National Recruiting Sites Are A Joke | Syracusefan.com

National Recruiting Sites Are A Joke

BVille44

All Conference
Does anyone else find it interesting that on 12/6/23, after it is announced that 4-star WR Jaylan Hornsby has decided to take an official visit to SU, his Rivals in state/national rankings drop and he is now a 3-star recruit.

That is a great way to make sure Fran Brown’s first class gets a lower recruiting rank nationally than it should and keeps the narrative going that no one can recruit players to SU.

IMG_7414.jpeg

Last edited:
A couple of years back, in my Football preview, I noted the star rating of each player coming out of his schools and virtually all our players had three stars, even the best ones. Some recruited that were supposed to be highly rated had 3 stars. Half jokingly, I added "and if he'd gone to Penn State, he'd have 4 stars", if he'd gone to Clemson he'd have 4 stars", etc.

Mike McAllister on orange nation, responding to my question in the chatroom, said that a 5 star projects as a 1st rounder in the NFL draft, a 4 star would be a 2nd or third rounder and a 3 star would be beyond that or a free agent. We have way more 3 stars than we have low draft picks and free agents. And we've had some guys drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round and occasionally some first rounders.

Isn’t there like 300 4-stars each year? I’ve only got 10 fingers but I’m pretty sure there’s not 300 guys drafted in the second and third rounds. But whatever they need to say to make themselves feel good about adjusting ratings according to how much money that fan base brings their site.

I’m pretty confident these were are position rankings updates - which would be done by national analysts. So that tells you all you need to know. Look at who was upgraded and I bet they’re primarily SEC targets or commits.

They do this with kids like this because they think they can get away with it.

That's why Joe Namath's high school magazine went out of business back in the late 60s. Early on he and his "scouts" saw that ranking 1 through 5 all the players was an impossible subjective pipe dream. Integrity won out. I know I was there.

He changed programs and got hurt.
Did that happen in the last week? Did that make him shorter? Did that make him less capable of catching passes? Did A&M pull his scholarship?

Then it's just a thin veil of rationalization.

They can try to drop King all they want; his quick speed and nasty swim move is going to wreck havok in the ACC. His ability to create pressure is ridiculous.

Admittedly I haven’t seen a lot of tape on Hornsby yet but I’m not surprised.. bunch of haters.

The Wiltfong article about us is the first time in YEARS that we've had any sort of front page, national article on one of the sites. Huge step forward.
Yeah, it's hard to ignore what's happening here, even just what happened here this weekend alone. Even though some media sites/members are trying to. But now that this snowball is rolling, it's only going to get harder for them to deny.

A couple of years back, in my Football preview, I noted the star rating of each player coming out of his schools and virtually all our players had three stars, even the best ones. Some recruited that were supposed to be highly rated had 3 stars. Half jokingly, I added "and if he'd gone to Penn State, he'd have 4 stars", if he'd gone to Clemson he'd have 4 stars", etc.

Mike McAllister on orange nation, responding to my question in the chatroom, said that a 5 star projects as a 1st rounder in the NFL draft, a 4 star would be a 2nd or third rounder and a 3 star would be beyond that or a free agent. We have way more 3 stars than we have low draft picks and free agents. And we've had some guys drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round and occasionally some first rounders.
I believe they bring up the stat every Super Bowl that a majority of the players were three stars. The people that rank are just speculating on future potential. Some live up to expectations must do not. Also if the people doing the evaluations were that good they would be nfl scouts not working for 247.

I believe they bring up the stat every Super Bowl that a majority of the players were three stars. The people that rank are just speculating on future potential. Some live up to expectations must do not. Also if the people doing the evaluations were that good they would be nfl scouts not working for 247.

I think the stat is that there are more two stars in the game than any other star rating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom