NBA 2017-2018 thread | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2017-2018 thread

I have to imagine people have been whining about calls for as long as there have been calls being made. Every single game is on tv now so everything gets dissected a million ways from Sunday

You're right, I heard Doc Naismith was notorious for giving the refs a hard time. :)

LeBron is the first social media hoops superstar. Jordan, with all his personal foibles, woulda been on TMZ and social media platforms galore, mighta killed his shoe salesman career. Everything is recorded, examined, scrutinized, analyzed. I loved Ali, I'm happy social media wasn't even a term when he was king of the world, the hatred and vitriol would've been intolerable.

As for LeBron, embrace the game and greatness, I say, the talent level in the NBA has never been greater, so many good players, so many great youngsters from around the world.

Worst thing is, he's the only one in the NBA who does.

He might've been raising the issue of why he got a T. The entire sequence began when Frankie slammed into LeBron and, after a shove or two more, realized it was futile, LBJ didn't move a centimeter, Frankie just bounced right off him. End of that experiment.

Then Kanter, figuring he'd try to get him a piece of LeBron, stuck his face in LeBron's, their noses might've been touching. LeBron exercised pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty impressive restraint letting Kanter stick his face an inch from his ... who knows what Enes had to eat, who knows if he flosses or brushes properly.

LBJ got a T 'cause one guy tried futilely to push him away, then another, bigger dude rushed in and got in his face and tried to intimidate him,. I guess, or play to the crowd. LeBron did respond, laying a whole lotta smack on Kanter, maybe some "bad words" that got him a technical.

LeBron makes faces a lot after calls -- or non-calls -- but he's far, far from being unique in that regard (Jordan, Bird, Steph Curry, Draymond, dare I say Carmelo, on and on and on). And a lotta time you see James talking to the refs during a break, like he did with Tony Brothers at one point last night, and you see there's a professional camaraderie, they appear to be more acquaintances and allies than foes. They know each other well, can reasonably talk to each other, they're all part of the same show biz machine.

As to your very first point, I never said that or intimated it. Many others do it as well. Just seems like he's the current 'king' of whining.

As to the rest, he put his hands on kanter first. I'm guessing that's the likely reason he picked up the t.

Lebron def told Kanter to get the " " out of his face. One of the benefits of sitting as close as I did.

Really, the entire sequence began when Lebron was talking about Dennis Smith.

Funny, I just realized this, but Lebron made those comments to take a shot at Phil; but this entire thing, with the comments to tweak guys on another team, are 100% right out of the Phil Jackson playbook.

Good point about the Phil playbook. And you're right, without question, it started Saturday night after the Cavs played Dallas and an impressive Dennis Smith, and two nights before they played Phil's old team. It was funny seeing cute little Frankie trying to budge and intimidate LeBron. Then in came the cavalry and Commander Kanter made like he was gonna go all medieval on LBJ. How'd that turn out?

If all LeBron said was "get the you-know-what outta my face," is that technical-worthy? Pretty good discipline, I'd say. I have Kanter pegged as having sardine breath.

BTW, when it happened, I wasn't thrilled with Isaiah running onto the court and getting a T, but looking back, no harm as far as the outcome, I'm, diggin' it. I'm a lifelong short person and I have a special affection for short people who have such special game that they can survive in the NBA.

He was so excited, like a little kid, on the sidelines when LeBron drilled that dagger over 'Zinger. So looking forward to seeing Isaiah in the lineup, maybe next month, Gotta get him going before the Cavs go to Boston Jan. 3.

Last edited:
Good point about the Phil playbook. And you're right, without question, it started Saturday night after the Cavs played Dallas and an impressive Dennis Smith, and two nights before they played Phil's old team. It was funny seeing cute little Frankie trying to budge and intimidate LeBron. Then in came the cavalry and Commander Kanter made like he was gonna go all medieval on LBJ. How'd that turn out?

If all LeBron said was "get the you-know-what outta my face," is that technical-worthy? Pretty good discipline, I'd say. I have Kanter pegged as having sardine breath.

BTW, when it happened, I wasn't thrilled with Isaiah running onto the court and getting a T, but looking back, no harm as far as the outcome, I'm, diggin' it. I'm a lifelong short person and I have a special affection for short people who have such special game that they can survive in the NBA.

He was so excited, like a little kid, on the sidelines when LeBron drilled that dagger over 'Zinger. So looking forward to seeing Isaiah in the lineup, maybe next month, Gotta get him going before the Cavs go to Boston Jan. 3.

You did see the part where he shoved Kanter out of the way, right? Not seeing the 'discipline' you're seeing...

Lebron def told Kanter to get the " " out of his face. One of the benefits of sitting as close as I did.

Really, the entire sequence began when Lebron was talking about Dennis Smith.

Funny, I just realized this, but Lebron made those comments to take a shot at Phil; but this entire thing, with the comments to tweak guys on another team, are 100% right out of the Phil Jackson playbook.
I think LeBron made the comments to take a shot at Phil but also because he's bored and wanted a more interesting trip to NYC.

I think LeBron made the comments to take a shot at Phil but also because he's bored and wanted a more interesting trip to NYC.

Well, he certainly got that.

He also took another shot at Phil last night, said he liked Hornacek as a coach and now that "the old fella" is gone he likes the way Hornacek has them playing.

I don't think Kanter, Frankie, or Lebron did much. I really don't. Was an interesting exchange but not much there, LeBron punked him a little, Frankie was like alright dude enough of the BS and get out of my face, Kanter being team/ glue guy that he is, defended the rook which was great and then LeBron being one of the best ever, looked at Kanter and said, " get the F out of my face" as he should. All 3 responded appropriately, IMO and was glad it didn't escalate any further, no deep seeded vitrol just 3 guys competing and playing sport at the highest level. Good stuff

I am a Knicks fan and really enjoy watching this team. Also enjoy LeBron's shots at Phil, I find them very amusing

I don't think Kanter, Frankie, or Lebron did much. I really don't. Was an interesting exchange but not much there, LeBron punked him a little, Frankie was like alright dude enough of the BS and get out of my face, Kanter being team/ glue guy that he is, defended the rook which was great and then LeBron being one of the best ever, looked at Kanter and said, " get the out of my face" as he should. All 3 responded appropriately, IMO and was glad it didn't escalate any further, no deep seeded vitrol just 3 guys competing and playing sport at the highest level. Good stuff

I am a Knicks fan and really enjoy watching this team. Also enjoy LeBron's shots at Phil, I find them very amusing

The whole thing was fantastic and took the intensity of the game up about 3 notches.

Don't forget Kanter and Lebron were exchanging words before the game; that whole scenario was both extremely predictable and also extremely awesome.

The whole thing was fantastic and took the intensity of the game up about 3 notches.

Don't forget Kanter and Lebron were exchanging words before the game; that whole scenario was both extremely predictable and also extremely awesome.

Agree 100% was it was great. Great NBA game. Between the pregame stuff and shots at Phil, the train ride, the little blow up, the 3 point shot and comeback win, LeBron definitely had an eventful little stint in NY... Well orchestrated. LeBron definitely picks his moments during the regular season, not like he's rolling into Carolina with this type stuff.

Looking forward to Warriors Celtics Thursday. Jazz/ Knicks tomorrow, haven't seen a lot of Mitchell with the Jazz but he seems to be another rookie many are high on.

Agree 100% was it was great. Great NBA game. Between the pregame stuff and shots at Phil, the train ride, the little blow up, the 3 point shot and comeback win, LeBron definitely had an eventful little stint in NY... Well orchestrated. LeBron definitely picks his moments during the regular season, not like he's rolling into Carolina with this type stuff.

Looking forward to Warriors Celtics Thursday. Jazz/ Knicks tomorrow, haven't seen a lot of Mitchell with the Jazz but he seems to be another rookie many are high on.

The NBA, Greatest Show on Earth

Harden takes what 5 steps?
It's hard to tell without slowing it down, but it looked like 3 steps to me. I'm guessing the refs viewed that first step as being in time with his gather, so therefore, it isn't a travel.

Or they simply didn't notice haha.

Edit: Looking at it a little more slowed down here, I actually think it's a legitimate move:

Had the celtics -7 last night, anyone see the end of the game?

It was 6.5 in the afternoon but I waited till closer to tip. Gotta love gambling.

Had the celtics -7 last night, anyone see the end of the game?

It was 6.5 in the afternoon but I waited till closer to tip. Gotta love gambling.
Corner 3 to end the game.
Atleast you got your money back and didn’t lose.

Corner 3 to end the game.
Atleast you got your money back and didn’t lose.

Yeah after Tatum had a steal up 9 and the Nets for some reason decided to foul, and he split the ft! What a sequence of events.

It's hard to tell without slowing it down, but it looked like 3 steps to me. I'm guessing the refs viewed that first step as being in time with his gather, so therefore, it isn't a travel.

Or they simply didn't notice haha.

Edit: Looking at it a little more slowed down here, I actually think it's a legitimate move:

I concur, legit.

Yeah after Tatum had a steal up 9 and the Nets for some reason decided to foul, and he split the ft! What a sequence of events.

I placed my first sports bet with a bookie in the early '70s and I was amazed then and am amazed till this day how freakin' close or spot-on the oddsmakers consistently appear to be. 'Tis eerie.

A buddy had the Cavs minus 5 vs. the Knicks the other night. They come back from 23 down and are up 3 with seconds remaining. LeBron, who says he's set out to improve his ft percentage, is at the foul line to give my buddy a push. LBJ, who came into the game making 82% of his free throws this season and was 7-for-8 against the Knicks, misses both free throws -- and then gets the rebound and misses a putback at the buzzer. Cavs by 3, my buddy loses bet.

I swore off sports gambling awhile ago, along with cocaine and amphetamines. They're all part of the same family. However, I did come outta retirement to put down 2 hunge on the Cavs to win it all. I'm already thinking of ways to spend the grand I'll get for that wager. :)

Warriors 11-3 at Celtics 13-2 tomorrow.
Vegas doesn’t respect Boston as the Warriors are -7 in this game.
TNT got a good one.
Charles Barkley called the Celtics medicore after their last TNT game.
I wonder what he will say.
Celtics can earn respect nationally with a win.
I still take Cleveland right now but the Celtics could win mid 50s right now with how bad the East is.

A buddy of mine who is a Lakers fan said the Celtics could be like the Spurs of the East the next decade always competitive but unless Tatum or Brown develop into a top 10 player they wouldn’t get over the hump and win it all.
Btw read this blasphemy article I read.
Why Celtics Jaylen Brown is the next Kobe Bryant in the NBA

I think Brown is a future multiple time all-Star but he isn’t Kobe.

I placed my first sports bet with a bookie in the early '70s and I was amazed then and am amazed till this day how freakin' close or spot-on the oddsmakers consistently appear to be. 'Tis eerie.

A buddy had the Cavs minus 5 vs. the Knicks the other night. They come back from 23 down and are up 3 with seconds remaining. LeBron, who says he's set out to improve his ft percentage, is at the foul line to give my buddy a push. LBJ, who came into the game making 82% of his free throws this season and was 7-for-8 against the Knicks, misses both free throws -- and then gets the rebound and misses a putback at the buzzer. Cavs by 3, my buddy loses bet.

I swore off sports gambling awhile ago, along with cocaine and amphetamines. They're all part of the same family. However, I did come outta retirement to put down 2 hunge on the Cavs to win it all. I'm already thinking of ways to spend the grand I'll get for that wager. :)

There was definitely a guy sweating the Knicks-Cavs game on Monday night that I noticed as I was leaving the game. I saw the +5 before the game, couldn't bring myself to take it.

Jaylen Brown and Kobe Bryant; that's a comp I didnt think I'd ever see.

There was definitely a guy sweating the Knicks-Cavs game on Monday night that I noticed as I was leaving the game. I saw the +5 before the game, couldn't bring myself to take it.

Jaylen Brown and Kobe Bryant; that's a comp I didnt think I'd ever see.
Brown is good but he isn’t going to be an MVP and top 10 player alltime.

Brown could get close to Kwahi IMO.
If he keeps developing offensively. As I think Brown’s defense is already getting up there and he is a freak athlete.

Brown is good but he isn’t going to be an MVP and top 10 player alltime.

Brown could get close to Kwahi IMO.
If he keeps developing offensively. As I think Brown’s defense is already getting up there and he is a freak athlete.

That's an extremely bold take!

We'll see, Brown is pretty good but Kawhi Leonard is freaking awesome. Also, when he is coming back?

Frankie has strong upside, yada yada, way too soon to say the Knicks -- and some others -- messed up passing on this Dennis Smith, but, if we're talking ready-for-primetime and immediate impact, I'd have to see this soon-to-be 20-year-old would look pretty, pretty, pretty good in a Knicks uni.

Frankie has strong upside, yada yada, way too soon to say the Knicks -- and some others -- messed up passing on this Dennis Smith, but, if we're talking ready-for-primetime and immediate impact, I'd have to see this soon-to-be 20-year-old would look pretty, pretty, pretty good in a Knicks uni.

Smith is super flashy. He's also shooting 40% from the field and doesn't play any defense. The Mavs are terrible, I'm sure he'll put up decent counting numbers for them, but I wouldn't trade Frank for him right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom