ND should pay to have access to the olympic sports | Syracusefan.com

ND should pay to have access to the olympic sports

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
I'm a believer in ND being allowed to remain independent. If it's that important who is it for anyone else to balk at. However, the way money is completely souring the entire college sports industrial complex and how they are so public about wanting Stanford and Cal (presumably to increase their academic standing as well as increasing the inventory for their ACC games) is it too much to ask for ND to pony up money to the other members to keep this boat afloat? I feel like their relationship with the league is at a crossroads and if they want to play at the "winged foot or shinnecock" of basketball leagues, they should pay to do so. Or, just join for everything and allow them to fold the NBC deal into the league's payout.

ND is required to play what, 5 ACC schools per year? That's a fallacy; because they would, at a minimum, play 2-3 current ACC opponents anyway. So they get their Olympic sports teams in the conference of their choice, for 2 extra ACC football games per season? No, that's too big a bargain. Sure, remain independent in football; but, to keep all the benefits of having your other teams in the ACC, ND football should be required to play a full ACC football schedule. That's 8 games.

I'm a believer in ND being allowed to remain independent. If it's that important who is it for anyone else to balk at. However, the way money is completely souring the entire college sports industrial complex and how they are so public about wanting Stanford and Cal (presumably to increase their academic standing as well as increasing the inventory for their ACC games) is it too much to ask for ND to pony up money to the other members to keep this boat afloat? I feel like their relationship with the league is at a crossroads and if they want to play at the "winged foot or shinnecock" of basketball leagues, they should pay to do so. Or, just join for everything and allow them to fold the NBC deal into the league's payout.

Boy, that Shitbrick is such a stand up guy.

ND is required to play what, 5 ACC schools per year? That's a fallacy; because they would, at a minimum, play 2-3 current ACC opponents anyway. So they get their Olympic sports teams in the conference of their choice, for 2 extra ACC football games per season? No, that's too big a bargain. Sure, remain independent in football; but, to keep all the benefits of having your other teams in the ACC, ND football should be required to play a full ACC football schedule. That's 8 games.

I just think the road needs to go two ways. I'm fine with ND having their own independence. As i've said ad nauseum, we'd do the same thing if we had the brand to support our own independence. No chance in hell Syracuse would operate on some higher philanthropic level to support other schools. Cmon, never would happen. Magnanimity is not how we've operated (we left the big east in the cold, which was our choice).

But, if they are going to be supplemented by our conference's riches in the olympic sports (and basketball) I think the relationship needs to be revised if the ACC will survive. Maybe ND wants the ACC to not survive and that's fine too. Again, their MO. But if it's in their best interest for the ACC to remain viable, they can do other than things than simply remove the independence title for football. Swarbrick and the ACC can be creative here to get people "trued up" financially to at least make the conference viable for the next 3-5 years

They've won like 30 straight regular season games vs the ACC in FB yes they should be booted out of the conference for olympic sports.

They'd go right back to the Big East though and not care.

They've won like 30 straight regular season games vs the ACC in FB yes they should be booted out of the conference for olympic sports.

They'd go right back to the Big East though and not care.
Probably right. I think the floor is moving so fast that ND needs to help us financially to preserve the ACC or there won’t be an ACC.

May not be one anyway.