Name, Image, Likeness | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Name, Image, Likeness

the elite 8 is currently P5 and Gonzaga.
Clemson, Ohio State, and/or Alabama are in the champ game every year in football.

the idea that this is about fairness is so laughable. Is the current system fair to SUNY Albany right now vs us? Or does that not matter?

not even sure what all that means in regards to my post.

why do you care about fairness? You don’t now.

thats what it means in regards to your post

yea ok.

I’m fine with it. It’s the right thing to do. Football especially is already boring AF and only 3 teams can compete for titles anyway. It’s not going to make a difference. Basketball has much lower scholarship limits. Nobody is going to Kentucky or Duke just to sit the bench and earn booster money. They will transfer like we are seeing now.

I’m fine with it. It’s the right thing to do. Football especially is already boring AF and only 3 teams can compete for titles anyway. It’s not going to make a difference. Basketball has much lower scholarship limits. Nobody is going to Kentucky or Duke just to sit the bench and earn booster money. They will transfer like we are seeing now.

it won’t be just Kentucky and Duke. It’ll be whomever has rich donors willing to give it away if legal. One side benefit of it though will be that fans won’t be able to complain about recruiting unless they’re spending their own money to help with the process. Hopefully we have enough big donors to keep us competitive.

it won’t be just Kentucky and Duke. It’ll be whomever has rich donors willing to give it away if legal. One side benefit of it though will be that fans won’t be able to complain about recruiting unless they’re spending their own money to help with the process. Hopefully we have enough big donors to keep us competitive.

Some of the schools with the richest donors are Ivy's. They don't care about sports at all after we saw this year.

Some of the schools with the richest donors are Ivy's. They don't care about sports at all after we saw this year.

thats true too. But there are many schools with rich donors who aren’t any of the usual suspects of handing out “bags” already. We have some too. I’m thinking of one guy in particular.

If not, c'est la vie. Something shouldn't continue just because it was always done one way.

I'm not ok with the way the system is now (and that's just my opinion).

But there isn't fairness now. It's just that we're up there in the pecking order as it's structured at the moment.

If it's changed to making it more fair and we slip a little (even though, let's be real, we have been slipping already), then maybe we were willfully ignorant to the way things were because it benefited us.

I've been happy to look away from a lot of the ills in high major D1 sports in my Syracuse fandom, both as an upstater and as a student at SU. And, I'll be real, you learn A LOT about what the athletes think when you are at the school.

"Hi, I'm XXXX XXXX and I love shredding the competition on the court! Almost as much as I love taking my scrap to Upstate Schredding!"

thats true too. But there are many schools with rich donors who aren’t any of the usual suspects of handing out “bags” already. We have some too. I’m thinking of one guy in particular.

Agreed. I just don’t think it’s the disaster people see it becoming. Guys want to play too. Gone are the days of UNC having 10 McDonald’s All Americans on their roster. Those guys aren’t waiting their turn anymore. That’s just for basketball.

The balance of power in football cannot get any worse than it already is.

If not, c'est la vie. Something shouldn't continue just because it was always done one way.

I'm not ok with the way the system is now (and that's just my opinion).

But there isn't fairness now. It's just that we're up there in the pecking order as it's structured at the moment.

If it's changed to making it more fair and we slip a little (even though, let's be real, we have been slipping already), then maybe we were willfully ignorant to the way things were because it benefited us.

I've been happy to look away from a lot of the ills in high major D1 sports in my Syracuse fandom, both as an upstater and as a student at SU. And, I'll be real, you learn A LOT about what the athletes think when you are at the school.

I don’t have a major issue with it, and neither does JB. But there has to be some control over it. It’s bad enough that some schools are handing out “bags” now illegally for the top players. It would suck if it was a free for all and the highest bidders of boosters are grabbing players even further down the line.

I don’t have a major issue with it, and neither does JB. But there has to be some control over it. It’s bad enough that some schools are handing out “bags” now illegally for the top players. It would suck if it was a free for all and the highest bidders of boosters are grabbing players even further down the line.

Yeah, but say they do that and that guy never plays. Said booster will stop paying and said player will want to transfer for not playing.

OK, I can agree with a lot of that. TBH - I have no faith in the NCAA, as an org, to properly control it.

I think we all can agree that the NCAA isn't an ideal snapshot of organizational competency.

I think there are two things to help:
1) to your point, there will likely have to be some sort of cap/process.
2) The NBA, once it lifts its HS ban and matures the G-League, should be able to peel off the top 10-20 players. All of a sudden, I think there will be a lot less heart to pay the 50th best player in the country versus the 5th.

I'll be honest I never really had super strong feelings about this topic until a few years ago. Eventually though, the sheer amount of money being made by coaches, schools, tv, Nike, etc., made me question how fair the system was. Then I watched the HBO Documentary "Student Athlete". It was pretty eye-opening and pretty shocking. A lot of the perks the "but they get a scholarship" crowd point to are illusory at best.

I don't care if this helps or hurts Syracuse. It's the right thing to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom