ND & interesting... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ND & interesting...

So if this happens does that mean there will be no need to add another team since ND will be in it's "own division"?
Make three 5-team divisions, including ND in one. Play four games against your division and one team from each other division on a rotating basis. These 6 games count toward the conference championship, which will include the two division winners with the best records. Encourage, but not require, teams to schedule additional cross-divisional games by putting them early in the tie-breaking procedure.

It's not perfect, but a start and puts everyone on a somewhat level playing field. It allows ND to compete for a conference title on their terms, but also provides a carrot to up their committment to better their chances.

Or just have one big division, schedule 8 or 9 games against rotating opponents (6 for ND) and the two teams with the most ACC wins qualify for the championship game.

I tend to agree with Donnie. Adding ND a partial member can/will lead to a Pandora's box of problems. However, I understand why its being considered.

But if anyone thinks ND will agree to join a conference in 3-5-10 years is sniffing glue. I don't even see ND agreeing to a 6 game schedule. ND will remain independent at all costs.

ND as a Semi-Full member: A 15 team proposal

If ND doesn’t want to come as a full member, I’d rather stick with 14 or take UConn and Rutgers. But, as a third alternative, I’d grudgingly accept the following three-pronged proposal, which lets ND play for the conference championship:

•Two divisions, one with seven teams, and another with eight. ND will always be in the seven team division.
•Within-division records will be the primary determinant of the conference champions. Extradivisional records would only be used to break ties. The teams in the eight team division would play two extradivisional games each for a total conference schedule of nine games, and 16 total intradivisional games. Four of the teams in the 7 team division would play 3 extradivisional games for a nine game conference schedule. Two of the teams would play two extradivisional games for an 8 game conference schedule. ND would play no extradivisional games for a six game conference schedule. ND would just about always lose the tiebreaker.
•The memberships of the divisions will vary from year to year. Pods could be used to mix things up while still providing some consistency in the schedule. ND would be in a three team pod, meaning two teams they play every year. For example, the three possible combinations of the following pods could be cycled every three years:

Outlier Pod: BC Miami ND
Northern Pod: Maryland Pitt VT Syracuse
Central Pod: Duke NCSt UNC, UVa
Southern Pod: Clemson, FSI, GT, Wake
If ND could be coaxed into seven games, then you could add another team and have two 8 team divisions, and (4) 4 team pods.

ND will do anything to remain independent is a correct statement. However, ND is trending downward and 5-10 years from now NBC or any other station may not want an exclusive deal with ND, thus forcing them into a confrence. This deal ties them to the ACC in case that happens. I think this is a good deal as long as, like others have stated, there are penelties if they don't join. Penelties like a 60 mill exit fee, lose of 10 scholorships a year, vacate all wins from 98 on, etc.

ND will do just as much for ACC football as they did for the Big East. The ACC should have the guts to tell them to take a walk.

ND will do anything to remain independent is a correct statement. However, ND is trending downward and 5-10 years from now NBC or any other station may not want an exclusive deal with ND, thus forcing them into a confrence. This deal ties them to the ACC in case that happens. I think this is a good deal as long as, like others have stated, there are penelties if they don't join. Penelties like a 60 mill exit fee, lose of 10 scholorships a year, vacate all wins from 98 on, etc.

Never heard of a penelty.

ACC following the same failed plan the BE did back in the day.

Either ND is all in or they are out. At this stage in the game, ND needs the ACC more than the ACC needs ND as a part-time member.

My question is this: Why does ND have to be a partial member? If they truly are looking for a new home for their Olympic sports, tell them, "Sure, we'll give you a full schedule of games against ACC teams. As many games as you want. You want 10 volleyball games, you got it. You want to play SU, Duke, Maryland, UNC and Virginia in lacrosse? No problem. Men's basketball? How do regular games against Syracuse, Pitt, UNC, Duke, GT, and all of the others sound? We would be happy to play you. Each and every one of us. Girl's basketball? Have we got a slate of games for you! We will schedule all the games you want -- just as if you were a member. Of course, you're not a member, are you?"

They would get all of the games, but they wouldn't get conference standing or the chance to win championships in the conference. Such is life as an independent.

Today on ESPN web site...both in rumors, ACC lunch time and ESPNinsider, there have been 4 articles on Notre Dame and the ACC...according to NCState source, ACC holding strong...the quid pro quo will be millions in penalty if Notre Dame moves forward and then doesnt bring in Football.
Interestingly, the ESPNinsider article by Ryan McGmost senior writer for ESPN Magazine, indicates that this engagement is closer than it ever was...a perfect storm may be upon the ACC and Notre Dame...this is not as crazy as most of us believed 6 months or a year ago....next few weeks are going to be very interesting.

If ND wants to be a partial member, fine. Here is the deal, every game vs an ACC opponent in football is on the road. ND gets no home games vs ACC opponents. Schedule your home games vs USC, Purdue, Mich, Mich St, Navy...etc

That is the buy-in for NOT joining in football but wanting a home for hoops, woman's sports, and everything else.

Unrealistic I know and it will never happen. But there is nothing to gain by having ND be a partial member. Because first chance they get to bolt and screw ya they will.

I really dont see ND giving up independance in football. But long term I do NOT want another hybrid conference with partial members. 5 years, 10 years TOPS you bring in football or theres something like a $75 mil penalty. That very well would mean no deal gets done, so be it. I'd rather have 14 schools all in than get jerked around by ND for another 20 years.

If ND wants to be a partial member, fine. Here is the deal, every game vs an ACC opponent in football is on the road. ND gets no home games vs ACC opponents. Schedule your home games vs USC, Purdue, Mich, Mich St, Navy...etc

That is the buy-in for NOT joining in football but wanting a home for hoops, woman's sports, and everything else.

Unrealistic I know and it will never happen. But there is nothing to gain by having ND be a partial member. Because first chance they get to bolt and screw ya they will.

If you don't mind the possibility of FSU, Clemson, other schools bolting due to instability and money concerns, then your hard line stance is fine. Me? I'm all about the mitigation of risk. My end goal is to not to re-live the summer of '03 and end up in a weakened conference. Wouldn't it be a pisser to be in a big boy league again only to have 2 or 3 of the biggest members bolt for more cash? If the ACC wants to shore up their long term stability and cement their spot as a big-boy conference, they will bend over and submit to ND (at least within reason i.e 4-6 game min)

If you don't mind the possibility of FSU, Clemson, other schools bolting due to instability and money concerns, then your hard line stance is fine. Me? I'm all about the mitigation of risk. My end goal is to not to re-live the summer of '03 and end up in a weakened conference. Wouldn't it be a pisser to be in a big boy league again only to have 2 or 3 of the biggest members bolt for more cash? If the ACC wants to shore up their long term stability and cement their spot as a big-boy conference, they will bend over and submit to ND (at least within reason i.e 4-6 game min)
Maybe I'm missing something but why would ND, without their football, be any help in keeping Clemson, FSU, or any other football 1st school? An extra game against ND every 3-4 years isn't going to be the diff between leaving or not. The only way ND helps there is as a full member bringing extra football revenue to everyone.

Maybe I'm missing something but why would ND, without their football, be any help in keeping Clemson, FSU, or any other football 1st school? An extra game against ND every 3-4 years isn't going to be the diff between leaving or not. The only way ND helps there is as a full member bringing extra football revenue to everyone.

There has got to be some financial incentive to the league to even have them as a partial member (6 per year), no?

There has got to be some financial incentive to the league to even have them as a partial member (6 per year), no?
Would think it would add a bit of revenue to those teams playing those games against ND that particular year. I'm sure its something, but I don't see it as the difference between staying and leaving.

Give them the 6 games per year on NBC but acc gets 45% of the revenue. That way the ACC makes more money and gets more exposure, Notre Dame gets in the conference they want. They have worked really hard, with all the moves as head of the football committee, to make the Big East look ridiculous, and irrelevent so I believe they are planning on a move ,but where?

mark blaudschun @blauds
Word has it ACC and ND are considering 6 game a year plan with ACC teams plus other sports as part of a deal to bring ND to ACC

Question because of not knowing the Big East Rules, but would Notre Dame also be subject to the 27 month waiting period in the Big East like Syracuse and Pitt were? Or is this waiting period just for football members?

Question because of not knowing the Big East Rules, but would Notre Dame also be subject to the 27 month waiting period in the Big East like Syracuse and Pitt were? Or is this waiting period just for football members?
Very good question. I would assume that any school that wanted to leave (all sports or just BB only) would be subject to the 27 month waiting period. But I don't know that for a fact. The BE has never had a bb-only leave.

FSU would have to be crazy to go be a geographical outlier in the B12 and bow down to what Texas always wants, knowing that if (even if that IF is 1%) ND chooses a conf it likely will be the ACC. Especially if ND has all of its other sports already in the ACC. The "threat" of ND on day joining should be enough to keep FSU away from the B12. The SEC on the other hand it wouldn't.

If ND were added as a partial member could the ACC, ESPN, and Raycom all partner to create an ACCN? Wouldn't it be in the best interest of all 3? Also Raycom Sports can't be making a ton of money. Could the ACC (with the help of ESPN) simply buy Raycom Sports from Raycom and then start an ACCN?