Net Point, Etc. | Syracusefan.com

Net Point, Etc.

SWC75

Bored Historian
I’ve added so many things to my post-game “Net Points” posts over the years that it’s become a very long post to read and a longer one to do. I’ve decided to have separate posts for the numbers for a particular game and for the cumulative season totals. It’s the later that takes most of the time and lengthens the post so much. There was too much verbiage and too many numbers.

I’m still going to figure the season totals but I’ll post them at three different stages of the season: after the pre-conference schedule, after the conference schedule and after the post season. In the meantime, I’ll go with this stream-lined version of “Net Points, etc.” after each game, with numbers and commentary only for that game. That should make it both quicker to do and more digestible.

NET POINTS
(points + rebounds + assists + steals + blocks minus missed field goals and free throws, turnovers and personal fouls)

Tyler Roberson +25
Malachi Richardson +12
Michael Gbinije +11
Tyler Lydon +10
Trevor Cooney +6
DaJuan Coleman +3
Franklin Howard -2
Kaleb Joseph DNP
Chinoso Obokoh DNP

AWARDS

Offensive Dude of the Game, (O-Dog)
(Points plus assists)
Malachi Richardson 24

Individual Offensive Efficiency
(Points minus field goal and free throw attempts)
Tyler Lydon +1

Sat Us Down
(Who scored the first SU basket of each half)
1st half: Tyler Roberson with a tip-in after 4:11
2nd Half: Trevor Cooney lay-up after 2:54

TACO Bell MVP
(Who scored the point that got us to 70, which gets you free tacos with your ticket stub)
Trevor Cooney with a free throw with 36 seconds left.

My Man
(Who played the most minutes)
Michael Gbinije 39 minutes

Team Stats:

POSSESSION

Rebounding
(Add each team’s offensive rebounds to their opponent’s defensive rebounds. Then figure the offensive rebounds as a percentage of that)
We rebounded 16 of34 misses = 47.1%
They rebounded 10 of their 42 misses = 23.8%

Effective Offensive Rebounding
(Divide second chance points by the offensive rebounds)
We got 16 points on 16 O-Rebs = 1.0 points
They got 4 points on 10 O-Rebs =0.4 points

Turnovers
(Total turnovers – steals = unforced turnovers)
We had 15 turnovers – 8 steals = 7 unforced
They had 9 turnovers - 7 steals = 2 unforced

Points from Turnovers
(Points off turnovers divided by the number of turnovers the other team had)
We had 9 points from 9 turnovers = 1.0 points
They had 10 points from 15 turnovers = 0.7 points

Manufactured Possessions
(One teams rebounds + the other team’s turnovers)
We had 48 + 9 = 57
They had 28 + 15 = 43

SCORING

Shooting
(shots made and attempted and the percentage for two point goal attempts, three point attempts and free throws)
We were 13 for 31 on twos, (.419), 8 of 22 on threes (.364) and 20 for23 on frees (.870)
They were 12 for 34 on twos (.353), 6 for 22 on threes (.273) and 9 for 19 on frees (.474)

(PIP= points in the paint, POP = points outside the paint, which is total points – PIP –free throws made, TREY: points from three point shots, TZ= Twilight Zone, which is POP – TREY, two point jumpers from outside the paint, FBP = fast break points)
We had 26 PIP, 24 POP, 24 TREY, 0 TZ, 0 FBP
They had 20 PIP, 22 POP, 18 TREY, 4 TZ, 2 FBP

First Chance/Second Chance
(FCP is First Chance Points, which is total points - second chance points – fast break points – free throws made, courtesy of Pat. SCP is second chance points.)
We had 34 FCP and 16 SCP
They had 36 FCP and 4 SCP

Starters/Bench
(Total points – bench points = starters points)
Our starters scored 56 points and our bench scored 14 points
Their starters scored 45 points and their bench scored 6 points

Assists
(The percentage of a team’s baskets that were assisted)
We assisted 10 of our 21 field goals, 47.6%
They assisted 11 of their 18 field goals 61.1%

Team Offensive Efficiency
(Possessions: Field goals attempted - offensive rebounds + turnovers + 47.5% of free throws attempted. Efficiency is total points divided by possessions)
We scored 70 points in 63 possessions = 1.11 points/possession
They scored 51 points in 64 possessions = 0.80 points/ possession
It was a 127 possession game

Breakdown by Quarters
(Points scored between the beginning of the game and the 10 minute mark of the first half, then halftime, then the 10 minute mark of the second half, the end of regulation and then overtime of there was one)
13-15, 17-13, 18-5, 22-18

FOULS
(Two point shots, points in paint and free throws attempted per times fouled.)
We attempted 31 two point shots, scored 26 points in the paint, attempted 23 free throws and were fouled 16 times = 1.9, 1.6, 1.4
They attempted 34 two point shots, scored 26 points in the paint, attempted 19 free throws and were fouled 17 times = 2.0, 1.5, 1.1

Comments:

- Dayton prevented our best player, Michael Gbinije from having a big game but his teammates made them play for it.

- Yes, Tyler Lydon, who didn’t appear to be having a good game, was more offensively efficient than Malachi Richardson. Lydon scored 14 points on 7 field goal attempts and 6 free throws while Mal scored 21 points on 12 field goal attempts and 9 free throws.

- We’ve had games this year where somebody else crushed us on the boards it was fun to see us do it to somebody else. We’ve generally stayed in the games where we got crushed but Dayton was unable to.

- One of the reasons was the two stats I’ve started keeping track off this year: effective offensive rebounding and points per turnover, both of which seem to have a strong relation to winning the game. Both teams had a combined 25 turnovers created and offensive rebounds but we got 25 points off those plays to 14 for Dayton. Our margin was greater than that but it would have bene a different game without those advantages. I think these stats just reflect the aggression and opportunism of the teams.

- Another huge factor was that we were +11 from the line.

- We had 8 threes, 8 more than we did two years ago. If we’d had 8 threes then, we’d have won that game easily, too.

- In our last two games we lost the bench points stat by an absurd 32-105. This game it was 14-6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom