NCAA may be at it again | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA may be at it again

The issue is that coaches are losing "control" by these decisions and they are bitching to their AD's to get it changed. It's a joke that the NCAA is spending time on this when, as others have pointed out, they have far greater issues to deal with.

ADs and coaches want absolutely and total authority to entirely dictate the terms of a kid's tenure at a school with the goal of making it as difficult as possible to leave.

They also want absolutely and total authority to leave whenever the f@&k they want.

USA! USA! USA!

ADs and coaches want absolutely and total authority to entirely dictate the terms of a kid's tenure at a school with the goal of making it as difficult as possible to leave.

They also want absolutely and total authority to leave whenever the f@&k they want.

USA! USA! USA!
That's why I'm saying - if the kid graduates and has eligibility remaining, they can go to whatever school they want, just the same as any other student that graduates can apply to any other programs anywhere else they choose.

Again - what's the harm? A kid who is not good enough for the NBA gets one last shot.
I didn't comment on the rightness or wrongness of this. I spoke only of the fact that it a large and growing phenomenon.

I didn't comment on the rightness or wrongness of this. I spoke only of the fact that it a large and growing phenomenon.
Which seems a bit odd since there are a lot fewer red-shirts on CBB than in CFB. (Yes, I realize that SU has one one, or two, or possibly three, on the upcoming roster).

Which seems a bit odd since there are a lot fewer red-shirts on CBB than in CFB. (Yes, I realize that SU has one one, or two, or possibly three, on the upcoming roster).
Also, some of them are getting a degree in 3 years (taking advantage of summer opportunities, like Rak), allowing them to move to greener pastures for that final year of eligibility.

I don't get it. So a graduate goes somewhere for their fifth year, takes grad level courses - they should stay if they don't want to? Why and how does this hurt the kid or program? If they were good enough to get drafted out of college, they would go. If they get an extra year to play, again - what's the harm?
The harm is ... it's fraud. "Graduate" level transfers -- those who've already spent 4 years in college and have not taken a RS year -- are supposed to be pursuing a graduate degree in a given subject area as a condition for a fifth year of sports participation. The rule isn't there so kids can pretend to do graduate studies as a pretext to extend their eligibility. "Graduate students", just like undergraduates, have to be full-time students in a legitimate course of study.

On a broader note (and speaking of "legitimate"), if the NCAA really cares about academic fraud, they shouldn't waste time with penny-ante stuff .. they should be going after schools with sham classes. We all know who we're talking about.

Last edited:
All of you who are screaming fraud- do you know if West, Welsh, Flemming, etc who were grad students this year have completed their programs? Is Rak a fraud for saying he's finished what he's taken this year, but he hasn't completed his grad program? What's the time limit for him returning to complete that grad degree before it's "fraud"?

Maybe they should just stay at their previous school and take golf and yoga like Super Awesome Student-Athlete Marcus Mariota struggled through last Fall? My answer is who cares if they finish their undergrad degree.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2015/5/8/8572789/the-graduate-transfer-dilemma-a-guide-on-overreacting

reedny said:
The harm is ... it's fraud. "Graduate" level transfers -- those who've already spent 4 years in college and have not taken a RS year -- are supposed to be pursuing a graduate degree in a given subject area as a condition for a fifth year of sports participation. The rule isn't there so kids can pretend to do graduate studies as a pretext to extend their eligibility. "Graduate students", just like undergraduates, have to be full-time students in a legitimate course of study. On a broader note (and speaking of "legitimate"), if the NCAA really cares about academic fraud, they shouldn't waste time with penny-ante stuff .. they should be going after schools with sham classes. We all know who we're talking about.

Who is going to be the judge of who is being authentic and who is committing "fraud"? The NCAA!??? (I'm laughing - but maybe that's in their wheelhouse...?)

reedny said:
The harm is ... it's fraud. "Graduate" level transfers -- those who've already spent 4 years in college and have not taken a RS year -- are supposed to be pursuing a graduate degree in a given subject area as a condition for a fifth year of sports participation. The rule isn't there so kids can pretend to do graduate studies as a pretext to extend their eligibility. "Graduate students", just like undergraduates, have to be full-time students in a legitimate course of study. On a broader note (and speaking of "legitimate"), if the NCAA really cares about academic fraud, they shouldn't waste time with penny-ante stuff .. they should be going after schools with sham classes. We all know who we're talking about.

Also - in fraud there would be a victim. I do not know who that is in this case? The school? They are clearly getting what they want.

Also - in fraud there would be a victim. I do not know who that is in this case? The school? They are clearly getting what they want.
Seriously? lol. How about the next kid who couldn't study and/or play because some clown wanted to use a scholarship to scam the system and extend his eligibility; the reputation and resources of a university that offers a place, classroom facilities, professors, scheduling, dormitory room, study table, unlimited food ... all to a poser "student athlete"; the potential effect on the APR (if this counts); potential further problems with the NCAA; the wasted staff and tutor time used by the huckster to "keep up" with classes he or she has no intention of completing ... yada, yada, yada. If you think this should fly at SU you obviously have us confused with Kentucky or 'Bama.

The "harm" is no different than what any NCAA violation causes ... it's against the rules no matter whether we agree with the NCAA or not. We're part of the system and have to play fair, or were no better than the D-Leaguers. I mean, is it aok to hire strippers and feed cocaine to recruits ... what harm does THAT cause ... or is it just that you guys don't quite "get" the idea that an education is the most valuable skill that any SA obtains from his/her college experience. If you're so short-sighted you can't see that .. check out some of the many NBA/NFL rejects .. the guys that have no degree and shredded knees or multiple concussions. Sheesh .. why should this stuff even have to be explained?

Last edited:
The NCAA is just being what they are designed to be, a useless tool for the schools to pretend that there is some semblance to academic credibility in the world of college sports. As such, they have no real ability to correct real problems (See any SEC school, PSU, tOSU, UNC, etc.) so they go after "problems" to pretend that they are actually performing a service to protect academic integrity.

As for fraud, TC has it right, who is the "victim" if a kid leaves for a 5th year elsewhere? The original school already got what they bargained for; the kid, he gets another chance at the NFL; the gaining school, they got a potential boost to their system.

Agree 100%. The push behind changing it is the blue bloods feeling the heat from programs like ours. They want to have 3 4-star QB on the roster, where one only sees meaningful time - and then they don't want to see them on the other team after 4 years.
By the way 'Cuse fans, we can benefit from this both ways. In football, we especially can benefit as we can get a Russell Wilson type of transfer at QB (or pick ANY position we need depth in- the list is unfortunately longer than we'd like). Any impact player anticipated to start would be very unlikely to leave Syracuse (as they would play a ton).

In hoops, a guy on the dreaded 8th spot on Jimmy B's rotation can move to a school where he will actually play minutes (and it would free a schollie for us, which is precious these days). Very, VERY few players in 'Cuse's top 7 is going to even consider transferring. If they are 8th or lower, they might. If they are 8th or lower on the rotation as a senior/5th year, how much do you really think JB was going to play them anyway? Schollie means more than unused depth. And that person would have counted well against our grade point averages to graduate early... And if it ever did impact us in the future, Maybe JB starts giving meaningful minutes to the bench depth (just one more benefit)...

Seriously? lol. How about the next kid who couldn't study and/or play because some clown wanted to use a scholarship to scam the system and extend his eligibility; the reputation of the university that offered a place for a poser "student athlete"; the potential effect on the APR (if this counts); potential further problems with the NCAA's ... yada, yada. If you think this should fly at SU obviously have us confused with Kentucky (no concern for education).

I agree with your sentiment but the argument is that if the kid missing out on the scholarship wasn't marginal, he would have gotten the scholarship over the 5th year guy.

It is not a scam on the system if the rules allow for the action. Simply because I don't make $1MM/year and don't have $10MM in the bank does not mean that rich people are scamming the system because they exercise a right to a tax break. I am still eligible for the same tax break if I can get my income and investments to their levels.

I do agree that schools like Kentucky have no concern about education and that Syracuse has taken the high road (generally) but the system allows for the transfers. Every school knows that the kid can leave after four years and use a fifth year at another school when they recruit the kid. That risk is assumed the moment the scholarship is offered.

I agree with your sentiment but the argument is that if the kid missing out on the scholarship wasn't marginal, he would have gotten the scholarship over the 5th year guy.

It is not a scam on the system if the rules allow for the action. Simply because I don't make $1MM/year and don't have $10MM in the bank does not mean that rich people are scamming the system because they exercise a right to a tax break. I am still eligible for the same tax break if I can get my income and investments to their levels.

I do agree that schools like Kentucky have no concern about education and that Syracuse has taken the high road (generally) but the system allows for the transfers. Every school knows that the kid can leave after four years and use a fifth year at another school when they recruit the kid. That risk is assumed the moment the scholarship is offered.
Sorry I added a section after the initial post (and your response). This is not personal to you, BTW. But obviously, the rules don't allow for it (all SA's have to maintain full-time academic eligibility) and it is a scam, and we have no business encouraging it or tolerating it ... that is IF we want to get off probation and elevate ourselves above the gutter schools that recruit pass-throughs.

Last edited:

To add to my response above, I also agree that there is a risk anytime you recruit a kid who promises to attend class, most especially a 5th year transfer. We did get burned by the former QB .. thinking that he was a legitimate student (Oaklahoma?). But that was never HCSS's intention -- he knows SU is academically legit. In fact, Shaf is recruiting only kids who want to learn and promise to do so .. he boasted recently that the average GPA of the 2015 class is like 3.2. Clearly, he's trying to run a clean program .. bringing in kids who value education, who understand their academic responsibilities, etc... Yes, some kids will burn us ... and I'll bet in 10 years when they're raking our yards without a degree they'll regret it.

Last edited:
It is a sham. Most don't even finish the year.
College is a sham and a scam......Lots of people don't finish undergrad and grad. There is NO law against it. In the pretend world of the NCAA all these athletes are Einstein's who should graduate 100%. Laughable expectation! The fraud is the NCAA expecting these kids to perform like indentured servants that bring in riches big bucks to the NCAA and schools involved at the same time pretending that they are there to get an education. Sport comes first even to the detriment of academics. Tell your coach that you have a makeup lab that you need to get a good grade on Saturday for med school and you might get your football scholarship pulled even if you aren't in the 2 deep especially a Saban or a Meyer or other SEC BigX Or Pac 12....The athletic requirements of the kids scream job, employee! The NCAA are morons not to see that their position that athletes are students first is no longer tenable and restricting movement weakens their case even further.

College is a sham and a scam...Lots of people don't finish undergrad and grad. There is NO law against it. In the pretend world of the NCAA all these athletes are Einstein's who should graduate 100%. Laughable expectation! The fraud is the NCAA expecting these kids to perform like indentured servants that bring in riches big bucks to the NCAA and schools involved at the same time pretending that they are there to get an education. Sport comes first even to the detriment of academics. Tell your coach that you have a makeup lab that you need to get a good grade on Saturday for med school and you might get your football scholarship pulled even if you aren't in the 2 deep especially a Saban or a Meyer or other SEC BigX Or Pac 12...The athletic requirements of the kids scream job, employee! The NCAA are morons not to see that their position that athletes are students first is no longer tenable.
With these views, I doubt you're an alum, or even a college graduate. Either way, you're on the wrong bandwagon, buddy.

reedny said:
Seriously? lol. How about the next kid who couldn't study and/or play because some clown wanted to use a scholarship to scam the system and extend his eligibility; the reputation and resources of a university that offers a place, classroom facilities, professors, scheduling, dormitory room, study table, unlimited food ... all to a poser "student athlete"; the potential effect on the APR (if this counts); potential further problems with the NCAA; the wasted staff and tutor time used by the huckster to "keep up" with classes he or she has no intention of completing ... yada, yada, yada. If you think this should fly at SU you obviously have us confused with Kentucky or 'Bama. The "harm" is no different than what any NCAA violation causes ... it's against the rules no matter whether we agree with the NCAA or not. We're part of the system and have to play fair, or were no better than the D-Leaguers. I mean, is it aok to hire strippers and feed cocaine to recruits ... what harm does THAT cause ... or is it just that you guys don't quite "get" the idea that an education is the most valuable skill that any SA obtains from his/her college experience. If you're so short-sighted you can't see that .. check out some of the many NBA/NFL rejects .. the guys that have no degree and shredded knees or multiple concussions. Sheesh .. why should this stuff even have to be explained?

This is funny. You do know schools knowingly invite these players to be on scholarship, right? And that for the small sum they risk with a scholarship - they might elevate the program - and in some cases bring in tons more cash, notoriety, etc. Schools are getting the bargain.

My wife works at a college. I am a Syracuse alum. I know the value of education. It's up to the player to take advantage of any scholarship. If they don't - it's on them.

If a school or student doesn't want to enter into this mutually beneficial relationship - they can back out or not accept transfers, no?

Also - it's not a violation. It's written into the rule books.

With these views, I doubt you're an alum, or even a college graduate. Either way, you're on the wrong bandwagon, buddy.

FYI- these guys count towards APR, so they like everyone else on scholarship have to complete minimum standards each semester. You are also assuming that all of SU's admitted students (athletes or not) are dedicated to academics...well good luck with that one. This is currently allowed and it's up to the coaches and admins to decide to accept any transfer. If anything a 5th yr kid who leaves after just the Fall, frees up a Jan. scholarship for the team.

I w
Seriously? lol. How about the next kid who couldn't study and/or play because some clown wanted to use a scholarship to scam the system and extend his eligibility; the reputation and resources of a university that offers a place, classroom facilities, professors, scheduling, dormitory room, study table, unlimited food ... all to a poser "student athlete"; the potential effect on the APR (if this counts); potential further problems with the NCAA; the wasted staff and tutor time used by the huckster to "keep up" with classes he or she has no intention of completing ... yada, yada, yada. If you think this should fly at SU you obviously have us confused with Kentucky or 'Bama.

The "harm" is no different than what any NCAA violation causes ... it's against the rules no matter whether we agree with the NCAA or not. We're part of the system and have to play fair, or were no better than the D-Leaguers. I mean, is it aok to hire strippers and feed cocaine to recruits ... what harm does THAT cause ... or is it just that you guys don't quite "get" the idea that an education is the most valuable skill that any SA obtains from his/her college experience. If you're so short-sighted you can't see that .. check out some of the many NBA/NFL rejects .. the guys that have no degree and shredded knees or multiple concussions. Sheesh .. why should this stuff even have to be explained?
I would be more worried about the 18 year old with pro dreams not being a student than the 5th year guy who has graduated in 4 years (when it takes the average student almost 5 years to graduate.

I w

I would be more worried about the 18 year old with pro dreams not being a student than the 5th year guy who has graduated in 4 years (when it takes the average student almost 5 years to graduate.
If they don't intend to go to class, there's no difference. Sham students are an insult to the University, SU alums and fans, and most especially people like DC and Mookie Jones .. who've worked so hard to get a degree having finally realized how important it is.

Last edited: