ND holds all the cards here... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ND holds all the cards here...

I honestly don't think it is a case of Notre Dame showing the ACC is where they want to be. They joined because the ACC was willing to give them partial membership which is what they craved most after the weakening of the Big East. Neither the Big Ten or Big 12 was willing to give that arrangement -- and they did inquire about it with both places.

I don't think this is accurate. Wasnt there an article out there that had the B12 commish say he was upset that ND didnt accept their invite for partial membership??

If circumstances ever forced ND to join a conference, which conference would they want to join? I think their actions indicate that they prefer the ACC over Big-10/12/Pac-10. And that makes sense (to me, at least) for other reasons (East coast connections, academics, private universities, contains some traditional rivals, provides easier path to conference title and undefeated season) as well. ND has the option to save the ACC by joining full time now, or at least by helping it cut a better deal, and so doesn't ND have to at least look at whether they act now to save the ACC, and perhaps even join as a full member, because if they don't do it now the ACC may be gone and ND may be left with less attractive options down the road? Could this situation force ND's hand in favor of the ACC?

If circumstances ever forced ND to join a conference, which conference would they want to join? I think their actions indicate that they prefer the ACC over Big-10/12/Pac-10. And that makes sense (to me, at least) for other reasons (East coast connections, academics, private universities, contains some traditional rivals, provides easier path to conference title and undefeated season) as well. ND has the option to save the ACC by joining full time now, or at least by helping it cut a better deal, and so doesn't ND have to at least look at whether they act now to save the ACC, and perhaps even join as a full member, because if they don't do it now the ACC may be gone and ND may be left with less attractive options down the road? Could this situation force ND's hand in favor of the ACC?

I said this same thing in another thread. This is what I am thinking.

I don't think this is accurate. Wasnt there an article out there that had the B12 commish say he was upset that ND didnt accept their invite for partial membership??

It's possible, though I missed that if it happened. I was under the impression there was talk of the partial membership with the Big 12 but they (Big 12) ultimately decided against it. I do know the Big Ten was approached about Notre Dame last fall with a very similar arrangement they struck with the ACC, though. That came shortly after Notre Dame tried to join the Big Ten hockey league.

I don't think it's accurate to assume ND prefers the ACC to the B1G based on their becoming a partial member in the ACC - that may just mean the B1G wasn't open to that sort of arrangement.

Now, I do think the ACC makes the most sense for ND in a lot of ways, I just think people are reading more into their partial membership than they should.

ND could give a crap about the ACC. They joined the ACC because it was the only conference with an automatic BCS bid that was willing to let them join part time. It's actually another example of the precarious position the ACC is now in.

The big domino's that need to fall are the following:

1- PAC12 if they want to get to 16 they either need to for an East Coast Pod or take the Texas/OK foresome. There are no other options to get to 16.

2- LHN (Long Horn Network) If the LHN fails then the Texas will want out and the BIG12 will fold.

3- ND Do they want to be in the left over conference or do they want to be in one of the big 3 conferences. Make no mistake there isn't a big 5 conference or a big 4 conference. There are only 3 conferences that have major power.

Those are the three questions that need to be answered.

The one money point that has not been discussed is where is the break-even? Until the exit fee is determined by a court of law nobody knows. How many years of extra revenue from a new conference does it take to get the exit fee back?

If the $50 million exit fee holds up than we get the following:
Additonal $/ Break-even
2 million = 25 years​
3 million = 16.7 years​
4 million = 12.5 years​
5 million = 10.0 years​
6 million = 8.3 years​
7 million = 7.1 years​
8 million = 6.3 years​
All the ACC has to accomplish is to get the BE to something above 10-12 years and the financial incentive starts to be questionable, especially with many cards left to be dealt.​

If we believe in the 4 super conference model then the Big 12 and the ACC are on the cusp.

At the moment 63 teams are in the five conferences that will shrink to 4:
Big 10 - 14 (counting Maryland and Rutgers) needs to add 2​
PAC 12 - 12 needs to add 4​
SEC - 14 needs to add 2​
These three need to add 8 teams to get to 16 each.​
It is easy to figure out how the Big 10 and SEC get their 16 (after all, they only need 4 between them) but what does the PAC 12 do? What 4 teams are worth the prize?​
So, we need to figure out which 16, 20 or 24 teams wind up in whatever combination of the ACC and Big 12 is called. (By the way, the current lineup including ND totals 24.)​
Big 12 - 10 needs to add 6​
ACC - 13 (counting Syracuse and Pitt; not counting ND and minus Maryland) needs to add 3​
Together these two conferences have 23 and need to add 9 teams (not counting ND)​

Adding Louisville, Cincinnati and UConn to the 23 teams (not counting ND) currently in the ACC and Big 12 there are 26 teams with an uncertain future. Now, when looking over the teams below think population and TV cable subscribers - ask yourself what better combination is there for the NYC market than SU and ND. Whatever happens, I simply do not think we are left out of the final mix.
1 Baylor
2 Boston College
3 Cincinnati
4 Clemson
5 Duke
6 Florida State
7 Georgia Tech
8 Iowa State
9 Kansas
10 Kansas State
11 Louisville
12 Miami (Florida)
13 North Carolina
14 North Carolina State
15 Oklahoma
16 Oklahoma State
17 Pitt
18 Syracuse
19 TCU
20 Texas
21 Texas Tech
22 UConn
23 Virginia
24 Virginia Tech
25 Wake Forest
26 West Virginia

^ Here is what I see the end game being...

Big ACC (or whatever they call it) 16 team conference

1. ND
2. FSU
3. Clemson
4. WVU
5. Kansas
6. Kansas St
7. Syracuse
8. PITT
9. Duke
10. Wake Forest
11. TCU
12. Baylor
13. Miami
14. BC
15. Georgia Tech
16. Iowa State

This assumes ----

Pac 12 adds Ok, Ok ST, Texas and TTech
Big 10 adds UNC, Virgina
SEC adds NCST, VaTech

It's possible, though I missed that if it happened. I was under the impression there was talk of the partial membership with the Big 12 but they (Big 12) ultimately decided against it. I do know the Big Ten was approached about Notre Dame last fall with a very similar arrangement they struck with the ACC, though. That came shortly after Notre Dame tried to join the Big Ten hockey league.
Big 10 hockey league? The Big 10 hockey schools belong to 2 different leagues--CCHA and WCHA. Are there plans to form a stand-alone league?

Big 10 hockey league? The Big 10 hockey schools belong to 2 different leagues--CCHA and WCHA. Are there plans to form a stand-alone league?

Yes, that was announced last summer. It's already final, which is why Notre Dame approached the Big Ten about it. This came about after Penn State received the $80 million donation to form a hockey program. As of now, it's Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State. Illinois and Indiana have club teams and they're doing a feasibility study on becoming a fully-fledged member.

The Big Ten rejected Notre Dame's proposal to join, so they followed-up with a proposal to join as a partial member with a scheduling agreement in football. The Big Ten countered again with a transitional plan that would have made them full members in 5 years, but Notre Dame shot it down and the two ceased communications at that point.

Yeah, forgot to add ESPN has the bulk of the SEC deal. Thanks. Shift two from whichever conference is destroyed to the SEC and again, ESPN holds their inventory.

espn will be losing some sec rights in 2014 as sec is launching sec network similar to b10

espn will be losing some sec rights in 2014 as sec is launching sec network similar to b10

The SEC will partner with someone. The BTN partnered with Fox. The SEC is likely to partner with ESPN, who holds the bulk of their deal now, and is negotiating with them now.

^ Here is what I see the end game being...

Big ACC (or whatever they call it) 16 team conference

1. ND
2. FSU
3. Clemson
4. WVU
5. Kansas
6. Kansas St
7. Syracuse
8. PITT
9. Duke
10. Wake Forest
11. TCU
12. Baylor
13. Miami
14. BC
15. Georgia Tech
16. Iowa State

This assumes ----

Pac 12 adds Ok, Ok ST, Texas and TTech
Big 10 adds UNC, Virgina
SEC adds NCST, VaTech

What a freaking abortion. No thanks. It will be Patriot League and FCS football for me if those greedy sods f&ck things up so badly that this is the result.

they are but they will lose games off espn/2/u

Thanks. Have they said how many games will be retained? I think this year they had around 80 total games if memory serves me correctly.

no havent really got into details as its not starting until 2014

If Texas moves it will be to the ACC with Notre Dame and they will bring the other 3 with them. They would have been in last year except for the LHN. The Pac 12 didn't want the 4 according to rumors even if Texas didn't have LHN. They have more in common with the ACC then the PAC 12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom