NCAA may be at it again | Syracusefan.com

NCAA may be at it again

orange79

Internet Sleuth
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidla...r-crackdown-could-be-a-big-strategic-mistake/

After last year’s Northwestern ruling and the appeal of the O’Bannon decision coming soon, one would think the NCAA would be careful about putting further restrictions on its athletes. However, last week Kevin Lennon, recently named as the organization’s VP of Division I governance, cited reducing the transfer rate as a top priority.

“They don’t want a competitive disadvantage,” said Ohio University professor David Ridpath, an expert in intercollegiate sports governance. “But what they don’t seem to realize is that every restriction that differs from the normal student strengthens the notion of an employer/employee relationship. They don’t seem to be smart enough to see that.”

One proposal being considered is to require players transferring into graduate programs to also sit out a year before being eligible. Lennon said the concern is that the data shows that players aren’t completing their graduate degrees and that, on average, nine months of credit is lost.

Jeez, because taking classes in graduate school is somehow bad for kids... Oh Lord

But it is a sham...look at our QB savior...he bolted and never finished his degree.

TexanMark said:
But it is a sham...look at our QB savior...he bolted and never finished his degree.

It is a sham. Most don't even finish the year.

rrlbees said:
It is a sham. Most don't even finish the year.

I don't get it. So a graduate goes somewhere for their fifth year, takes grad level courses - they should stay if they don't want to? Why and how does this hurt the kid or program? If they were good enough to get drafted out of college, they would go. If they get an extra year to play, again - what's the harm?

I don't get it. So a graduate goes somewhere for their fifth year, takes grad level courses - they should stay if they don't want to? Why and how does this hurt the kid or program? If they were good enough to get drafted out of college, they would go. If they get an extra year to play, again - what's the harm?
Agree completely. If the athlete completes the undergrad college coursework (usually a minimum of 120 passing hours) and wants to transfer to another school to play and take courses, they should be able to. That was their deal when they accepted the schollie at 17/18 years old. At 21/22/23 years old, they should be able to transfer it is better for them. If the school they are currently attending has the best situation for the athlete after finishing the original degree (like many have at 'Cuse), then they would surely stay. If not, they should be allowed to try a new school/system/academic environment.

TheCusian said:

Anyone else that transfers has to sit a year. Very few of the grad school transfers do so for academics. It's all to play another year.

Moontan said:
Many/most undergraduate P5 football/basketball scholarship athletes aren't there for academics either.

Won't disagree but when they transfer they have to sit a year.

rrlbees said:
Anyone else that transfers has to sit a year. Very few of the grad school transfers do so for academics. It's all to play another year.

And? How is that harmful to the school or to the kid?

Only because they haven't graduated yet.

To do what some would want, it would essentially mean 6 years to play 4. During year 6 that non-playing student athlete would be chewing up a scholarship year that could've been used by someone else.

Funny that Bo Ryan is one to complain about the current rules while Wiscy's football team benefited from those rules.

Actually, if the NCAA was sued on the transfer issue, it loses. All other sports but bball and fball can transfer with no penalty. What are the 2 sports dominated by African Americans. Also, currently, scholarships are 1 year. It's like the old reserve clause in baseball.

Which one, the one we got from Duke, or the one we got from Oklahoma?

Since we had 2 grad school QBs who were supposed to be saviors, I wasn't sure.
i had forgot about the OU guy already...i was confused. didnt think a dook grad would miss an opportunity to at least put a number of credits towards a grad degree before leaving.

this now makes sense.

These players do however, have a college degree. They should be rewarded for that. And if a graduate has to sit out a year, that would basically end graduated student athletes from transferring to another school. Not many would wait until they were 24 to play again. It's not a big problem or a big factor so why change it?

dasher said:
These players do however, have a college degree. They should be rewarded for that. And if a graduate has to sit out a year, that would basically end graduated student athletes from transferring to another school. Not many would wait until they were 24 to play again. It's not a big problem or a big factor so why change it?

Agree 100%. The push behind changing it is the blue bloods feeling the heat from programs like ours. They want to have 3 4-star QB on the roster, where one only sees meaningful time - and then they don't want to see them on the other team after 4 years.

So this issue should be on the docket sometime after they make sure undergrad athletes are taking actual classes @ UNC and after the dole out the punishment for the yacht parties for recruits @ Miami correct... since, you know, its all about academic integrity.

Not sure about the "big factor" point. There are a lot of guys doing this now in hoops. 30+? this year. And the number is going to get bigger.

longtimefan said:
Not sure about the "big factor" point. There are a lot of guys doing this now in hoops. 30+? this year. And the number is going to get bigger.

Again - what's the harm? A kid who is not good enough for the NBA gets one last shot.

Agree 100%. The push behind changing it is the blue bloods feeling the heat from programs like ours. They want to have 3 4-star QB on the roster, where one only sees meaningful time - and then they don't want to see them on the other team after 4 years.
To quote the late Darrel Royal regarding the 100+ players on his roster in the 60s, "I can't guarantee he'll play for the University of Texas, but I can guarantee he won't play against the University of Texas."

Just make everyone 5 to play 5, and if a kid graduates they can transfer wherever they want without sitting a year out to begin a masters program and exhaust any additional eligibility they may have.

Just make everyone 5 to play 5, and if a kid graduates they can transfer wherever they want without sitting a year out to begin a masters program and exhaust any additional eligibility they may have.
Subject to league restrictions, sure. I can see this. I do wonder how the new stipend rules would affect this.