NCAA - NBA Draft Eligibility Dates Changed | Syracusefan.com

NCAA - NBA Draft Eligibility Dates Changed

This is a big F***ing deal
BFD.jpg

This is going to be he'll on roster management for coaches.

ok, too lazy to look it up right now... what was the rule on these 2 points last year? how have they changed?
thanks!

This is actually a positive change for all involved, I think. The NBA teams can give the players better advice about their pro prospects, the players get more time to decide and better information, and the colleges are more likely to get their players back. I think if this had been in place a few years ago, we'd probably have gotten Jerami back.

This is actually a positive change for all involved, I think. The NBA teams can give the players better advice about their pro prospects, the players get more time to decide and better information, and the colleges are more likely to get their players back. I think if this had been in place a few years ago, we'd probably have gotten Jerami back.
What's going to happen though is some recruits are going to be left up in the air not knowing if a scholly will be available because a kid may decide to come back to college.

Conversely, what if a kid puts his hat in the ring, the school assumes he's gone, offers a late scholly to an unsigned kid, who signs his LOI and then the kid decides he wants back to school one of the two kids will be without a scholarship.

Scholarship management is going to get dicey at some schools where there is always the potential for an early entry, which means we will likely be in the middle of this type of situation a lot in the coming years. Especially since we can't afford to be down a scholarship player for a year due to the sanctions.

ok, too lazy to look it up right now... what was the rule on these 2 points last year? how have they changed?
thanks!

Players had to decide before the combine/before workouts, so now they can actually try out for some NBA teams, get a hopefully much more accurate opinion, and then make their decision.

What's going to happen though is some recruits are going to be left up in the air not knowing if a scholly will be available because a kid may decide to come back to college.

Conversely, what if a kid puts his hat in the ring, the school assumes he's gone, offers a late scholly to an unsigned kid, who signs his LOI and then the kid decides he wants back to school one of the two kids will be without a scholarship.

Scholarship management is going to get dicey at some schools where there is always the potential for an early entry, which means we will likely be in the middle of this type of situation a lot in the coming years. Especially since we can't afford to be down a scholarship player for a year due to the sanctions.

Honestly, though, how often are we or any school with players who are testing the NBA waters recruiting kids in May for the next year? It happens, but most of the time, it's too late by then.

Yeah, by the time Grant and Ennis were pretty much gone, Syracuse wasn't recruiting anyone for September. I think some superstar recruits will hold off committing until then, but that will only impact the few teams that really rely on those recruits (UK, KU, Duke, AZ) and more and more graduate transfers and JUCOs won't commit until after the draft combine. Those kind of kids will be more attractive recruits. Syracuse has typically held an extra scholarship open anyway. Being held to 11 'ships just means that the SU coaching staff has to a do a better job identifying and coaching up prospects into D1 players.

Heck, they may even up the scholarship limit to 15 if enough schools get cranky about the 4-year scholarship guarantee AND allowing them to test the draft waters every year.

kids just have to keep the scumbag agents at bay

Players had to decide before the combine/before workouts, so now they can actually try out for some NBA teams, get a hopefully much more accurate opinion, and then make their decision.
Hopefully NBA teams will be upfront and honest in their evaluations too. Lots of games played between teams trying to hide their real intentions etc.

Hopefully NBA teams will be upfront and honest in their evaluations too. Lots of games played between teams trying to hide their real intentions etc.

I don't see that happening, these Nba teams only care about their own intentions.

another part of this I just caught while reading an article on it - and I'm not sure this is even new, but it's new to me - players can come back to school of they end up undrafted (and, obviously, don't sign w an agent) in June/July or whenever the draft is actually held these days

JB seems to like it. mentioned on his radio show tonite he tried to counsel a few recent early draft entries that they would go lower than they themselves projected . also said something like playing overseas is no longer a sure thing.

Typical NCAA bs. If they were really about the student athletes they would allow them to enter the draft, be drafted and still return if they didn't sign a contract.

The players need some sort of representation that acts in their best interest, is plugged into the system (i.e. has solid NBA contacts), and can provide objective advice. I think they should be able to sign with an agent, but unfortunately I think an agent may push too hard for them to go pro sooner rather than wait for a more advantageous position. I think that Boeheim does a good job in this respect, but I think an independent person could be better.

The players need some sort of representation that acts in their best interest, is plugged into the system (i.e. has solid NBA contacts), and can provide objective advice. I think they should be able to sign with an agent, but unfortunately I think an agent may push too hard for them to go pro sooner rather than wait for a more advantageous position. I think that Boeheim does a good job in this respect, but I think an independent person could be better.

The student athlete needs to be allowed to enter the draft, negotiate with a team and determine whether the opportunity they are being offered is worth leaving college for. The NCAA should be put out of its hypocritical misery for requiring student athletes to forfeit their eligibility just to find out if there is a real opportunity out there for them. The fact that the NCAA supports a model that works well for the NBA, but is bad for the student athlete is a travesty.

The NBA has a panel to give a kid an idea. To the best of my knowledge, they are independent. Not sure if they would have any agenda to push a kid into the draft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom