NC State Postgame Thoughts 2 | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Postgame Thoughts 2

Our 3 man offense, which we ran 75% or more in the 2nd half, is frustrating. Bell in one corner and JJ or Q or Taylor in the other. Brown and the other two guards up top with Brown setting screens trying to create a driving lane for the ball handler. It might be more successful if we kicked out of the drives once in awhile.
.....I need to defer to the basketball experts but it really neuters any offense that benefits us!!!!

He has a concussion. You don't put a band aid on that.

Yeah, but the longer he's out, the worse it sounds. Serious concussions have DQ'd players for us in the past.

They face guarded him with 2 bigger more athletic forwards, so he wouldn't have open "catch and shoot" opportunities.
...ok, so it is like a chess game. They neutralize one of our pieces then we should be able to counter with another strong piece! What happened? Was it the coaches or the players? I have an opinion but what is yours?????

Wow.........No doubt Cope was the stud. His fast break dunk and that under the basket scoop shot......dramatic plays. His D at the end. He also lead us in rebounds and blocks. Outstanding !!! How does he only get 26 minutes ???? He has shown how well he can drive and score, I dont know why we see very little of that in some outings. I love Cope and want him to show that he is our best player every game from here on out, because he is that guy.

Too much criticism of Judah. He fought for 15 in the second half when our O was only Cope and him. He should have had at least 20 in the half if the refs actually called some fouls on even half the time that he was hacked going to the hole. He made the big shot when they got their nose out front & he sealed with the two freebies.

Was shocked to see the rebound stats only had us down 2 - it felt like down 10.

Enough said about Bell in other threads, They adjusted after the half and since he cant create for himself he was shut down. Guards were criticized for not getting him the ball in the second half, but he has got to want it and he has to present himself. He does also have a nice pullup J, he needs to show that he wants the ball and he needs to take that shot.

Reffing was bad throughout, but evened up a bit at crunch time.

...ok, so it is like a chess game. They neutralize one of our pieces then we should be able to counter with another strong piece! What happened? Was it the coaches or the players? I have an opinion but what is yours?????

One guard in particular is less likely to give up the ball. But if Bell isn't hitting 3's, basically our entire offense is Maliq Brown setting picks for 1 of 3 guards to drive around.

And of the 3 ball handling guards, only Quadir really looks to pass it back to him.

JJ thinks about making that pass sometimes, but doesn't see it as quickly as Q does, and then in a moment the opportunity is gone.

On offense if all Bell is going to do is stand in corner and the defender is just going to face guard him and not help then there is zero reason for Bell to be on the court in the second half. First offense was good because NC State was helping off of everyone leading to open shots in the second half they stopped basically taking Bell out of the game. Bell doesn’t defend rebound or do anything else on the court even with his first half he became a liability in the second.
Agree BUT it sounds like a coaching problem to me...

Wow......No doubt Cope was the stud. His fast break dunk and that under the basket scoop shot...dramatic plays. His D at the end. He also lead us in rebounds and blocks. Outstanding !!! How does he only get 26 minutes ???? He has shown how well he can drive and score, I dont know why we see very little of that in some outings. I love Cope and want him to show that he is our best player every game from here on out, because he is that guy.

Too much criticism of Judah. He fought for 15 in the second half when our O was only Cope and him. He should have had at least 20 in the half if the refs actually called some fouls on even half the time that he was hacked going to the hole. He made the big shot when they got their nose out front & he sealed with the two freebies.

Was shocked to see the rebound stats only had us down 2 - it felt like down 10.

Enough said about Bell in other threads, They adjusted after the half and since he cant create for himself he was shut down. Guards were criticized for not getting him the ball in the second half, but he has got to want it and he has to present himself. He does also have a nice pullup J, he needs to show that he wants the ball and he needs to take that shot.

Reffing was bad throughout, but evened up a bit at crunch time.
...good balanced post! I can agree and disagree with few points. Big disagree was Judah and Cope being only O in 2nd half. This is the result of ALL Judah. He did not pass and several of his misses were gathered in by Cope for a put back. Jusah has to recognize there are other players on the floor. He will be better and the team will be better if he incudes them in the game!!!

One guard in particular is less likely to give up the ball. But if Bell isn't hitting 3's, basically our entire offense is Maliq Brown setting picks for 1 of 3 guards to drive around.

And of the 3 ball handling guards, only Quadir really looks to pass it back to him.

JJ thinks about making that pass sometimes, but doesn't see it as quickly as Q does, and then in a moment the opportunity is gone.
Agree with absolutely everything but Bell was not hitting threes BECAUSE he did not have the ball????

In fairness, he did get a concussion this time which I assume there are formal protocols for.
...agree but the frustration that week after week we are missing "warm bodies". No idea what the hell is going on but concussions in practice? Just frustration!! I am absolutely in favor of the higher degree of concussion testing. Maybe we need some tougher players?

...total respect to the medical profession but we need some hard nosed bb players!!!
They call it practicing medicine for a reason.

2023 US gun deaths 43k (19k without suicides)

VS.

“According to a study by Johns Hopkins, more than 250,000 deaths every yearare due to medical malpractice. This staggering figure makes medical malpractice the third leading cause of death in the United States, behind heart disease and cancer.”

Food for thought.

I obviously do not disagree with this, at all

And I'd normally be the most frustrated with this behavior, BUT, these fans are right on the court, and it (unfortunately) goes every direction these days.

You want confidence and swagger outside the top 25 recruit realm, here we are

Matt Park said that one guy behind the SU bench was removed after he'd said something that made all the SU players stand up and turn around. They walked the guy past him but took him up to the next deck and released him there.

i gotta say, i have watched games be officiated a bit on either sidebut tonight was crazy. Literally we should have been up 25 with even reffing. one play there centermurdered mintz abd not even a little call. i never bitch about this but wow. it was bad.

i gotta say, i have watched games be officiated a bit on either sidebut tonight was crazy. Literally we should have been up 25 with even reffing. one play there centermurdered mintz abd not even a little call. i never bitch about this but wow. it was bad.

Well, right at the start of the 2nd half, they called two fouls on us where I'm not even sure there was contact - Taylor on one play, and I forget who the other one was, maybe Mintz.

Just watched Keets press conference. Still think that Horne was fouled and took a dig at how Judah always gets those calls. Dropped an F bomb as well. All around sour grapes.
I just watched it to and came here to comment. He also said his guys didn't seem to understand the scouting report because he hasn't seen Chris Bell dribble all year. Said Judah has been jumping into guys all year. Not really wrong about those things. I got the sense that he regularly drops F bombs.

Bell made no effort to move towards and protect the ball. He just seemed angry that NC State decided to play defense on him and acts like he wanted to take his ball and quit.
This is what I've been talking about. Just an absurd take. Why are some posters comfortable making assumptions like this about the character of some of our players?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom