NC State Postgame Thoughts | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

NC State Postgame Thoughts

Big bounce back, nice to be in control essentially wire to wire. Massive week coming up. Really need to win both to put ourselves in position to make a move down the stretch.

I wish we had won by 40. I'm mean I guess winning by double digits is ok. The winning part is good. We turned the ball over a few times and I wish we hadn't done that and maybe done something better like put Chris Bell in to make some 3's. Not sure what Red was doing. He must hating winning by a lot. This board man. Cracks me up. Some people in here would win the lottery and complain about paying taxes.

Well, ok, the second half wasn't particularly efficient. We can be happy with the win. In fact, I am. However, I can't be alone in thinking that we just played sloppy basketball for most of the second half. That's not something that is going to help us and we have limited chances going forward to change that.
That’s what okay/bubble teams do though, hence why they are what they are, so may need to get used to it.

I wish we had won by 40. I'm mean I guess winning by double digits is ok. The winning part is good. We turned the ball over a few times and I wish we hadn't done that and maybe done something better like put Chris Bell in to make some 3's. Not sure what Red was doing. He must hating winning by a lot. This board man. Cracks me up. Some people in here would win the lottery and complain about paying taxes.
We were winning by 20 and he figured we needed defense, I think he even alluded to the subject in the postgame press conference

Except this particular game NCSt seemed like they were scoring every possession the last 8 minutes.
I can agree with this comment since I also watched the game. This does not mean Red did not have his best team in at the end.

Yep. Tonight. This is a Q3 win; we need to blow these people out or we are never going to move up in the rankings with the metrics that matter. Instead, we turned what should have been a 20 point win into a 12 point win.
...utterly amazing!!! We win by 12 and people complain we did not win by 20? Before the game I figured ...WE NEEDED A WIN tonight! I am happy

...utterly amazing!!! We win by 12 and people complain we did not win by 20? Before the game I figured ...WE NEEDED A WIN tonight! I am happy
We basically need a win every night. I am happy we won; I wish we didn't play sloppily in the second half. That would have helped our ranking, and it was totally doable.

I’m talking about the score and not the game flow. We are where we are in no small part because we do not have any blowout wins against Q3 teams like NC State. We were up by over 20 for a spell and then let them come back to within 10. We did that by playing sloppy basketball at the end of the game. I dunno what to tell everyone. I’m happy we won, we should have won by more, and that would have helped our ranking.
We missed FTs otherwise we win by 20

Now, don't overthink this, because it really doesn't matter, and there's no wrong answer, but it really matters and there is a wrong answer, so you should think about it -

Are you envisioning it as

"Big" Peter Carey

or

Peter "Big Peter" Carey
I can’t think that hard

I love Syracusefan.com & spend much time on here… but I will never understand hopping on the postgame thread after a 12 point home win & see more negative posts about “not being good enough” from fans than I do of the ones who appreciate an Orange win & enjoy it. I guess I’m just becoming (or have become) that guy…
In a post-game thoughts thread you should be allowed to point out flaws. Maybe if this was a total feel-good win where everything clicked it would be odd to complain.

It wasn't! Good teams do better. Syracuse usually has, over its history. Why can't we allow people to point that out?

In a post-game thoughts thread you should be allowed to point out flaws. Maybe if this was a total feel-good win where everything clicked it would be odd to complain.

It wasn't! Good teams do better. Syracuse usually has, over its history. Why can't we allow people to point that out?
When the team wins against a solid ACC team with an established coach and quality players, you want to start a complaint party. When the team loses a game it is an all out assault on the coaches and players. When do posters give praise and support?

I love Syracusefan.com & spend much time on here… but I will never understand hopping on the postgame thread after a 12 point home win & see more negative posts about “not being good enough” from fans than I do of the ones who appreciate an Orange win & enjoy it. I guess I’m just becoming (or have become) that guy…

I appreciated the win against a comparable ACC team! As always, Syracuse basketball is my favorite team on the planet & we won, I’ll always enjoy that. Solid win fellas!

I don’t think anybody’s necessarily upset about the win. The problem is that NC State is a comparable team to us as you state in your post. We don’t want that to be the case anymore. We want the team to be one of the top three or four players in the ACC every year and the top 25 every year. As constructed now and as they play now that will never happen.

I’m very happy with the win for the most part. But we have a pension for missing free throws, and doing stupid things at exactly the wrong moment which has continued in this game. I think Bell should play 30+ minutes when he’s playing like that. Reward the kid for playing good defense.

Last edited:

Some people scorn legit observations bc the poster is not acting like a cheerleader.

NC State is bad.
We won by a fair amount, but should have played better throughout the game. I thought we should have been up 20 at half. Could have easily been a 30 point win, if we had a half court offense, and were more consistently able to stop dribble drives.

1st 5 minutes, only 1 player is scoring? That's bad, regardless of how close the game was.

Up 21, but let them get it to within 9, w enough time where they could have drawn it down to a 50/50 game? Nothing to celebrate.

Q, Brown, Judah, can do better.

Can JT be any worse?

However, always celebrate a win, sure. I get it.

3 things that happened against NCST last night.: Starling has found his form and is the player they hoped he would be, Benny has progressed and is playing like they thought he would when they recruited him and Pete Carey showed he belongs at this level and he can play quality minutes to give Malik needed breaks.

laziness on the part of the graphics person not to look at the head to head tiebreakers, I hate to say it but probably a millenial. I work with too many of them who don’t do their homework and are not detailed. I am so glad I am retiring in 3 years so I don’t have to work with them anymore. Sorry, didn't mean to rant but it's what I see every day.

I’m sure they’re looking forward to your retirement, too.

3 things that happened against NCST last night.: Starling has found his form and is the player they hoped he would be, Benny has progressed and is playing like they thought he would when they recruited him and Pete Carey showed he belongs at this level and he can play quality minutes to give Malik needed breaks.
And I think Benny should go into the starting lineup now. I think he's ready for it. Taylor can come off the bench.

I don’t think Benny is great either, but I at least think he’s a competent P6 bench guy. I think after almost two seasons, it’s fairly safe to say Taylor is probably not a P6 quality player. At the very least, he’s absolutely not a P6 caliber starter.
We need to start running some back screens or pick and rolls for Benny. Part of the reason he has been ineffective is that he is not around the basket enough. When we get him those dunks it not only engages him, it engages the fans and the team. We gotta figure out some way to get him at least 5 of those kind of looks a game preferably more.

Not related to the game but I was in Charlottesville VA for work this past week and the NC State team stayed in my hotel for their game at UVA. Nothing but nice things to say about them, very polite young men.

Why wouldn't we be placed ahead of them if we beat them head to head?

Because the coding behind the standings isn’t that sophisticated on the ACC’s website, apparently. It’s worth noting that ESPN has the correct rankings, taking tie-breakers into account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom