NCAA rule changes for next year. | Syracusefan.com

NCAA rule changes for next year.

Dave85

Living Legend
I would like to see a 30 second shot clock. 35 is too long.

I would like to see the charge arc extended out further. I would like to see stronger clarification on what a charge is versus a block. I'm sick of referees determining who wins and who loses.

Dave, college kids today can't score with 35 seconds. You think it would be better if they had less time?

I would like to see the charge arc extended out further. I would like to see stronger clarification on what a charge is versus a block. I'm sick of referees determining who wins and who loses.

Agree and agree. But I'd go further. There should be a lot more "no calls" under the basket. When a defender is under the basket with his hands in the air, and contact is made, it's almost impossible to make a consistent, accurate judgment between a charge and a block. As we've seen, these judgments often determine the outcome of the game.

I love anything that will result in fewer charge calls. As has been pointed out in the past, the charge rule was put into effect to stop players from bullying there way in the paint through established defenders. It's not supposed to be a way to create a turnover by stepping in front and getting stationery at the last possible moment. Defend the guy.

Dave, college kids today can't score with 35 seconds. You think it would be better if they had less time?

I'll answer. Yes they can. Too much walking the ball up the court and running motion with no purpose. Like JB said after the 2nd Pitt game, they held the ball the whole game but when they needed to get a shot in less than 10 secs (at the end of the game) they had no problem. The pace of the college game needs to be made quicker, it's far too slow now.

NBA is 24 seconds. You don't have to agree with my opinion. I'm fine with that.

Men's college basketball is the only high level basketball in the world to have a 35 second shot clock. Anything that will speed up the game and force teams to actually run their offense rather than hold the ball for 25 seconds is a good thing. If they actually ran an offense for 35 I might think there was more validity the notion that they can't score in 30, but they do nothing for 20 seconds.

If it were up to me, it would be 30 seconds for the 1st shot in a possession and 24 after offensive rebounds.

Coach on court = Technical.

No ifs, ands, or buts.

The charge/block calls really bother me. I wish those were done with a little less subjective judgment by the referee.

The charge/block calls really bother me. I wish those were done with a little less subjective judgment by the referee.

No way around subjective judgment. Had the defender with his hands in the air established position for 1/4 second? 1/2 second? A full second? It's just about impossible for a human to consistently and accurately make that judgment. Especially since the referee has other activities to attend to. In my opinion, the only sensible solution is to not make the judgment in these cases. That is, a no call.

Timeouts should have no effect on :10 calls (to get the ball over halfcourt)...in other words, if you call a timeout, you still have :10 to get the ball over halfcourt. I hate that teams are currently bailed out by a timeout.

Timeouts should have no effect on :10 calls (to get the ball over halfcourt)...in other words, if you call a timeout, you still have :10 to get the ball over halfcourt. I hate that teams are currently bailed out by a timeout.
I have been calling for that for over 40 years.

NBA is 24 seconds. You don't have to agree with my opinion. I'm fine with that.

i agree with the 30 second shot clock. to dasher's point, not sure having a longer shot clock allows kids to score more efficiently.

The length of the clock is part of the reason that the kids can't score.

Players in college routinely pass up good shots within the flow of their teams' offenses because their coaches have told them to "be patient" and work the shot clock. Teams do this against the zone, but it shows up plenty against man-to-man defenses, too.

As a result, many offensive possessions in college hoops last 30 or seconds. These scenarios see lots of player movement and ball reversals, but often much of that action is wasted by design--it doesn't necessarily function to create better scoring chances early in the possession. In fact, it often operates to avoid them. This leads to plenty of rushed, poorly devised shots as the shot clock winds down.

In essence, the longer shot clock leads to more opportunities for players to be less active in meaningful ways and to take more ill-advised shots. It is wise to remember John Wooden's advice that we should "never mistake activity for achievement."

A charge is when an offensive player runs into / drops a shoulder onto defender. Standing prone like an idiot asking for a head injury isn't playing defense.

Entitlement of space.

A charge is when an offensive player runs into / drops a shoulder onto defender. Standing prone like an idiot asking for a head injury isn't playing defense.

Entitlement of space.

It's a charge when Syracuse is playing at Duke. It's a blocking foul when Syracuse is playing at UVA.

Throwing the ball into the back court on an underneath/side out of bounds. This drives me crazy.

I know this is OT but can we get rid of the word "euro step"

It's a charge when Syracuse is playing at Duke. It's a blocking foul when Syracuse is playing at UVA.

It's a no call hosting Duke or at Maryland.

That call at Duke was terrible.

It's a no call hosting Duke or at Maryland.

That call at Duke was terrible.

Keita's blocking call at UVA really DID look like a charge and they called it a block. At that point my mind gave up on understanding the rule. There might as well be no rule at all and just let referees call whatever they want based on how the play "feels".

Some of my wants are already rules:

[ ] Freedom of movement to be increased. Anything that promotes movement on offense and hustle on defense rather than clutch and grab (which they are working on now). This has to continue to be called ticky tack until it's adopted by most teams. I don't care if people hate the NBA, the freedom of movement allows for a much better brand of basketball and doesn't reward players that aren't as good as others (or aren't working as hard).

[ ] Fully adopt the NBA rules and spirit of the rules regarding blocks v. charges. Taking straight aim at the hoop and barreling into a defender should never be allowed, but understanding when an offensive player commits to the act of shooting has to be defined better and a bang/bang call should always go to the offensive player. We want more games where a game-changing play is contested at the point of attack (see Rak's defensive play at the end of the game versus Duke syracuse) versus a charge (see @Duke).

No reset on the 10 second back court limit, 30 second shot clock and keeping coaches off the court are all things I agree with.

Yes. A lot better. My vote is to eliminate the 34-Chuck offense entirely. It's ruining the game.

Here's my vote for ACC Tourney Mascot: Arnold Ziffel. He looks the part, and even comes from the same farmfield where the Tourney's being played, right (Greenacres?).

ACC Mascot.jpg

Yes. A lot better. My vote is to eliminate the 34-Chuck offense entirely. It's ruining the game.
instead you would have the 29-chuck offense. When were more points scored pre shot clock or 35 second shot clock?

Move the three-point arc to the NBA distance. This would open more space in the half-court for player movement and post-ups. It may also discourage some of the awful shot selection that currently takes place. Finally, the mid-range game might be emphasized more because of this change, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom