ND Contract with NBC Extended to 2029 | Syracusefan.com

ND Contract with NBC Extended to 2029

Looks like they will be able to stay independent for the foreseeable future.

I think once the expansion to a 12-team playoff was finalized, ND's independence was locked in for the foreseeable future

2029 is probably a tell of something….
I thought so too. But now that I’m thinking about it. It’s the year before the other conferences start to become available. They want to get the big money prior to it all getting spent.

I think once the expansion to a 12-team playoff was finalized, ND's independence was locked in for the foreseeable future
Exactamente. They will gladly top out in the 5 v. 12 game to keep their independence. If you want to be conspiratorial about it, you could say that Sankey's, the SEC commissioner, came up with the idea of limiting a non-conference champ to that game - a. to make having more than one SEC team in the playoff more palatable to the other conferences and b. to keep ND out of the B1G or ACC.

Exactamente. They will gladly top out in the 5 v. 12 game to keep their independence. If you want to be conspiratorial about it, you could say that Sankey's, the SEC commissioner, came up with the idea of limiting a non-conference champ to that game - a. to make having more than one SEC team in the playoff more palatable to the other conferences and b. to keep ND out of the B1G or ACC.
I think having Sankey and Swarbrick on the committee that came up with that plan was a recipe for keeping and strengthening the status quo.

It's been 35 years since they won their last natty but they are still 'special'.
As long as their delusional fans keep watching they're "special" to NBC.

ND is consistent which I respect vs the pirates who are ready to blow up what they built over money. I put us in that cat when we set the self destruction mechanism for the conf we founded. It was necessary but we do things purely to maximize money. Nd so far hasn’t. They are leaving cash on the table for sure.

99.9% of other programs wouldn’t

What a world. A lacrosse school getting paid those dollars.

I remember watching their last football title. I was wearing fat laces while sipping Crystal Pepsi.

What a world. A lacrosse school getting paid those dollars.

I remember watching their last football title. I was wearing fat laces while sipping Crystal Pepsi.
I was in 6th grade taking the afterschool bus to Song Mountain every Monday during the ski season.

The Cowboys haven’t won a Super Bowl in 28 years and they’re still the most watched team in the NFL.

Sometimes a brand is more powerful than results.

Notre Dame had to go to a national schedule once the Big Ten schools - likely motivated by anti-Catholic bigotry - refused to play Notre Dame. Once Notre Dame had a national schedule, they built a huge fan base amongst Catholic immigrants. Then ND made a conscious decision to essentially give away their radio rights in major cities with large Catholic populations, further building their fan base.

I’ve brought this up on the board before - I question if some of the continuing animosity towards Notre Dame is in part fueled by a complete unwillingness to acknowledge how we got here, because bigotry is a big part of the story. And if we have the misfortune to pick up an anti-Catholic radio broadcast from a John MacArthur or James White type - we might have to accept that bigotry is still a big part of the story.

Crystal Pepsi was sold from ‘92-94, so ND’s 1988 title predates that.
Nice research! But not so fast my friend. My dad was head of northeast product development and I had beta crystal in late ‘88. I actually said “I think this is a winner”

Years later I’d make the exact prediction about Greg Robinson.

My track record speaks for itself

ND is consistent which I respect vs the pirates who are ready to blow up what they built over money. I put us in that cat when we set the self destruction mechanism for the conf we founded. It was necessary but we do things purely to maximize money. Nd so far hasn’t. They are leaving cash on the table for sure.

99.9% of other programs wouldn’t
The BE is a totally unique situation. It was founded for only 1 sport: mens basketball. It was not intended to be an all sports conference. Its one purpose was to be a truly Major conference for basketball, with no interest at all in anything else.

PSU going BT changed that of necessity, because PSU informed Pitt, Syracuse, and BC that it would rarely play any of them after playing a full BT schedule. So decays they all played 1A football (the only 3 in the then 9 member BE), they informed the BE office that either it must find a way to sponsor football or else they would be forced to explore other options. Because the ACC then refuse to take Miami as its 10th, the BE had a way to form a viable football division by making Miami its 10th member. Then it could add 4 schools just for football (VT, WVU, Rutgers, Temple) and play football. But the other early BE members never took to that league with decidedly split interests, and the BE would have major tension until the football schools all left.

So Syracuse had its hand forced. Syracuse was not looking to leave, but had to leave if it wished to remain a part of the top level of CFB.

Saw this from yesterday, and it will be interesting how the P5 schools and conferences navigate Notre Dame when this does happen (and lets be honest it will)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom