NC State Postgame Thoughts 2 | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Postgame Thoughts 2

He’s not wrong no?
Me thinks he should focus on not getting suspended for stupid stuff! Or does destroy mean he'd try to beat up the other coach?

Most of the time it isn’t bell just standing there. Most of the time it’s where he is supposed to be doing what he is supposed too. We often run what I call a 3 man offense. Bell in one corner and someone else in the other. That leaves Brown and two guards up top with brown setting screens to free up the guard for penetration. We ran it far far too much the 2nd half. People really think that Bell would just stand there and coaches wouldn’t say a word?

Both Judah and JJ are slow to move the ball in this set though. When they make their reads quickly it works very well and of course if they win their matchup and force a foul. That said both miss that read or are too slow and then are forced to take a more difficult shot, a turnover or a reset that results in late shot clock offense. So it’s not just the set they are running. All year so far even in Judahs high assist games, he often is dishing it after he has committed himself to attacking the basket vs seeing the open man first. He is really good at freezing the defense to make them think pass then attacking but much less so the opposite. Not to mention the poor outside shooting hinders his effectiveness even more in these sets. With really no one besides Bell and then JJ able to step up from outside the arc the sets are limited anyways.

Mintz and Copeland talking trash to the crowd just an absolutely embarrassing look. This team is a disgrace to Cuse teams of the past. They talk like they've accomplished something. I'm embarrassed to be a Cuse fan even after a win. This team is very hard to root for with all their theatrics...and Autry allows it to continue game after game. Disappointing for sure.
Trash talking is a staple of many sports as it can be a distractor for some players, taking them out of their game. I’m not saying this should be a stable of our routine. Players who thrive in a street ball atmosphere, like Q, it becomes an aspect of their games. It also goes on the NBA and NFL.
Our players aren’t the only ones doing so, if you pay attention, you can see it in most games. For me, I’d rather have it than the cheep shot tactics used by many teams that often lead to injuries. Again, not a fan; however it exists in sport.

There was one replay from the 2nd half where JJ wasn't paying attention to the corner where Bell had a mismatch with Burns right in front of the SU bench and Antonelli was almost as apoplectic as Red was.

I was yelling at the TV there. Both Bell and Brown had mismatches and JJ just stood there pounding the ball into the court. Then, the NC State defenders switched, leaving both momentarily open, and JJ still didn't pass either one the ball! Maddening!

Mintz and Copeland talking trash to the crowd just an absolutely embarrassing look. This team is a disgrace to Cuse teams of the past. They talk like they've accomplished something. I'm embarrassed to be a Cuse fan even after a win. This team is very hard to root for with all their theatrics...and Autry allows it to continue game after game. Disappointing for sure.

You should've seen Devo and Johnny Flynn down in South Florida. Last night was nothing.

This should be in McNamara's wheelhouse as a teacher, shouldn't it?
Ya would think so. All he didis run around screens,picks and people in general to get open.

It’s not a matter of endurance. That play requires so much balance and effort to stop your momentum to get square to the basket and elevate straight up and down. The shot he missed in the first half shows he’s not good on the move. Momentum kept him drifting to the baseline and sent the ball right.
Fair enough... Bell definitely likes the catch and shoot.

Even if he hits a lower percentage, running off screens might be the only way he can get open if he gets face guarded like that.

I'd would have liked to see us do more to get him open shots, but it's hard if he doesn't have the skill set to get open and hit on the move. Even on a back pick set for him, he'll need to get set, receive the ball and shoot in a very small period of time.

We just don't see him participate in plays designed for him take threes on the move.

Doesn't know how to work to get shots or refuses to do it because it takes a ton of effort and hard work? I know where I stand. so a guy like Jordan Hawkins was just coached better to move without the basketball or does he just work harder?

Why would anyone waste time running screens/ pindowns for a shooter who is too lazy to work to get open?
We do know where you stand.

It doesn't matter how well Bell plays, you don't like his game, and you feel that gives you the right to make assumptions about his character and personality.

They said he will be doing the Adrian Autry Show tomorrow night instead of the head coach. You might want to call in.
Much like McNamara and shooting instruction, that is not in my wheelhouse

That’s different. Did they say why?
radio guys said family commitment. that said hope little gerry brings a little more to the radio show than the dead pan stare he exhibits on the bench.

Most of the time it isn’t bell just standing there. Most of the time it’s where he is supposed to be doing what he is supposed too. We often run what I call a 3 man offense. Bell in one corner and someone else in the other. That leaves Brown and two guards up top with brown setting screens to free up the guard for penetration. We ran it far far too much the 2nd half. People really think that Bell would just stand there and coaches wouldn’t say a word?

The issue with that offense is that it’s also predicated on having a second shooter (we don’t) and ball handlers that make the pick and roll have multiple options coming off the action bc they know where to put the ball once the D makes the decision on how to defend / how effectively they defend it.

Judah and JJ can’t. Doesn’t mean they aren’t talented in numerous respects, but it’s not doing this. And hence why we get one-dimensional offense for periods of times.

Then you add in Bell not really being able to do anything else besides shoot on the catch and our roster limitations, and here we are.

Not disagreeing with you. But we’re trying to run something that we don’t really have the personnel for.

The fact that this far into the season we don't have any action to get Chris shots is crazy. The fact that two years in Chris doesn't know how to work to get shots is...crazy. Finally I love Maliq but I didn't notice him on the floor in the second half unless he was getting dunks blocked or throwing passes away.

How hard would you work when the guy with the ball is judah mintz.

It's a meme at this point
1000002397.jpg

Yeah, if they were dealing with racist crap that certainly changes things. But this stuff has been going on all season. Mintz woofing at the G-town bench is a good example that sticks out in my mind.

You're right about Devo, he was always woofing...but he played for some really good teams as well! I know this is just part of the game in a lot of ways now a days. I just don't like all the talking without the credibility. Especially when they don't even seem to respect their own head coach the way they should.
Two of the greatest players in the game were legendary trash talkers. Larry and Michael. Don’t mind it against other players. Not sure what I think about it with students. Unless of course they crossed the line which is very very possible.

Judah had zero points in the 1st half & it was obvious in the 2nd that he was intent on making sure his PPG wouldn’t dip. Cope had to clean up his mess at least 3x following up his weak fall-away misses. He also had to gather a few of his would-be turnovers.

One of my favorite plays was in the first half when Copeland lost control of the ball going between his legs & knew if he re-gathered that it’d be a double dribble so he smartly boxed the defender out & Maliq alertly came to the ball before giving back to Cope who hit Bell in the corner for his 8-8 three.

That was the most enjoyable run-on sentence I’ve ever written.
My favorite play was his defense late in the game when NC State tried to dump off underneath and Cope jumped the pass. It was truly a key play of the game. And when I watched it back it was no accident he clearly anticipated it.

Two of the greatest players in the game were legendary trash talkers. Larry and Michael. Don’t mind it against other players. Not sure what I think about it with students. Unless of course they crossed the line which is very very possible.
Tyler did it after the game winning shot against Pitt. The student section had been on him the whole game.

Eyesight issues is cute. He caught a ball in the eye. Not exactly the same.
He had a detached retina needing surgeries - not just a swollen eye from getting hit in the eye with a ball.

He had a detached retina needing surgeries - not just a swollen eye from getting hit in the eye with a ball.

The retina detached because he didn’t catch the ball with his hands!

Fair enough... Bell definitely likes the catch and shoot.

Even if he hits a lower percentage, running off screens might be the only way he can get open if he gets face guarded like that.

I'd would have liked to see us do more to get him open shots, but it's hard if he doesn't have the skill set to get open and hit on the move. Even on a back pick set for him, he'll need to get set, receive the ball and shoot in a very small period of time.

We just don't see him participate in plays designed for him take threes on the move.
Needs to work on this during the offseason. Along with his defense.

another point I was hoping not to use as an excuse…Benny killed NC State in game 1. Proud of the team to get the W shorthanded, on the road.
Not short handed, as to Bennie. That means one of your teammates isn’t available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom