Naheem McLeod Transferring to Syracuse (5/15/23) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Naheem McLeod Transferring to Syracuse (5/15/23)

Basically been our center recruiting for about a decade now. Just grabbing as many lottery tickets as possible and hoping to hit on one.

... like we did with Jesse? ;)

At least now we're not hamstrung needing our 5 to be able to hold down the middle of the zone, while also covering the corner 3. :rolleyes:

(because of certain other former players not being able to do the latter)

Dude is tall, pretty athletic, not a beanpole, and at least has some P5 experience.

Not a terrible Plan B after losing Jesse.
(and likely never really having a legit shot at Dickinson)

1684176115734.gif

A center who actually dunks the ball

... like we did with Jesse? ;)

At least now we're not hamstrung needing our 5 to be able to hold down the middle of the zone, while also covering the corner 3. :rolleyes:

(because of certain other former players not being able to do the latter)

Dude is tall, pretty athletic, not a beanpole, and at least has some P5 experience.

Not a terrible Plan B after losing Jesse.
(and likely never really having a legit shot at Dickinson)
Jesse certainly was a hit. But for every Jesse there are 3 or 4 Obokoh's. Guess that's why I'm fine with grabbing as many as possible. It's the only real way to find one because the dudes that are 7 foot and 250 lbs with offensive ability aren't trying to play school.

This going to be a "you got a role/job, now do your job" team. Clan McLeod...He is the ONE! Blocks, rebounds and thunderous dunks for 8/9 points a game 3 blocks a game and 9/10 rebounds per game.
I would kind of guess he's going to be a modern Jeremy McNeil for us. Dunks, Blocks, Boards and Fouls. Capable of putting up 5 of any or all in any 20 min span.

I think The Highlander is a decent pickup, at our greatest position of need. The team went into the transfer season expecting Edwards to stick around, leaving a hole in the middle.

McLeod fills that hole with size and length. He will be both the tallest and heaviest player on our roster, at a svelte 250lbs.

Every player has pros and cons. McLeod is no exception, as you can see potential and also reasons for concern.

I like that he dunks everything he can. Unfortunately, I think that is because his coaches got very sick of him missing layups. A 7'4" guy who never shoots from even 5ft away shouldn't average 57% on his shots like the Highlander did last year. In his freshman season, McLeod shot a more likeable 73%. Looking at this highlight, it feels like his offensive rebounding numbers are inflated by his own missing of bunnies. Still, he dunks, a lot.

McLeod is good at catching alley oops. Several times he's contorted his body a bit to get to the ball and get it into the basket. He's not going to do something like Roberson's famous Duke alley oop, but he isn't going to drop them out of bounds, either. Only 1.7 turnovers per 40 in conference play. He also seems to have good decision making on bringing it down and going back up. He should be helpful in punishing double teams when our perimeter guys get into the lane.

He's decent at cutting to the basket, either in the half court or as the trailer on the break. When he gets it, he goes right up to dunk, no messing around. After years of guys dribbling when they should have been dunking, McLeod will be refreshing.

McLeod is pretty good at blocking shots, but not Edwards good. He averaged 3.2 per 40 in ACC play last year. What he does very well is not fouling. I've heard conditioning limits his playing time, but the Highlander doesn't take himself out of games with foul trouble. He seems to use his long arms to contest shots without jumping much a lot of the time, which decreases blocks and fouls alike. Still, he's pretty intimidating inside.

I'm worried about his rebounding... He only got 8 boards per 40 and that includes however many of his own missed bunnies he rebounded. Hopefully he gets better, but being as big as he is, it feels like he's not a natural rebounder. If we are playing three guards, this has me worried.

I'm glad we have him... Hima and McLeod should be able to hold down the middle, with Carey and Patterson available in case of emergency. (Carey may be a tall forward at heart anyway.) Seeing how McLeod played against us last year gives me some heart. I think we won't get boss squirreled with him playing, unlike so often in the past. I hope he can make it to campus soon, so these guys can form a team before practice starts.

Last edited:
I don’t think he’ll be much of a drop off especially going away from the zone. You can’t teach size and we don’t need consistent scoring just a couple big plays per game and him to throw off the other teams best big.

Just bring back Mintz and we are in great shape.

Jake is a notorious tease.

Ask any girl from Oswego to Binghampton, Auburn to Utica.
I didn't realize that many women were interested in potential Syracuse point guards.

No it isnt. It shows that our staff has the ability to help players improve.
Laughable. We’ve been on the bubble for a decade. We’ve had way more guys who’ve not improved than did.

One discussion point that I was just pondering to consider...yeah, Naheem's stats aren't huge from 2022-23, and FSU was not good. But Hamilton plays a deep bench. Plus, take a look at his sophomore stats and compare them to Jesse's...Jesse made a huge leap as a junior, and maybe Naheem can, too. I get the skepticism, but there's promise there, too!
So should we field a team of awful sophomore seasoned players? Just because one team player had a jump doesn’t mean it’s a rule.

Thats not fun...you are supposed to cry and complain. Thats the Syracuse way.
Or have irrational optimism. Miss the hotel bookings for the final four posts.

At the very least his highlights show he can dunk with authority, a trait in a big man Cuse fans of the last decade should not take for granted. Also seems to know how to block shots without bringing his hands down.
Let's give the staff a chance to see what they can do with this behemoth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom