed, never in sync the entire contest. Becks worst game by far. Not sure what he saw that kept him running LA off tackle and yes, he did get a TD and a few chunks runs but it was obvious that the underneath throws were there all game and he very rarely took what was given by Army. Rather he tried to force his will in both the run game and by taking shots down field. Im sure i will take heat for this but i felt it was his worst called game as OC since taking the reins.

Special teams were weak. Other than the kickoffs which are automatic we missed an extra point and almost muffed two punt returns. Pray that Pena is ok going forward as the kid back there now is a turnover waiting to happen. He has talent but he doesn't make good decisions and he is going to cost us.

D pulled it together in the second half and won the game for us. Rocky finally gave in, took away their bread and butter and the game was over. Felt that Bama played well with the limited snaps, Like what the back up LBs did and our D Back field was solid although Army didnt have much of a threat as the WR were average and the QB couldnt find his arse with a flash light.

Not sure what Dino was thinking at the end of the game leaving LA and Shrader in. Let alone running both of them. I mean really. Games over and you are running those two. Crazy and its decisions like this that make me wish he would 100% leave the game day decisions to his staff.

Here are some points based on what i witnessed.

We do not have a back up RB who can win games unless the true frosh gets more run. Hopefully they are saving his games, for the next run because if LA goes down we are in major trouble.

I jones being out is a blow. We are down our top two receivers. We desperately need Pena back. Not sure why Gil and or Long don't get more run but we are hurting in that department.

Glad to see Dan get significant snaps and make a nice play with the catch. Need to see more of him hopefully he is being saved for Clemson.

Going forward i hope that Beck gets his mojo back and is saving some plays for the big boys.

Our D needs to carry us as they are the strength of this team. We need to play with energy and brains next week or we will get destroyed. Hopefully the kids were just flat.

4-0 Next week is huge.

Great write up.

This was what I consider the "leaving the landing strip" game. There is a scene in Varsity Blues were the team goes to the landing strip stays out all night, tries to play the next day and it's a wreck.

Re Pena, I got to be honest, I don't think he's a good WR at all. I love him as a return guy, though.

The biggest goal before this three game run was to have our lineup set and we do not. That's ok --- but we are going to need our D to show up and show out. Our special teams will need to be on point and Shrader is going to have to be super man and not get hurt.

The one thing I will say, even with the Army playcalling on both sides, I think Beck and Rocky are better than the coordinators that we are going to go up against. Clemson has serious issues on the offensive side of the ball with playcalling bc of Dabo basically lording over Riley. Norvell and co have had major issues with playcalling when games are close and I think we flat out can have a better called game than UNC can.

Agree. Seems like Bradford and Bleich have been our beat OL so far.

More might take some PT from Petry but unless someone gets hurt, Ellis is going to have a hard time cracking back into the starting lineup.
I kinda thought the right side blocking has been way better than last few years. We are starting to gel a bit and I wouldn’t change one thing. Bleich is not the best pass blocker. He gets beat it seems cause he is head over toes blocking instead of sitting back and he punches and misses sometimes . Hoping Farmer fixes that before this week. In run game he is tough.

Great point about Villari. Would love to see some trickeration with him this Saturday. We are going to need a handful of explosive plays to win this game.
I was talking to my son about that same exact thing during the game. I'm convinced that Beck has a trick play w/ Villari throwing the ball but won't show it until one of the next three games.

I was talking to my son about that same exact thing during the game. I'm convinced that Beck has a trick play w/ Villari throwing the ball but won't show it until one of the next three games.

I have a feeling we have A LOT of plays we haven’t seen yet

And I have a feeling they’re coming out in the next three weeks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom