My Women's Final Four trip requested by some... | Syracusefan.com

My Women's Final Four trip requested by some...

llandz

Living Legend
I better write about my Women's experience before I forget it all.

Let's start with the first weekend. Actually I should probably start with the Monday before when after confirming (because who ever trusts the NCAA?) that we were indeed going to be home for the first 2 games, I had to make very rush, rush plans. Thankfully we have some airline miles stocked up, and I was able to combine this first trip with a long overdue visit to Toronto to see my son.

Game 1...Arrived at the Dome, and immediately went into Club 44 for the men's game. I was fortunate to meet some people in there who happen to be planning to move to Phoenix (new clients yea!!!). The set up in Club 44 was great for watching the men's games, and all of a sudden I felt so "Syracuse connected" with the amount of cheering going on. The men won, the soda was well priced, and the first part of my experience was perfect. Then I went to my seats (about 3 rows behind the bench and 2 rows in front of Cherie). As we know, I saw a great game, and we easily advanced to the next round...phew. Nothing like travelling and having your reason end too soon. Met some students who had made really cool signs, and mentioned I should have made a sign that I had travelled all the way from AZ. Went back to the hotel where the past SU women basketball players were partying in the bar and they invited me to join them.

Day 2. Spent with Bballbeadle. Shhh we went to a friend's home to cheer on the Duke men's team. Then dinner. Then back to the hotel where I spent more time partying with a couple of past SU women players.

Game 2. I was honored to be invited to sit with the chancellor and his wife for this game. Very honored. Of course I had to behave a bit more. Once again, the women performed well, and we moved on. After the game, the player's friends found me and they handed me a poster they had made for me...Arizona...Cuse with an airplane. It made it back to AZ where it hangs proudly over my desk. It was really so nice of them. Then I was invited to go with Bballbeadle and her family to their men's bball game watch at a very good friend's house. Had a blast. They are a fun, fun group.

Game 3. Now I am in Toronto, and the game is not on there because curling is on instead on the ESPN feed. My son could stream it for me, but did not want to watch women basketball. So I found the sports bar across the street could get it. He ended up coming with me to watch it anyways. That game was awesome!!! Now we are moving on another round. I went back to the hotel to watch the men and somehow managed not to get kicked out for jumping up and down, quietly screaming (yes, there is such a thing). Both teams moving on. Wow. Now I can't sleep so have to go down to the bar at 12:45 for a glass of wine.

Game 4. Easter Sunday. This day I drove back to Syracuse from Toronto. I went to a bar on Erie Blvd. to watch the women and eat "linner" (lunch and dinner in case you need that interpreted). OMG OMG, the women are going to the final four. Can I go??? Nah that would be crazy. I still have to travel back to Phoenix.
Now I am invited once again, to go to Bballbeadle friend's house for the men's game.
Half time of the game, I get the email for women's final tickets, and Fairfax Orange and his wife are texting me that I should come. So I order my tickets. While in the kitchen, the men start coming back. Do I stay in the kitchen, where I was making my plans to go to Indy, or come out? The men are doing better while I am in the kitchen. Oh the decisions. I come out and watch and we really start the turn around. Lots of screaming going on. Back to the hotel. Now I can't sleep again. WE HAVE TWO FINAL FOUR TEAMS!!!
I go back to the hotel and finish my Indy travel plans. Thanks to my husband for those miles...

Indy. I arrive on an incredibly windy day, one where the roof of a restaurant collapsed and killed someone. I had 2 aborted and very turbulent landings, and we had one more try before they would send us elsewhere. We made it into the airport on the 3rd try. Off to quickly check into the hotel, and then to the sports bar for the men's game watch. Ehhh the men's run ends here. But we all realize what a great run it has been. Many of the players were at the sports restaurant eating dinner with their families. Coach Q seem to give them lots of personal time to spend with their families and to enjoy the experience.

Day 2 Indy and Final Four semi final...See I already can't remember. Let me think here. Oh yea. Had breakfast, and then went with Fairfax and his wife to the NCAA experience where we saw Otto in a competition with the other school mascots. Oh, I forgot, my new real estate clients have travelled here also and we had arranged to meet here. Went back to the hotel where I chilled before the women's events as the travel was starting to catch up with me. We had a great pep rally to send the women onto the bus for their game. The pep band, Otto, cheerleaders and about 200 fans and family were there. It was an incredible send off. The players were really surprised with all of the attention. Walked over to the stadium. My seats were jsut behind Fairfax and Mrs. Fairfax, and there were lots of SU fans, family and the alumni women basketball players. Side note...those alumni women players are soooo much fun. We easily won and am on to the finals. WOW!!!! Also once again, thanks that the rest of my trip has a purpose. Late night celebrating went on at the hotel. Players came back to lots of cheers.

Day 3. Just a lot of planning as I was helping out the university. Now everything has to be planned for the final game. Another pep rally, another pre game party. I did some shopping, walking around, and watched the men's game later in the hotel bar. More late night partying, but I cut it at midnight.

National Championship Day and game!!!! Breakfast and then took a nap so I would be ready for the big event. At 2pm we went to get the balloons to decorate the ball room for the pre game party. Then spent a couple of hours doing the decorating. Went up to put on the same game gear. Pep rally was just as awesome, sending the players off. Then we had the pre game party in the ballroom, and I was bused over with the coaches wives and the players families to the game. Unfortunately, the game got off to a rocky start with some really questionable calls, and the girls fell behind too quickly and by too many points. The 16-0 run shows that this team could maybe beat UConn the next time around. I found the ending anti climatic, especially after all of the SU excitement of the past 2 weeks.

Back at the hotel we all felt we should celebrate the season. The families and pep band were anxiously awaiting the players return from the arena. Many of the players came into the bar area, and others did not. Coach Q, Tammi, and the senior players were around the most. The senior players, and Brittany were taking a lot of group photos and trying to make the best of the end of their SU careers. They did a round of shots. It was fun to see the camaraderie with this group. That is why they went so far. I had a couple of little chats with Brittney. I really got the impression this was it for her. Everything about her body language said that. I also had a conversation where I told her I knew she was probably finished, and how much I enjoyed watching her. So when she tweeted that she surprised herself with her decision to come back, I totally got it. Brittney and I had a relationship going back 3 years to when the team came to AZ and we planned the first of many team dinners with donors. She is really the only player that I communicate with. Although now Alexis always comes and gives me a big hug and her Aunt calls me Arizona!! Oh I also talk a lot to Slim as I donated her locker. Her parents and brother were staying in the room next to mine.

Overall, this was an experience of a lifetime for me. This is not the type of trip I can often take as I am not in a financial position to be able to do this on any type of regular basis. Every aspect from sitting with the chancellor to being a part of bballbeadle's family, to interacting with the players, coaches, players families, and the alumni basketball players will be with me for years to come.

Next year the men are in Phoenix. I don't know what I will do if we have a repeat of this year. As the alumni club President for AZ, my duties will be here. But my heart will be with the women.

Next year the men are in Phoenix. I don't know what I will do if we have a repeat of this year. As the alumni club President for AZ, my duties will be here. But my heart will be with the women.

Not sure why, but I really love that. Not my cup of tea, but I watched 5 out of the 6 womens games in the tourney this year plus a few in the ACCT - I sincerely hope there are more like you.

Kudos. And thanks for the recap!

I'm sorry. Did you say something about Duke?
Listen! Some people can't help it where they used to live and work and who their friends are. And I always have my friends' backs (unless they're playing Syracuse).

Linda, that was a great write up! You wore your heart on your sleeve for our women's team the entire time I was with you. I am definitely going to catch their games next year. We have to find a way to reward the team and coach Q for their hard work and success, which hopefully will land us some good recruits and we can keep it going.

See you in Phoenix, Linda! Ha ha ha!

I better write about my Women's experience before I forget it all.

Let's start with the first weekend. Actually I should probably start with the Monday before when after confirming (because who ever trusts the NCAA?) that we were indeed going to be home for the first 2 games, I had to make very rush, rush plans. Thankfully we have some airline miles stocked up, and I was able to combine this first trip with a long overdue visit to Toronto to see my son.

Game 1...Arrived at the Dome, and immediately went into Club 44 for the men's game. I was fortunate to meet some people in there who happen to be planning to move to Phoenix (new clients yea!!!). The set up in Club 44 was great for watching the men's games, and all of a sudden I felt so "Syracuse connected" with the amount of cheering going on. The men won, the soda was well priced, and the first part of my experience was perfect. Then I went to my seats (about 3 rows behind the bench and 2 rows in front of Cherie). As we know, I saw a great game, and we easily advanced to the next round...phew. Nothing like travelling and having your reason end too soon. Met some students who had made really cool signs, and mentioned I should have made a sign that I had travelled all the way from AZ. Went back to the hotel where the past SU women basketball players were partying in the bar and they invited me to join them.

Day 2. Spent with Bballbeadle. Shhh we went to a friend's home to cheer on the Duke men's team. Then dinner. Then back to the hotel where I spent more time partying with a couple of past SU women players.

Game 2. I was honored to be invited to sit with the chancellor and his wife for this game. Very honored. Of course I had to behave a bit more. Once again, the women performed well, and we moved on. After the game, the player's friends found me and they handed me a poster they had made for me...Arizona...Cuse with an airplane. It made it back to AZ where it hangs proudly over my desk. It was really so nice of them. Then I was invited to go with Bballbeadle and her family to their men's bball game watch at a very good friend's house. Had a blast. They are a fun, fun group.

Game 3. Now I am in Toronto, and the game is not on there because curling is on instead on the ESPN feed. My son could stream it for me, but did not want to watch women basketball. So I found the sports bar across the street could get it. He ended up coming with me to watch it anyways. That game was awesome!!! Now we are moving on another round. I went back to the hotel to watch the men and somehow managed not to get kicked out for jumping up and down, quietly screaming (yes, there is such a thing). Both teams moving on. Wow. Now I can't sleep so have to go down to the bar at 12:45 for a glass of wine.

Game 4. Easter Sunday. This day I drove back to Syracuse from Toronto. I went to a bar on Erie Blvd. to watch the women and eat "linner" (lunch and dinner in case you need that interpreted). OMG OMG, the women are going to the final four. Can I go??? Nah that would be crazy. I still have to travel back to Phoenix.
Now I am invited once again, to go to Bballbeadle friend's house for the men's game.
Half time of the game, I get the email for women's final tickets, and Fairfax Orange and his wife are texting me that I should come. So I order my tickets. While in the kitchen, the men start coming back. Do I stay in the kitchen, where I was making my plans to go to Indy, or come out? The men are doing better while I am in the kitchen. Oh the decisions. I come out and watch and we really start the turn around. Lots of screaming going on. Back to the hotel. Now I can't sleep again. WE HAVE TWO FINAL FOUR TEAMS!!!
I go back to the hotel and finish my Indy travel plans. Thanks to my husband for those miles...

Indy. I arrive on an incredibly windy day, one where the roof of a restaurant collapsed and killed someone. I had 2 aborted and very turbulent landings, and we had one more try before they would send us elsewhere. We made it into the airport on the 3rd try. Off to quickly check into the hotel, and then to the sports bar for the men's game watch. Ehhh the men's run ends here. But we all realize what a great run it has been. Many of the players were at the sports restaurant eating dinner with their families. Coach Q seem to give them lots of personal time to spend with their families and to enjoy the experience.

Day 2 Indy and Final Four semi final...See I already can't remember. Let me think here. Oh yea. Had breakfast, and then went with Fairfax and his wife to the NCAA experience where we saw Otto in a competition with the other school mascots. Oh, I forgot, my new real estate clients have travelled here also and we had arranged to meet here. Went back to the hotel where I chilled before the women's events as the travel was starting to catch up with me. We had a great pep rally to send the women onto the bus for their game. The pep band, Otto, cheerleaders and about 200 fans and family were there. It was an incredible send off. The players were really surprised with all of the attention. Walked over to the stadium. My seats were jsut behind Fairfax and Mrs. Fairfax, and there were lots of SU fans, family and the alumni women basketball players. Side note...those alumni women players are soooo much fun. We easily won and am on to the finals. WOW!!!! Also once again, thanks that the rest of my trip has a purpose. Late night celebrating went on at the hotel. Players came back to lots of cheers.

Day 3. Just a lot of planning as I was helping out the university. Now everything has to be planned for the final game. Another pep rally, another pre game party. I did some shopping, walking around, and watched the men's game later in the hotel bar. More late night partying, but I cut it at midnight.

National Championship Day and game!!!! Breakfast and then took a nap so I would be ready for the big event. At 2pm we went to get the balloons to decorate the ball room for the pre game party. Then spent a couple of hours doing the decorating. Went up to put on the same game gear. Pep rally was just as awesome, sending the players off. Then we had the pre game party in the ballroom, and I was bused over with the coaches wives and the players families to the game. Unfortunately, the game got off to a rocky start with some really questionable calls, and the girls fell behind too quickly and by too many points. The 16-0 run shows that this team could maybe beat UConn the next time around. I found the ending anti climatic, especially after all of the SU excitement of the past 2 weeks.

Back at the hotel we all felt we should celebrate the season. The families and pep band were anxiously awaiting the players return from the arena. Many of the players came into the bar area, and others did not. Coach Q, Tammi, and the senior players were around the most. The senior players, and Brittany were taking a lot of group photos and trying to make the best of the end of their SU careers. They did a round of shots. It was fun to see the camaraderie with this group. That is why they went so far. I had a couple of little chats with Brittney. I really got the impression this was it for her. Everything about her body language said that. I also had a conversation where I told her I knew she was probably finished, and how much I enjoyed watching her. So when she tweeted that she surprised herself with her decision to come back, I totally got it. Brittney and I had a relationship going back 3 years to when the team came to AZ and we planned the first of many team dinners with donors. She is really the only player that I communicate with. Although now Alexis always comes and gives me a big hug and her Aunt calls me Arizona!! Oh I also talk a lot to Slim as I donated her locker. Her parents and brother were staying in the room next to mine.

Overall, this was an experience of a lifetime for me. This is not the type of trip I can often take as I am not in a financial position to be able to do this on any type of regular basis. Every aspect from sitting with the chancellor to being a part of bballbeadle's family, to interacting with the players, coaches, players families, and the alumni basketball players will be with me for years to come.

Did you happen to meet Felisha Legette? All-American at Nottingham. Played for SU from '84 to '88. Currently head coach at University of Buffalo. We graduated together from both high school and SU...

I saw her in the alumni crowd at Indy...

Our whole family got into the Women this year. They are really fun to watch...

Did you happen to meet Felisha Legette? All-American at Nottingham. Played for SU from '84 to '88. Currently head coach at University of Buffalo. We graduated together from both high school and SU...

I saw her in the alumni crowd at Indy...

Our whole family got into the Women this year. They are really fun to watch...
I sure did. Loved her. She gave a pre-game group "prayer" before game one (in the hotel bar, lol) that was awesome and inspirational. About 40 alum players, family members and fans all holding hands in a circle. Best pre game anything I ever heard. Very nice person.

I sure did. Loved her. She gave a pre-game group "prayer" before game one (in the hotel bar, lol) that was awesome and inspirational. About 40 alum players, family members and fans all holding hands in a circle. Best pre game anything I ever heard. Very nice person.

Sat next to her in 10th grade English...been a fan ever since...she won two state championships at Nottingham...she was quite a player...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom