NCAA files suit | Syracusefan.com

NCAA files suit

so they are like all the grad students who get paid $15 an hr and work 60 and dont get all the other free stuff.

NCAA is going to go down swinging but it looks more and more like the vestigial tail of contemporary college sports

There are fans on this board who spend more than 30 hours per week supporting, following, reading, posting on their favorite college sports. When do we get our “fair share” of the big money of college sports? I still haven’t seen a nickel of that money.
E632821A-EE1F-4910-9FC2-73689ACEB1C6.jpeg

Don't be mad at student-athletes when it was the conferences and administrators that got the big media rights deals and reaped 100% of the rewards.
If they paid them as employees wouldn’t they all have to raise their tuition fees? But everyone wants free tuition? I’m already confused lol

If they paid them as employees wouldn’t they all have to raise their tuition fees? But everyone wants free tuition? I’m already confused lol
The money from TV contracts gets ploughed into facilities and coach and admin salaries. I'm sure every school is different, but it's not used to generally keep the price of tuition down.

They should put a cap on revenue for all schools. Any money schools get above that amount from TV revenues should go into a pool to be divided amongst all schools. Money then could be used for players, etc. It would end the conference jumping and keep some kind of balance among schools.

Don't be mad at student-athletes when it was the conferences and administrators that got the big media rights deals and reaped 100% of the rewards.
If they become employees, there is no more NCAA, and no more rules. Anti trust rules come into play, and no more conferences, they will have to follow all the Professional rules.
There will be no more students playing for colleges.

They should eliminate Athletic Scholarships. Make them work their way through school.
Maybe some renumeration for the non Scholly athletes is fair. I do not like the idea but I get it. Think of the overtime for travel to away or bowl games.

I’m sorry 30 hrs a week for a 60,000 dollar ride per year is good . Students do not deserve more than that. Sorry. They r getting a free ride sometimes 5 years. I totally disagree.

The money from TV contracts gets ploughed into facilities and coach and admin salaries. I'm sure every school is different, but it's not used to generally keep the price of tuition down.
It also helps fund the non revenue sports like men and women’s soccer, lacrosse, softball, crew, track & field etc

I’m sorry 30 hrs a week for a 60,000 dollar ride per year is good . Students do not deserve more than that. Sorry. They r getting a free ride sometimes 5 years. I totally disagree.
What if, and bear with me, these employees were one of a kind like a very low % of people could do their job AND their employer makes a f ton of money off of their unique skill set? Oh - and they have a very limited time to ply their trade?

They should eliminate Athletic Scholarships. Make them work their way through school.
I don’t understand the anger toward the players. They put in 40-45 hour weeks, as well as classes and homework.

I don’t understand the anger toward the players. They put in 40-45 hour weeks, as well as classes and homework.
I’m not angry at the players at all. Just the system. Maybe college kids don’t need to spend 40 hours per week on athletics.

I’m not angry at the players at all. Just the system. Maybe college kids don’t need to spend 40 hours per week on athletics.
There is a 20 hour a week limit put on athletic related practices or athletically related activities per week during the playing season. In addition, one day a week there can be no athletic related activity except during conference/NCAA tournament time (in other words a total day off each week). Games count as 3 hours from that 20 hour weekly limit.

There is a 20 hour a week limit put on athletic related practices or athletically related activities per week during the playing season. In addition, one day a week there can be no athletic related activity except during conference/NCAA tournament time (in other words a total day off each week). Games count as 3 hours from that 20 hour weekly limit.
So 17 hours for the rest of the week, have a hard time believing that.

So 17 hours for the rest of the week, have a hard time believing that.
So 14 hours if there are 2 games in a week span.

NCAA Bylaw 17.1.5.1 During the Playing Season
A student-athlete's participation in countable athletically related activities shall be limited to a maximum of four hours per day and 20 hours per week. For a multi-sport student-athlete, the daily and weekly hour limitations apply separately to each sport in which s/he participates.

NCAA Bylaw 17.1.5.4 Required Day Off-Playing Season
During the playing season, all countable athletically related activities (per Bylaw 17.02.1) shall be prohibited during one calendar day per week, except during participation in one conference and post season championship and any post season certified bowl games or National Invitation Tournaments, and during participation in NCAA championships.

NCAA Bylaw 17.1.5.5.1 No Class Time Missed for Practice Activities
No class time shall be missed for practice activities except when a team is traveling to an away- from-home contest and the practice is in conjunction with the contest.

NCAA Bylaw 17.1.5.3.2 Competition Day
All competition and any associated athletically related activities on the day of competition shall count as three hours regardless of the actual duration of these activities.

Oh come on. Everyone sidesteps that rule with ease, as it only refers to official team activity. "Voluntary" workouts, time in the training room, and individual film study all get put in off the "official" clock.

It’s not anger at all. It’s that we give kids enough already in my opinion. I don’t agree with the nil either but it is what it is. all the food and extra studying help should be enough. Look at it work wise. Tuition at SU is around 60,000 plus food and board so say 70,000 grand 40 hour work week/class and practice, is about 1500 dollars a week. Do we need to give them more for their time. I don’t believe so. That’s all I’m saying. I have no hate for the kids. I used to coach in h.s. and want all of them to do well. I also don’t believe in handing them stuff either.

Oh come on. Everyone sidesteps that rule with ease, as it only refers to official team activity. "Voluntary" workouts, time in the training room, and individual film study all get put in off the "official" clock.
Yeah, I’m sure the rules have tightened up. But when they first went to the time limits, what constituted an on-field practice was the use of a football. So we’d run walk-through’s and install days with tennis balls to not soak up the clock.

We did give them one total day off though. We’d ask that they get their workouts in on their own time but wouldn’t monitor on that day.

And individual film study was all assigned via software so we knew if they were doing it or not.

Is it safe to assume most athletes spend LESS time on academics than other students? Most students don’t have the tutors and academic counselors and support staff that players have.

It’s not anger at all. It’s that we give kids enough already in my opinion. I don’t agree with the nil either but it is what it is. all the food and extra studying help should be enough. Look at it work wise. Tuition at SU is around 60,000 plus food and board so say 70,000 grand 40 hour work week/class and practice, is about 1500 dollars a week. Do we need to give them more for their time. I don’t believe so. That’s all I’m saying. I have no hate for the kids. I used to coach in h.s. and want all of them to do well. I also don’t believe in handing them stuff either.
What reasoning do you have for this position aside from "because I think so?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom