ND O-lineman transferring for 5th year | Syracusefan.com

ND O-lineman transferring for 5th year

We don't have any room for any new players next year. Unless someone doesn't qualify, we're at the maximum allowable 25.

Are you sure a 5th yr transfer counts towards that limit?

Are you sure a 5th yr transfer counts towards that limit?
I want to say yes. I believe the NCAA doesn't let you admit more than 25 new members on scholarship in any year. I am not sure if you can award a 26th scholarship to a walk-on, as a one-year arrangement, if that player has been on the team for at least one semester before. It may be that you can't award more than 25 new scholarships (I think the NCAA calls them grants-in-aid) in any year, regardless of to whom they are given, in which case we aren't going to be rewarding any walk-ons this year.

I want to say yes. I believe the NCAA doesn't let you admit more than 25 new members on scholarship in any year. I am not sure if you can award a 26th scholarship to a walk-on, as a one-year arrangement, if that player has been on the team for at least one semester before. It may be that you can't award more than 25 new scholarships (I think the NCAA calls them grants-in-aid) in any year, regardless of to whom they are given, in which case we aren't going to be rewarding any walk-ons this year.

Everyone counts.

25 is 25. Doesn't matter if they're freshmen or transfers.

If a walk-on has been on the team for at least two years, you can give him a scholarship and it doesn't count against the 25 (as long as you still have room under the 85 limit). See NCAA Rule 15.5.6.3.6

We should have room with Sloan and Coleman done.

Are you sure transfers count in the 25? Juco transfer but I'm not sure regular transfer- hadn't heard that before.

Everyone counts.

25 is 25. Doesn't matter if they're freshmen or transfers.

If a walk-on has been on the team for at least two years, you can give him a scholarship and it doesn't count against the 25 (as long as you still have room under the 85 limit). See NCAA Rule 15.5.6.3.6
thats not true if he wanted to transfer and walkon and not be on scholie..

Wouldn't this be blocked by the ACC?
That would be the case with another ACC team, but I am not sure if that is part of the agreement with ND. Technically they are not a part of the conference for football.

Someone will not qualify. I would be willing to bet my life's savings that there are recruits who will not qualify.

I would hope he is doing it for academics, then.

He is doing it for playing time. He started 11 of 13 games for ND last year, but was just told by the coaches that they were switching positions on him.

He is being pressed for playing time next year by a number of younger, highly rated offensive linemen. Here is his parting statement:

"I am extremely grateful for the opportunity that the Notre Dame Football program has afforded me," Hegarty said. "I want to thank Notre Dame, my coaches, my teammates and friends at school for the four great years I had at Notre Dame. I also want to thank the Notre Dame Nation for all of their support over the years. My focus has been to pour myself into everything that I have done at ND. I have worked hard and have always done everything that was asked of me. Recently my coaches informed me that they wanted me to change positions. They also explained that with many younger players in the wings, they wanted to develop them more heavily in the rotation -- a need that I understand and appreciate.

"Unfortunately, I have already had to miss a precious amount of football battling back from my stroke, and I value every rep and opportunity going into my final year of college ball that much more. My goal is to contribute this season, continue to develop my skills and pursue my dream of playing in the NFL. Because of this goal, I have asked for a transfer to play at another school where I can contribute more on the field. Notre Dame has amassed formidable depth on the O-line and have many very talented players to fill all positions.

"So I wish everyone at ND the best this year and especially to my 15 brothers on the offensive line as they prepare for the 2015 season."

NJCuse97 said:
That would be the case with another ACC team, but I am not sure if that is part of the agreement with ND. Technically they are not a part of the conference for football.

I don't think it matters when you do the grad school 5th yr transfer I think you can go anywhere.