NC State Postgame Thoughts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Postgame Thoughts

Very true. But we’ve also had some questioning whether this is an athletic team.
We have? Maybe in the last 5 years, but this year's team is plenty athletic. Anyone who contends otherwise is either posting in bad faith or doesn't know anything about basketball.

This game was a pick-em, so a double-digit win was a better outcome than expected, even if we did play with our food at the end. Seems like Judah's trusting his teammates more each game while still exploiting teams who can't stay in front of him.

I liked seeing Bell back a guy down for a mid-range turnaround; That's a nice club for a 6'7" guy to have in his bag. I thought Autry might have been getting too cute putting in Carey when Maliq picked up his first, but Maliq can't keep playing 30-35 minutes a night.

JJ is a lot of fun to watch when his shots are going down, especially when you bet him at +180 to make 2+ threes and it cashes before the first media timeout :).

Big week ahead with two roadies.

Weird comment. 12 point win and you’re mad they didn’t blow them out? They also had better record and conference record too.
Yeah, because it hurts our rankings and we should have beaten them by 20. It’s not that weird when you think about it.

We have? Maybe in the last 5 years, but this year's team is plenty athletic. Anyone who contends otherwise is either posting in bad faith or doesn't know anything about basketball.

This game was a pick-em, so a double-digit win was a better outcome than expected, even if we did play with our food at the end. Seems like Judah's trusting his teammates more each game while still exploiting teams who can't stay in front of him.

I liked seeing Bell back a guy down for a mid-range turnaround; That's a nice club for a 6'7" guy to have in his bag. I thought Autry might have been getting too cute putting in Carey when Maliq picked up his first, but Maliq can't keep playing 30-35 minutes a night.

JJ is a lot of fun to watch when his shots are going down, especially when you bet him at +180 to make 2+ threes and it cashes before the first media timeout :).

Big week ahead with two roadies.
We have.

Just the other night.

It’s dead wrong. But we have.

huh, tonight ??
Yep. Tonight. This is a Q3 win; we need to blow these people out or we are never going to move up in the rankings with the metrics that matter. Instead, we turned what should have been a 20 point win into a 12 point win.

I hope we play a good game against BC there. That Post kid, their center, wasn’t happy with his game here. Imagine he’d love to get back at us. First game he never scored was against us and he averages 17 points/game this season. That McGlockton kid hurt us inside shooting 7 for 11 from the field with 14 rebounds(ouch) while Harris hurt us outside shooting 4 for 10 from 3. We better be locked in - would really hurt if we stumbled there. Our forwards will need to play good defense.

I think it was for Bell’s own good. It was getting chippy out there for a while. I don’t think red wanted risk him getting ejected.

He got his technical in the 1st half and then started the 2nd half and played the first 7 mins then nada. Made no sense to me. The lead went from 21 to 9.

NC State really isn't an inferior opponent, and that effectively was a blowout. Ask an NC State fan if they felt their team was ever in that game after about midway through the first half.
I’m talking about the score and not the game flow. We are where we are in no small part because we do not have any blowout wins against Q3 teams like NC State. We were up by over 20 for a spell and then let them come back to within 10. We did that by playing sloppy basketball at the end of the game. I dunno what to tell everyone. I’m happy we won, we should have won by more, and that would have helped our ranking.

I think it was for Bell’s own good. It was getting chippy out there for a while. I don’t think red wanted risk him getting ejected.
For his own good? He didn’t punch a guy he just taunted. That move almost cost them the game honestly. Without bell the offense was way too bunched up

Is it crazy to start Benny? Could get him locked in from the start, and a good Benny raises the floor of this team, as we saw tonight. Just not sure what Taylor gives you at this point
Clearly mintz JJ Brown bell q and Benny are the top 6 if this team hits its ceiling.

Is it crazy to start Benny? Could get him locked in from the start, and a good Benny raises the floor of this team, as we saw tonight. Just not sure what Taylor gives you at this point
May be true about Taylor, but our fans blow their load every time Benny does anything good and forget he’s bad 75% of the time himself.

It doesn’t hurt our rankings at all. NET doesn’t take margin of victory into consideration beyond 10 points. For that formula a 12 point win counts the same as 25 points.
When the NET first came out, that was the case. But then they changed it a year later and didn’t really tell anyone. It’s important to run up the score

May be true about Taylor, but our fans blow their load every time Benny does anything good and forget he’s bad 75% of the time himself.

You’re not totally wrong. Benny is an inconsistent headcase, but he leads Taylor in almost every advanced metric but plays 10 minutes less per game. I think that’s where the disconnect is. At worst, they should probably be splitting playing time equally

You’re not totally wrong. Benny is an inconsistent headcase, but he leads Taylor in almost every advanced metric but plays 10 minutes less per game. I think that’s where the disconnect is. At worst, they should probably be splitting playing time equally
The split was 25/15 and has been trending that way for a couple weeks. Don’t think theres a need to make it more than that. I also just don’t think Benny is as good as people here think. He can jump. Outside of that I’d be happy if he never dribbled.

When the NET first came out, that was the case. But then they changed it a year later and didn’t really tell anyone. It’s important to run up the score

You’re right, kind of. It seems rather ambiguous with the reformatted NET ranking system how much margin of victory actually matters. It seems like it’s dependent on the opponent rather than a set number being good.

It doesn’t hurt our rankings at all. NET doesn’t take margin of victory into consideration beyond 10 points. For that formula a 12 point win counts the same as 25 points.

I mean, we weren’t very efficient the last five minutes. That wasn’t particularly helpful.

The split was 25/15 and has been trending that way for a couple weeks. Don’t think theres a need to make it more than that. I also just don’t think Benny is as good as people here think. He can jump. Outside of that I’d be happy if he never dribbled.

He’s our most effective defensive rebounder, based on defensive rebounding percentage. He’s not great on offense but he offers so much more than Taylor there. In the last two years, he’s scored in double figures 9 times against P6 teams. Taylor has done it twice (both against VaTech). It’s safe to say neither are great options, but Benny at least has upside.

I'd be happy if he never launched that jump shot. Run the floor, rebound, keep the ball moving. Energy guy off the bench is a good role for him. Hopefully he will remain engaged, because Red certainly will be feeding him regular minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom